Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

cant beat this yeast infection!

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi all:

Im new to the board but am loving what I see here!

So, I am an avid rider, using my bike as my main transportation and continuously training for centuries. So, here is my issue....

I had to take a serious round of antibiotics at the beginning of the summer which resulted in a nasty yeast infection. I thought I fought it off homeopathically--garlic, yogurt, etc--but....it seem to come flaring back everytime I do a long ride! I am hitting between 75 and 100 miles just about every weekend so this is a real bummer.

Could it be that I keep passing it back by not cleaning my shorts enough? I use cold water and Dr. Bonners, per TYR's instructions.

Could it my position on the bike? I have been riding with the same saddle brand/type for years but just got a new bike. I have not gotten it professionally fit, could it be the adjustment? Am I bearing down to hard on my junk?

I eat a relatively low sugar diet, though I drink cytomax on the bike. I try to eat a lot of yogurt and take oral asidophilus (sp?).

Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated. Im training for a 125mile charity ride in 2 weeks and can't miss anytime on the bike (I took today off to try and recharge my flora ; ) )

Thanks!!!!!!!!

It could be due to your body's pH balance.
    If you have a natural foods store go there and ask the HBA staff for some assistance.
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

foothills of the Ozarks aka Tornado Alley
    Here's an old country doctor remedy--a buttermilk douche. You should get relief of symptoms in 15 minutes.

Another tip is to use that blow dryer after you shower.

I would first, make sure that you do not have a bacterial infection. I had one in the beginning of the season; no amount of natural cures will cure it! The symptoms were pretty much the same as a yeast infection, but the pain never abated. I would *think* it was gone, but it really wasn't. I wasted 6 weeks like this, when all it took was a quick check by my gyn. and a prescription. She said my numbers were "off the charts." I had never had one before, so it never crossed my mind.
    I started washing my shorts in HOT water after this. I know, all the tags say don't do this, but I haven't had a problem since I started this. And, I am very vigilant about changing out of my shorts after riding; no sitting around and eating and socializing. My extra pair of loose shorts go in the car with me for events/rides.

I found relief through an apple cider vinegar bath. Pour two cups of it into bath water and sit there for as long as you can. I also "blotted" myself with a diluted solution of it a couple of times throughout the day.

Have you been to the doc?
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

thanks for all the great advice! Im going to my doc on Monday. In the meantime, I am going to try an apple cider vinegar bath and maybe some yogurt suppositories. And washing my shorts in boiling water.

Anyone think this could be related to my seat being too high or my tilt being off?

ugh. Thanks so much everyone!!!!

Ummm washing shorts in boiling water sounds like a damn fine way to ruin them. Remember, they're synthetic as in related to plastics. Most chamois have built in anti-bacterial properties, but just like hanging out in a wet suit sitting in our shorts for hours and creating heat and humidity in the area is going to create the perfect circumstances for yeast.

So my favorite yeast infection cure is boric acid. Also good for killing ants! It sounds crazy but my friend who is a homeopathic superwoman recommended it. I go about using it one of two ways. I have empty gel caps I got at an herb shop and I'll fill a few and put them in. The other option that is uber soothing is to buy a vinegar douche and empty it out. I figure the vinegar is the least awful substance to have first been in the bottle. Then I dump a bit of boric acid in the bottom so it's maybe 1/4 deep and fill it with cool water. It dissolves better in hot but we don't want that. Shake the daylights out of it and use!

Usually one round of the boric acid douche will work but in case it doesn't I bust out the gel caps.

Another possibility is that your partner may be giving it back to you once it's gone. Guys can get a yeast infection too! They just usually aren't symptomatic so the back and forth can happen easily.

I second making sure it's not bacterial vaginosis. That can really suck! Worst part is no beer or alcohol during treatment.
    "True, but if you throw your panties into the middle of the peloton, someone's likely to get hurt."

yeast infection

I am presuming you have tried the proper antifungal vaginal creams/pessaries like miconazole you get get at the local drugstore or supermarket? these will sort the problem in a couple of days--

I always have washed my shorts in hot water and they have not deteriorated in 18 months of maybe 3 hot washes a week-- any anyway, better maybe to shorten the life of your shorts by a few months maybe than keep re-infecting yourself by only using cold water on them--

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    I used to get yeast infections when my lifestyle & diet was less healthy. When I started eating more healthy fruits and vegetables, vitamins, protein, more fresh foods....well the yeast infections never came back. Just my own experience.
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I'm a diflucan girl myself. I'm prone to these infections so my GYN will often prescribe over the phone. One quick pill and a week of eating yogurt every day does the trick.

To avoid them - sleep naked, no undies, not even cotton. Avoid any products for the nether regions that contain antibiotics, even antibiotic soap (use a mild regular soap), and don't ever use A&D ointment or anything like it as a lube or chamois cream. Change your undies/shorts right after you're done exercising in them, and shower right away if you can. Only use soap once a day in the area - if you shower more than once just rinse with water. And eat lots of yogurt. One a day to keep the doctor away (forget about apples, LOL!) Oh, and I just learned that you should avoid lubes that have any glucose/glucogen in them, as the sugar feeds the yeast.

If you are on a birth control pill, you might want to see if there is a low dose version available. This can make a difference too.

BTW - Fear of the yeasties is what has kept me from wearing cycling shorts with chamois. I'm convinced that it's an insulated breeding ground for yeast, especially since some have antibacterial properties. I wear unpadded wicking shorts and wicking underwear (Patagonia briefs) and haven't had any issues.

Quote Originally Posted by mairead View Post
    thanks for all the great advice! Im going to my doc on Monday. In the meantime, I am going to try an apple cider vinegar bath and maybe some yogurt suppositories. And washing my shorts in boiling water.

Anyone think this could be related to my seat being too high or my tilt being off?

ugh. Thanks so much everyone!!!!
    Your saddle in and of itself will not cause a yeast infection--which has to do with your pH balance being off. However, a saddle that isn't adjusted properly can cause some contact abrasion and discomfort that can feel an awful lot like a yeast infection. Your doctor will be able to determine what you have, and I would suggest getting a proper diagnosis before resorting to any of the OTC yeast infection products out there (like Monistat).

I finally got my situation sorted out and have been problem free for a few months now, but it did require (in order) getting ride of a bad saddle sore, treating the resulting yeast infection that I got from overcleaning myself, treating the abrasion that my saddle was causing me with a topical Cortizoid cream, getting my bike and saddle refit to eliminate the discomfort that caused the saddle sore in the first place. Oh, what a vicious circle that was!
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

diflucan is awesome. i went through an entire year of getting them every month after my hysterectomy. the diflucan always took care of it. i second the thing about your partner. especially if he is uncircumsized. i have gotten quite a few from my husband from this. and make sure you dry off after bathing. nothing helped more than drying extra (and cutting back on soda)!!

I'd wash the shorts on hot for a while (or warm if your washer runs hot). I've personally found w/ yeast infections that doing undies and undie-like garments (ie, cycling shorts) in hot/warm water is necessary to prevent recurrance. (I also avoid washing socks with undies/cycling shorts unless it is a hot/warm wash, cause socks can be a source of yeast).

I do my shorts periodically in warm/hot (but always air dry them) and they've held up just fine for about two years of bi-weekly washing.

I would go to the doctor.

I count myself as very lucky -- I just don't get yeast infections -- I've never had one in my life. But as others have mentioned, there are various other things it could be that have similar symptoms and are relatively minor, but won't be cured by "natural" treatments or OTC yeast infection treatments.

Not sure if it would actually make a difference as far as yeast infections, but Cytomax makes a "lite" version, called Cytomax Lite. Dh and I use it and like it. You may not find it as easily as regular Cytomax, but whoever you buy Cytomax from can probably order it for you, or just get it on the internet. We buy ours at The Vitamin Shoppe usually. They sometimes have it in stock and sometimes not, but they order it for us. Dh found a good deal on the internet recently, though, so he ordered a bunch there. We like the raspberry iced tea flavor.

I researched about yeast infections recently and found a really old thread on this site where one person said don't wash down there ... ever (I don't get that, but I guess it's supposed to be okay!) and another person said to use baby soap, which is super gentle. That's what I've been doing lately.