Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

Depending on where you ride here, you often meet either inebriated pedestrians or cyclists. I usually hope they are where I can get off the bike path and pass them on the grass. The bell or "passing you on your left," doesn't do a bit of good. They're completely unpredictable and oblivious.

The other night I came upon a family who had left the bike path to look at something in the creek. They left their bikes and burley on the path, effectively blocking the whole thing. Sigh.

Oh, I had a grandstand view of a couple of doozies on yesterday's commute, involving both brainless cyclists and brainless drivers. First I'm heading down a wide road with a narrow bike lane painted on the right, that I usually avoid using because you end up going "blindly" into a couple of intersections. The car lane is a lot safer because it gives you the space to see more. Sure enough, cyclist ahead of me in the bike lane gets "stuck" behind a bus, tries to pass on the inside , and wobbles to the outside without checking his back. So I hurry up and pass Wobbly Guy at a safe distance but to no avail, because he then blows through 2 red lights even though he has to squeeze past me waiting to do so.

Then at a roundabout a little later a large truck ignores my right of way, and keeps on coming even though I'm RIGHT in the middle of the roundabout. I stop at his left front wheel and stare up at him exasperated. He finally hits the brakes. But not before a racer roadie dude behind me goes *swish* through the gap.

Next roundabout I'm also right in the middle, and a large SUV comes barrelling in from the right without even slowing down, as though it were a regular intersection. No-one harmed, but I'm glad I was on a laidback kind of commute yesterday. If I'd been just a bit more in a hurry I'd have had a few very close calls.
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

I road with a triathlete, I actually have nothing against triathletes... just ta couple I ride with at my school, I ride with several others and get along with them great. This particular one is the worst not necessarily in her likeliness of causing a crash as I have another to nominate for that but in the fact that she was doing it on purpose and not just oblivious. she kept swearing the entire ride about how stupid f-in drivers were and she refused to unclip. She even did some weird turn on the wrong side the road to avoid unclipping when she should have stopped at an intersection as the car had no stop sign. I've seen cars do dumb stuff around cyclists, but despite her swearing at every driver...this bike ride was perfect in regards to drivers. Not a single car we came across did anything wrong.

What I hate about this is then drivers associate her bad behavior with all cyclists. As the president of a collegiate cycling club, I dont want her back as when new riders see more experienced ones blowing through stop signs they start doing stuff like that. Additionally since she was swearing so much I didn't think she'd take my feedback very well which was that she was the only crazy person lacking common sense. Sometimes you really should just unclip your pedal. Its not that hard to get back in.

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    Quote Originally Posted by lph View Post
    So I hurry up and pass Wobbly Guy at a safe distance but to no avail, because he then blows through 2 red lights even though he has to squeeze past me waiting to do so.
    Oooooo....it just grates my cheese when I pass slower cyclists, only to have them blow past me - and through a red light - when I'm stopped, waiting for a light to change. Grrr.....
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

Its so nice to hear other people share their anger with stupid cyclists. I am a student and I hate riding to campus. I love my commute if I leave fifteen minutes early, but those ten minutes between classes are like asking for an accident. Like someone else mentioned, its people who haven't ridden a bike as an adult and to them they are toys, not vehicles. They ride the wrong way down streets, hit pedestrians, have a blatant disregard for four-wheeled vehicles - of which the buses are the most dangerous.

I was in an accident not too long ago on my way to class when a rider crossed the center line while I was checking a side road for traffic and collided with me.

'I will usually ride over a crosswalk, but I slow down to a almost complete stop, catch the drivers eye and give him a nod or wave before I start pedalling again.' Me too.

I asked one person why she hated cyclists) on facebook) so much and she said, on the parkway( which is zoned for cycling, both on path and in one lane) - she saw a dad with two kids, on bikes. No helmets and the bikes had TRAINING WHEELS!!!

When I rode in the Tour de Femme, sunday on that same parkway, there was a line of cyclists about a km long. So no one could MISS that the race went thru ( plus numerous signs). We were allowed one lane, but kept well to side, in bike path mostly. BUT even then, these totally aggressive cars trying to CUT IN between the groups, to pass people. I was pretty afraid, also as old people were riding and being downhill, somewhat fast ( 23 km), plus dont ride on streets much.
    Oh man, when Im queen of the world someone will hear about that!!