Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Tour De Cure - Diabetes ride in Georgia

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi All,

I've never done a fundraising ride - this will be my first. Is anyone here doing this ride? I'll be by myself, but my brother was diagnosed with insulin-dependent Juvenile Diabetes 40 years ago, so this cause is very personal for me. Hope to see others there!

Leslie

I recently accepted the challenge of cycling in the American Diabetes Association's Tour de Cure fund-raising event. The Tour de Cure is a series of cycling events held in over 80 cities nationwide. The Tour is a ride, not a race; it features different route lengths from a leisurely 6-mile course to a demanding 100-mile journey. I have joined thousands of others to pedal in support of the Association's mission: to prevent and cure diabetes and to improve the lives of all people affected by diabetes.

I am asking you to help by supporting my fund-raising efforts with a donation. Your tax-deductible gift will make a difference in the lives of the 18 million Americans who suffer from diabetes and the 20 million people in the United States with pre-diabetes. It is faster and easier than ever to support this great cause - you can make your donation online by simply clicking on the link at the bottom of this message. If you would prefer, you can also send your tax-deductible contribution to the address listed below. More information on the American Diabetes Association, its programs and diabetes in general can be found at the Association's website: www.diabetes.org

Any amount, great or small, helps in the fight against this deadly disease. I greatly appreciate your support and will keep you posted on my progress.

Click here to Sponsor Me
    If the text above does not appear as a clickable link, you can visit the web address:
    http://main.diabetes.org/site/TR?px=...nal&fr_id=2310

I'm planning to do the ride. It is a cause that is very near and dear to my heart as well. Both of my grandmothers had diabetes and I also have a cousin with diabetes. Several friends that I ride with regularly (one of whom was diagnosed with diabetes about a year ago) are also doing the ride. I'm sure it will be a big crowd so I don't know how easy it will be to find people but maybe we'll see you out there.

I think it's awesome you two are doing the ride. I'm not in Georgia, so I'm not doing this ride, but this is a subject that's also near and dear to me because I'm diabetic.

I was first diagnosed when I was 19 or so and they estimate that I was diabetic for years, but not detected. Because of the diabetes, I have severe hypertension, kidney and liver issues, and both retinopathy and neuropathy. The kidney function was so bad, in fact, that when I was first diagnosed and additional tests run, three doctors didn't think I'd see 25.

I'm now 32.

But I nearly didn't make it. Do to the diabetes and the severe hypertension, before my 28th birthday, I had a stroke. My blood pressure at the time was 253/163. Needless to say, my doctors are all surprised I survived.

So, a sincere THANK YOU to everyone who does these charity rides.

Mel

PS: Leslie, sent you a donation to help make your pledge. Have fun on the ride.
    Last edited by Melody; 04-30-2005 at 10:28 PM.

Thank You!!!!!!!!!

Melody!

Thank you for your amazing and generous donation. I posted that on the Team Estrogen website, not even thinking anyone would read it, let alone donate. Your story and history are inspiring. My brother, thank god, hasn't had any serious complications - some eye issues, some circulation problems, and the surgeries to update his pump, but nothing like your problems - he's 45 this year, and has been diabetic since 8, so it's been a lifetime issue for him. His exercise of choice? Cycling, of course!

I am very, very touched by your donation. I was dragging a little bit today before I head out for my ride, but you've given me a big dose of motivation.

Thank you!