Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ever done your Grocery shopping online?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I've never done my Grocery Shopping online but i will soon because Vons is offers free delivery for your first order...Has anyone ever done it?

Quote Originally Posted by KeepingUp View Post
    I've never done my Grocery Shopping online but i will soon because Vons is offers free delivery for your first order...Has anyone ever done it?
    I used to shop with Homegrocer.com when they were still in business. I loved it! They would throw in freebies and samples with pretty much every order. I always got my complete order and it was delivered within the time frame I wanted.

I've always wondered why they went out of business...

ETA: Apparently they merged with another company and the service level went way down. I don't remember why I stopped shopping with them, though.
    Last edited by oxysback; 09-03-2008 at 10:11 AM.
    Road Bike: 2008 Orbea Aqua Dama TDF/Brooks B-68

Ellen
    www.theotherfoote.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by oxysback View Post
    The three word answer: Dot Com Bust

They got swept up in the plummeting tech/dotcom sector stock drops in the early 00's and they couldn't keep up the operational costs. So, they sold the name/business. That was unfortunate, since for the most part they had their act together. (My personal favorite home delivery dot com convenience service went out at the same time, and I was similarly sad.)

I miss Webvan.
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

I could use some groceries.... Hopefully stores will reopen tomorrow.
    Beth

Is candy groceries?
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

Quote Originally Posted by oxysback View Post
    I used to shop with Homegrocer.com when they were still in business. I loved it! They would throw in freebies and samples with pretty much every order. I always got my complete order and it was delivered within the time frame I wanted.

ETA: Apparently they merged with another company and the service level went way down. I don't remember why I stopped shopping with them, though.
    ...I know theres a Safeway in Portland, Oregon but I'm not sure if thats near to you...you can always find out if your interested...by going to Safeway.com
    They actually do home delivery and your first order comes with a free delivery charge and there are exclusive online only offers which is really cool because it will save you money and time so you have nothing to lose the first time

Quote Originally Posted by dex View Post
    The three word answer: Dot Com Bust

They got swept up in the plummeting tech/dotcom sector stock drops in the early 00's and they couldn't keep up the operational costs. So, they sold the name/business. That was unfortunate, since for the most part they had their act together. (My personal favorite home delivery dot com convenience service went out at the same time, and I was similarly sad.)
    There's a Safeway in Seattle for sure so you can give it a try for home delivery especially since your first order is delivered for free

We did the Home Grocer thing for a little while and I seem to remember it being pretty cool. We stopped shopping like that though... (I mean for a week or twos worth of food at a time). I started shopping everyday, just for what I need a few years ago. That way I can decide what I want to eat then and there and I think we waste less produce - we don't have things go bad as much, just because we didn't get around to using them. I still do have issues with quantity on some items - sometimes I can't buy in bulk and have to get as much as the store wants to package.... With only two people in the house I don't need so much...
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

I shopped on line for about a year until the service went out of business. I loved it. However, I did not get produce from them, since it was poor quality and we have so many local farms/farm markets here. I would have continued.
    Our local store has a home delivery service, but you have to be home when they deliver (the service we had put a basic fridge in our garage, we gave them the code, and they came whenever on a certain day). I just can't say I am always going to be home at a certain time, so it was back to the store for us.

Another thing ordering groceries online is good for is helping you stick to a diet plan or even if your just trying to eat better. I always find myself looking at those 1.99 cookies on sale at the end of the aisle lol.

Safeway.com

I live in Portland and have been using Safeway.com for about a year now. If your order is over $150 then it's free delivery. I shop online about once a month, it's easy to go over $150 that way. I only need to stop at the store myself about 1 or 2 times a month, to pick up milk or salad stuff, or prescriptions. I'm usually in and out in about 10 minutes. When I stopped in today, that was the first time in 3 wks. I've decided I really dislike having to wander all the aisles myself, dodging the screaming kids, standing in the checkout lines, etc. I spend about an hour online, pay by credit card, pick what day I want delivery - you get to choose between a 2-hour window or a 4-hour window. 4hr window is cheaper delivery than 2hr, but a non-issue if order is over $150. I figure once a month I can make sure I'm home at a certain time on a night of my choice. They deliver right to my kitchen counter - bags are sorted so all freezer items together, fridge items together, then other stuff. I sign the receipt and off they go. Put groceries away, and it's done. (in fact, got delivery at 7:30pm last night!) I'm spoiled now.

I plan to use them as long as they are around. I may check out other store's to see how they do - I thnk Natures NW does it and there may be a couple others, I'll have to do a search, see what's there now.

Edna

Quote Originally Posted by Zen View Post
    Is candy groceries?
    Yes. You can make a fine meal out of it.

i haven't done it but i've been curious as to how well they pick my vegetables and stuff lol

We have a milkman. I am overjoyed because of the fact we have a milkman. He brings milk (uh, duh?), chocolate milk, and various and assorted other juices/yogurt/dairy products. It is good.

Quote Originally Posted by moonlight89 View Post
    i haven't done it but i've been curious as to how well they pick my vegetables and stuff lol
    The fresh stuff has all been as good as what I would pick in the store. They have to pick good stuff, because you can refuse bad ones. When they deliver the groceries, I look at the fresh fruits and veggies and meat and dairy, etc, to make sure the expiration dates are not past, and that I want to keep the fresh stuff. So far, the only things I have sent back with the delivery driver, is some yogurt that was past exp date, and some bread they substituted with something I didn't like, and a substituted flavor of Oatmeal Bars that had dried fruit in it (I'm allergic to the preservatives in most dried fruits). When I return something, the driver makes note on a special sheet, and within two days, that $$ is credited to my credit card. I think that makes 4 items over the past 14 months. Not bad.

Edna