Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

strong on climbs, weak on flats

To disable ads, please log-in.

I am currently training for an oly du set this october. I started training early this year with a looong solid base of 16weeks. i spent a great amount of time hitting the hills because I read that this will help me on the flats, not to mention that i love the burning sensation on my quads I improved so much on hills because I hit the same hills on a regular basis and find it easier to climb each time I come back. Ironically, whenever I pedal along a straight, flat road i could hardly go beyond 30kph and fizzle out quite quickly. I do speed endurance on the trainer 3-4x8mins with 4min RI. i also do 20min continuous riding on the trainer at AeT. what's wrong with me? am I doing the right preparation for the event i'm joining in? I'm kinda freaking out now because I only have a month to do my training.

I don't know how ambitious you are, I'm just in it for personal satisfaction - I had a 33 kph average on a flat 40K course this year with which I am satisfied.

Where are your long rides? How long is long for you?

I just ride long.... as long as I can. I love the bike best, so I do any distance I can - 100, 120, longest to date is 160 km. How about another couple long rides, high cadence, flat.

Other than that just go with the flow, you can't catch up on the training you did not do this year.
    It's a little secret you didn't know about us women. We're all closet Visigoths.

2008 Roy Hinnen O2 - Selle SMP Glider
    2009 Cube Axial WLS - Selle SMP Glider
    2007 Gary Fisher HiFi Plus - Specialized Alias

I have a varied terrain for long rides but usually i hit the rolling ones. Been doing 100+km long rides because I also love the sheer enjoyment of riding outdoors. I was wondering what else can I incorporate in my last few weeks of training. Or am I doing enough already?

Quote Originally Posted by alpinerabbit View Post
    I don't know how ambitious you are, I'm just in it for personal satisfaction - I had a 33 kph average on a flat 40K course this year with which I am satisfied.

Where are your long rides? How long is long for you?

I just ride long.... as long as I can. I love the bike best, so I do any distance I can - 100, 120, longest to date is 160 km. How about another couple long rides, high cadence, flat.

Other than that just go with the flow, you can't catch up on the training you did not do this year.

Do you ride with anyone? It's relatively easy to keep up with others who are faster than you on the flats (versus the climbs, because of the draft and relative difficulty). Riding on flat rides with a few friends to a big group that is slightly out of your comfort zone and that have some good surges thrown in will force you to push yourself more than you would solo. That is provided you pick people who can be your rabbit and not just leave you in the dust. That's a great way to improve speed. Don't do it constantly, because it can get demoralizing to always be chasing. Just work it into your training routine if you can. It took me a long time, but I started doing those kinds of rides last summer back in my hometown, and then I had to keep up with the guys on training rides through he fall, and then when I went back home this spring, they said I had improved 100%. It does help to have some nice people willing to give you a push now and then when you're suffering, like they do.