Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Roanoke VA?????

Roanoke VA?????

To disable ads, please log-in.

Anyone close by?

Howdy Neighbor

Hello there! I live out here in Tazewell Co. area about two hours from Roanoke and I travel about three times/week on I-81. I plan on doing the Wilderness Road Ride this year in Radford. I would enjoy loading my bike up and riding other places on my travel days for the fun of it. I went to Va. Tech and it appears there is no end to the cyclists in that area and Roanoke.

It's a small world. If you ever need anything this way, let me know. We have some pretty nice hilly rides around here, such as the Big Walker Century Ride (w/options) in July. That's in Wytheville. Anyhoo, hope you are gettin in some fantastic ridin' with this wonderful weather.

Carlene

I grew up in Roanoke. We visited back there a couple of weeks ago. I wasn't in town long enought to try and bike - our schedule was way too busy.

former Roanoker

I was in town over Easter weekend. There is a club called Blue Ridge Cyclists that you could meet up with on some rides. I know someone who rides with that group and she loves it. Google them but she said there is a VA and NC club so make sure you get the right one.

Brbc

I met Marc and Steve with the Blue Ridge Bicycle Club in Roanoke last year at the MS 150 ride. They were cool to ride with - check them out. They also have a team for the 150 this year too.

amandaesq04 - have you done the Bike VA ride that is in Staunton each October? I have done it a couple of times when I lived closer to VA. I always loved riding around Staunton & Harrisonburg. I did th Bike VA ride the year it was in Winchester - again very beautiful. The down side to that ride was the food poisoning from one of the rest stops. Hundreds of riders went home early.

No, I haven't done that ride yet. last summer was my first season riding. I got my first century in - the Shenandoah Valley Bike Club Century in Harrisonburg, va. I am hoping to do that one again and try Mountain Momma - all depending on where my job hunt takes me.

I'm in Roanoke. Fairly new to road riding, third year of mountain bike riding (2nd year of racing mtb).

BikerJen -

I'll be in Roanoke the end of June. I have one full day free that I can ride - where should I ride mountain?

I live in Lynchburg -- 40 minutes away from Roanoke.
    BAT
    Satisfaction lies in the effort not the attainment. Full effort is full victory.
    -- Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by bikemom View Post
    BikerJen -

I'll be in Roanoke the end of June. I have one full day free that I can ride - where should I ride mountain?
    Hi

You could always try the parkway. Or as someone mentioned check with the Blue Ridge Bike Club http://blueridgebicycleclub.com/to see what they are up to around the time you are here. There are some cue sheets on their page if you want to look at them as well.

Roanoke Cycling Organization http://www.roanokecycling.org/ has a Wednesday afternoon/evening ride too.

I'm not strong enough of a road rider to recommend "mountain road rides." Besure to bring hydration, it can be humid here along with hot.

Be safe!
    Jen

Jen -

Thanks for the ride suggestions. I grew up in Roanoke and definitely remember the humidity. I'm also currently in St. Louis, and humidity here is down right gross!!

Anyone want to ride Monday, June 25th? I'm free all day for any type of ride. I can pop over to Lynchburg Batbike - it's just down the road.

Where will you be on June 27?

Bikemom - SO and I are taking the day off & doing a century on the Skyline Drive. Time TBD. Parking at Swift Run Gap (Where I-64 crosses the Blue Ridge), riding south to Loft Mountain, then back North to Thornton Gap, then South again back to Swift Run Gap. Lots of rolling climbs. Nothing too steep, but some are quite long. Let me know if you (or anyone else!) can join us!

Note: It costs $15 to enter the Park unless you already have a pass.
    "When I'm on my bike I forget about things like age. I just have fun." Kathy Sessler

2006 Independent Fabrication Custom Ti Crown Jewel (Road, though she has been known to go just about anywhere)/Specialized Jett

Open Ocean, Sometimes Norfolk, Virginia. My Hometown is Los Angeles

Mountain Bike Group?

Well, I am not really sure how far is Norfolk to Roanoke but, you guys have any suggestions of any Mountain Biking Group around, Viginia Beach and Norfolk Area?