Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Head winds and rain but she's slogging it out

To disable ads, please log-in.

Just checked again. It is so sweet. Her hubby is making the updates since she can't get internet access. He reports that she's pedaling on through wind and rain. Not a lot of info but sounds like she's meeting the challenge.

I'm so glad her DH is keeping us posted. Sounds like she's got some tough going but she's playing the energizer bunny!....good on her!!
    Thx Sadie for keeping this up on top!!
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming: "Yeah Baby! What a Ride!"

I'm just totally impressed by all the gals who solo tour. I think the first tour has got to be the toughest for many, many reasons. Many of us were probably raised to never do anything so adventuresome without a man along, like somehow they can change a flat better than we. My own father would be horrified at the thought but it would be fine for my big bother (not a misspelling ). At 45 I'm pushing the envelope farther than ever (for me) and I'm with her in spirit. I can't wait to hear from her.

I'm sure some of you already know this, but for those who don't...

And if you want email to greet Wanda the next time she logs on - if you sign the guestbook on her journal at crazyguyonabike.com, the message will be placed in her guestbook plus it will be emailed to her.

--- Denise
    www.denisegoldberg.com

• Click here for links to journals and photo galleries from my travels on two wheels and two feet.
    • Random thoughts and experiences in my blog at denisegoldberg.blogspot.com

"To truly find yourself you should play hide and seek alone."
    (quote courtesy of an unknown fortune cookie writer)

Oh boy, I give Wanda so much credit. When my son played travel ice hockey and my husband had to work for some of the games, everyone got mad at me because I had trouble getting off Long Island. Although now that my son drives he ate his words because he wound up in Harlem and over a bridge leaving Shea Stadium.

Anyway just reading the little bit that there is along with Emily's tour with her husband and all of Denise's tours, it all sounds just so exciting. One of these days when my husband isn't working so hard I think we will take a few day group tour.

Just had to post out of excitement. ~ JoAnn

I'm Baaack!

I just got in from the tour. (Pant, pant.)

Since I have to go to work tomorrow morning, I had DH come and get me just outside Sioux City. The plan was always to have him get me today, the only question was how far I'd get. Now I know - about 10 miles from the Nebraska boarder.

OK, for more details:

Weather: I only had one day of good biking weather - for me, I think most would have considered it too cold to ride. The rest were some combination of headwinds, cross winds and rain (some of which was starting to feel suspiciously like hail).

Personal stuff: The corn wasn't even showing green in the fields, so no convienient places for a "pit stop." Ditches work.

Lodging: Everything from a nice B&B to a roach motel. All had their good and bad points.

The Sakatah Singing Hills trail is heaven on earth. Ride it if you can.

MN has good roads and polite drivers. Also neat accents.

Iowa doesn't believe in shoulders on their roads. I took to the grass more times than I can count.

Big trucks are not the enemy. With guts, you can surf their draft for a while. Also, I had the distinct feeling in MN that the truck drivers were watching out for me. I waved and smiled at them whenever I could.

Furthermore, it occured to me that local truck drivers have no interest in running over a bicycle. They'd be dodging bike parts for DAYS.

I was pretty optomistic when estimating my milage. 45-50 was about my limit. But then, there were those headwinds...

I'm a bit afraid to see what DH has put on CrazyGuy. He can surprise me at times.

I'm also flumoxed at how people think I'm brave, daring, capable, all that. This ride really wasn't all that big a deal (that way). I just got on the bike and started moving my feet. I asked questions of local folk when I could and looked at the map a lot. Any dummy could do that.

I'll do another tour. I've invited DH.
    Give big space to the festive dog that make sport in the roadway. Avoid entanglement with your wheel spoke.
    (Sign in Japan)

1978 Raleigh Gran Prix
    2003 EZ Sport AX

Welcome back!

Good to see youj pop up again. Sounds like you learned and enjoyed lots. I'mn looking forward to your journal updates.

Quote Originally Posted by MomOnBike
    I'm also flumoxed at how people think I'm brave, daring, capable, all that. This ride really wasn't all that big a deal (that way). I just got on the bike and started moving my feet. I asked questions of local folk when I could and looked at the map a lot. Any dummy could do that.

We think you are brave because you've gone somewhere most of us haven't. You've been to the undiscovered country, been a stranger in a strange land!!! You're an inspiration because you're just one of us but you did an exciting new thing!! (Same thoughts for Denise!) Thanks, you Magellans out there!!

Hey - a big welcome home! I'm glad that you enjoyed your ride even though the conditions were way less than ideal. And I'm looking forward to reading the full journal entries (when you get to them, of course). Did you have a camera with you, or was it so totally wet that you didn't want to expose it to the elements?

--- Denise
    www.denisegoldberg.com

• Click here for links to journals and photo galleries from my travels on two wheels and two feet.
    • Random thoughts and experiences in my blog at denisegoldberg.blogspot.com

"To truly find yourself you should play hide and seek alone."
    (quote courtesy of an unknown fortune cookie writer)

Way to go Mom!!!

Congrats on your successful Spring Tour...

spazz
    no regrets!

My ride: 2003 Specialized Allez Comp - zebra (men's 52cm), Speedplay X5 pedals, Koobi Au Enduro saddle

Spazzdog Ink Gallery
    http://www.printroom.com/pro/gratcliff

Quote Originally Posted by MomOnBike
    I just got in from the tour. (Pant, pant.)

Welcome home Mom - I'm proud of you. I'm proud of you because you dreamed a dream and then dared to live it. Most people never even have the dream. It doesn't matter what the weather was, or how far you did (or didn't) make it that day, it matters that you tried and as a result achieved success. Well done!!

and hugs and kisses to your hubby for logging in everyday so we could track your progress!
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming: "Yeah Baby! What a Ride!"

Welcome home, and congrats! A most impressive adventure, head winds and all. You took on and met the challenge of the open road, which is more than most of us will ever do.

It's not finished 'til the paperwork is done!

Ok, I just finished the journal for my tour and marked it as complete.

Now the tour is officially over. (weeping emoticon needed here)
    Give big space to the festive dog that make sport in the roadway. Avoid entanglement with your wheel spoke.
    (Sign in Japan)

1978 Raleigh Gran Prix
    2003 EZ Sport AX

Wonderful journal, MoB - full of humor, pathos, self-deprication, and waffles. Totally inspirational! Thanks for sharing with us!

P.S. Did you tell us what type of rain gear you had? I've forgotten what you said - Gill? Just curious - sounds like it really worked for you.
    Last edited by nuthatch; 05-19-2005 at 05:30 PM.