Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Touring the U.S. Male

To disable ads, please log-in.

I only clocked 3 miles yesterday. There was lead in my bike pants so I set up camp on the deck of Klondike Kate's restaurant.
    Last edited by pardes; 08-30-2008 at 08:48 PM. Reason: video removed

Well done! Very funny!
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

How lucky you were able to get every single one of those people's permission to post their pictures on the internet! Well done!
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

I was so concerned about getting legal music, I forgot to think of model releases.

I'll remove the video from TE.

Quote Originally Posted by pardes View Post
    I was so concerned about getting legal music, I forgot to think of model releases.

I'll remove the video from TE.
    Ummmm I did not see the video, so I don't know exactly how it fits in, but as a photographer this is how I understand the need for a model release. If the person is in a public place - say at the park or on the sidewalk and the images are used not used to sell a product then you do not need a model release to take and use the photos (or video). Now there have been some editorial uses of imagery that have come into question. There were some photos of random people in a park used in conjunction with a news article on some sort of communicable disease (I think it may have been herpes ) that were not model released and understandably the people in them became upset. I think the newspaper had to print an apology... otherwise news story photos, photo essays, art photos, etc. are often not model released and it is not required that they be.

(btw - I work in the medical industry and to be in accordance with HIPPA we always have a release for our photos - its actually written right into the consent for treatment - but of course anything that has to do with your medical records is covered by special rules)
    Last edited by Eden; 08-30-2008 at 09:38 PM.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

In an age of Google street view capturing god knows what without anyone's permission, I highly doubt that a not for profit (well sequenced and footnoted) home video should be considered offensive, illegal or otherwise "not OK".
    Sarah

2011 Volagi Liscio

I'd be impressed if *anyone* could get a group of teenaged boys to cooperate in *anything*. Stubborn little cusses...

Of course, if I found out my child had allowed himself to be in a video I'd tan his hide. We've drilled into his head since he was a toddler that you don't let strangers take your picture.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Oh, Knot, you mean the way Raleighdon ALLOWED himself to be in a video!?? he didn't even know it was happening, nor did he know it was going to be published on youtube until someone else told him that it existed. And then his terrible wife shared it with the world. Poor Raleighdon didn't know whether to laugh or hide, but in the end, it amused him because despite the content of that youtube, people gave him positive feedback.
    It's getting to be that everyone and everyone's pet is on Youtube, whether they know it, like it, or not.
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

Ralieghdon is an adult. He can defend himself. And he was clowning around for friends.

Consider the video from the point of view of the mother of a young teenage boy. Here's a video with 4 very identifiable teenage boys just hanging out together who don't know they are being watched, and it makes little giggles about their sexual orientation in text about their "girly handshakes" and the way they don't react when a pretty girl (also teenaged) walks by.

If my son gave his permission to be in that video, I'd tan his hide. If someone shot that video and made those comments without his permission, I'd be furious at the videographer. Not only because making gay cracks is just crude and unacceptable humor, but because doing it about juveniles is just WRONG. And if other boys saw that video, they could harass the subjects unmercifully.

ah, I missed the video, had no idea of the context, sorry. I agree, that could be very unfair.... i was just saying, Raleighdon didn't give permission and I imagine that is true of many of the videos that are spreading all over right now, so your son might be in a video with his knowledge or permission.
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA

I didn't see the video but I've seen lots of references to this article, considering Kantor to be credible.

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/columni...era-laws_x.htm
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

Because something is legal doesn't make it right.
    When my father's stepson bought my father's house for 1 dollar it was completely legal, as was the way he squandered my father's trust fund in less than two years (which was designed to last for the rest of my father's life) while my father had Alzheimers because he was after all the Executor, but it didn't make it right.
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA

Hmm, and here my interpretation of that article is that beyond the letter of criminal law there are still risks and the need for commonsense.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

Imagine our reaction if it were a man who posted video of teenaged girls and made comments about their sexuality.
    Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on the road ~ Motobecane Mixte
    N+1 new bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Commuter ~ Soma Buena Vista Mixte

http://madeinusareviews.blogspot.com/

I did not get references to homosexuality out of that video - and I'm sure that wasn't the intention. These were clearly all a bunch of "dudes" handing out and being "cool" - too "cool" for a real handshake. There was definitely some poking fun at priorities, etc. Maybe it's easier (and less tasteless) for cool dudes to blatantly ogle the hot car than the pretty girl. I'm frankly okay with that. It was all very lighthearted, and the Margaret Mead allusions were funny.

I'm hoping that this commotion over something intended to be completely innocent hasn't driven away a very creative and fun to read poster.
    Last edited by maillotpois; 08-31-2008 at 07:32 AM.
    Sarah

2011 Volagi Liscio