Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

Thanks for the tips newfsmith! Those pics are great and you did an excellent job of describing the procedure.

Thanks everyone! You are all wonderful, beautiful women!!!

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Quote Originally Posted by newfsmith View Post
    I am not a fan of twist-shifters. One winter I rode a bike with twist shifters and had wrist pain all winter that took months to go away. It has never come back since I sold that bike and have stuck to either flat bar or drop shifters of the conventional styles.

I absolutely think that the first priority has to be a frame that fits her, but if she is not too short or too tall, the bikes with flat foot technology might be a good choice if her hips are affected.

There are advantages to internal-geared hubs for commuting, most importantly the ability to shift gears while stopped. The Dual-Drive systems combine a triple chain-ring with an 8 speed IG rear hub, giving 24 gears, but still allowing you to down shift from a stop.

There is a trade-off with a front-suspension, you do lose some power, so it is important that your gearing makes up for that.

Another option to consider for brakes would be disc brakes. If she is going to commute in wet weather, they are ideal and I feel they require less grip strength.

Finally, don't count your Dad out completely. Get him on board in researching the available options and what might work best for her special needs.

Bikes I would suggest looking for
    http://www.breezerbikes.com/index.cf...TOKEN=81605061
    especially the Town bikes and new Finesse
    http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-US/bikes/lifestyle/
    especially the Suede and Transend series
    http://www.civiacycles.com/civiacompletebike.php
    if she thinks she could use a diamond frame, like the Suedes, this comes fully dressed
    http://www.electrabike.com/04/bikes/...06_twn_15.html
    the Townies tend to look like they were designed for a little girl, but this isn't too bad if you add your own fenders

Definitely would not recommend handlebar twist gear-shifters. For anyone who is abit weaker hand strength. (and for anyone with a smaller hand grip circumference). I've rented bikes like that and hate them.

Disc brakes are nice...but not frequently found in many bikes for beginners and do add more money to the price tag.

I am over 50 and have ra....a step thru is ideal. I have a redline and love it! I have 21 gears, but 10 would suffice nicely with "little hills". Also, a Brooks saddle is absolutely wonderful....wish I had bought mine years and years ago.
    I hope your Mom enjoys it. The more I pedal the less I hurt. k

Can you find her a buddy? Maybe a post to the appropriate "Places to Ride" location?

As a new oldie myself, I know I'd be happy to meet and give a cycling shove to anyone in my neighborhood.

help from 50+ ladies

Last year, age 56, I started riding again after a long time off (maybe 15 years). I chose a step through ladies Giant Suede with 7 gears. Have ridden about 1500 miles on it and still love it. I did trade the riser handlebars for tourist type/North Road style because my wrists and forearms bothered me on longer rides (10 miles +). Highly recommend that swept back handlebar option. I'm 5' 5 1/2" and have my seat all the way up as high as it will go. Don't know how it would suit someone 5' tall.

I also test rode a Giant Simple (cruiser) and a Trek Pure. Loved them too. The Suede and Pure come in hub gears too for people who don't want to bother with shifting so much. Hope your mom finds something she loves. Remember that gears also work for windy places and not just hilly ones.

After taking all of your messages into consideration, i am thinking of finding a nice mixte and fixing it up for her with fenders and racks, Brooks saddle, Albatross bars-the whole shebang. She would totally appreciate the "retro" style.

Ooooooh, sweet. And we want to see the bike when it's done.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    N+1 bike ~ Brompton
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

Folders are a very nice option when a mixte isn't available. (or when fitting the bike into a tidy folded package in the trunk of the car is important)

The Downtube 8H is a big hit in my family. www.downtube.com
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

I agree on those folders. I have a Dahon Speed8, they also make a step-thru frame that is very light and stable called the Glide P8. Has a basket and looks sweet. Every time I take the little bike out, people want to ride it, and it fits everybody. It's weird. All the cool bikes sitting around in the garage, and I reach for it most...
    Lookit, grasshopper....