Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Smile Our first (long) weekend tour!

To disable ads, please log-in.

DH and I will be going on our first unsupported bike tour this weekend. I'm very excited...in fact, I can't wait!

We live near Niagara Falls, NY, and will be riding to Rochester to visit our son (student at RIT) via the Erie Canal Trailway. We'll probably come home via the Seaway Trail (runs alongside the Lake Ontario shore and is very scenic). We plan to break each leg of the trip into two days, camping the first night at a hike/bike/boat camp area near the canal and on the way home staying a night at one of the state parks up along the lake. It's actually a little less than 100 miles, one way, but we figured this will be a great way to get our feet wet, as it were. No! Strike that last statement! NO RAIN!

We purchased Surly LHTs early this summer but haven't been able to get out for more than some spins around the local countryside. Life has a funny (and not so funny) way of changing even the most well-thought-out plans, unfortunately. This is first chance we've had to venture out.

We still need to mount our frame pumps and slap some reflector tape on various points around the bikes. We're having fun getting ready.

Here's my new baby (DH's new bike is the lovely pea-green ):
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lht 003RS.jpg 
Views:	356 
Size:	100.5 KB 
ID:	6943  
    Jane

Every human being must be viewed according to what it is good for; for none
    of us, no not one, is perfect; and were we to love none who had
    imperfections, this world would be a desert for our love.

--- Thomas Jefferson

Great bike! How exciting for you, have a great ride!

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    Your bike is soooo pretty. I hope you have a wonderful weekend and enjoy every mile. Please take lots of pics and tell us all about it when you get home. Have fun!
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

Sounds like a great trip! I love your bike (and I actually like the green version too)--have fun riding it!

Sarah

Thanks for the well-wishes.

We will be taking our camera, of course, and hopefully taking lots of pictures.

The southern shore of Lake Ontario is (for the most part) very rural farm country with growing Amish and Mennonite communities east of Rochester. It's beautiful. However, as an (almost) life-long upstate New Yorker I guess I'm not completely unbiased.

This afternoon was spent getting our food organized. We're going to try to be completely self-sufficient and have had fun experimenting with some of the recipes on the "Freezer Bag Cooking" website:

http://freezerbagcooking.com/

I think we're about as ready as we're ever going to be.
    Jane

--- Thomas Jefferson

Tiny correction

Those Amish and Mennonite communities near Lake Ontario (at least the one's I was talking about) are actually in the *other* easterly direction...meaning west of Rochester.
    Jane

--- Thomas Jefferson

How did the trip go? I have been waiting to read about it. I found this website several weeks ago and had been planning to register. Seeing your thread prompted me... I am in your neck of the woods and have a niece in college at St. John. I am in no shape now for a trip that long, but would enjoy hearing how it went for you...

Quote Originally Posted by wnyrider View Post
    How did the trip go? I have been waiting to read about it. I found this website several weeks ago and had been planning to register. Seeing your thread prompted me... I am in your neck of the woods and have a niece in college at St. John. I am in no shape now for a trip that long, but would enjoy hearing how it went for you...
    It was good. Great learning experience, for sure.

I'm in the process of getting our pictures down-loaded, re-sized, etc. I'll be posting my little report (it was, after all, only a *little* tour ) hopefully later on today.
    Jane

--- Thomas Jefferson