Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Shoe suggestions: wider forefoot, better padding

To disable ads, please log-in.

Anyone have any suggestions on whose shoes tend to have more padding/cushioning, and a wider (relative to the size) forefoot area?

I’ve been sorting out some foot-pain have figured out that at least part of the problem is that my current shoes (specialized taho) are too hard and too narrow. I’m looking for an entry level shoe.

Mercy buckets!

Road or mountain shoes?

Also, you might try putting an insole in your shoes. I had terrible arch pain until I put an insole (green Superfeet) in mine. That completely resolved my pain.

I was using the Tahos for road miles, around 100 a week, on 3 or 4 days a week. I had terrible hot spots, pain and numbness. I switched to motodivas, and there is some improvement. The farthest I've gone is 32 miles in them, but my feet feel better.
    Maybe you need a stiffer show than the Taho?

Quote Originally Posted by beccaB View Post
    Maybe you need a stiffer show than the Taho?
    I'd be up for stiffer shoes, but I do think the biggest issue is the Taho's being too narrow. The Taho's give me numbness in just a couple of miles, and it starts to get uncomfortable by about 10 (I did 24 with my partner and by the end I felt like I had farm animals standing on my feet).

I did 12 miles in my adidas trail-runners the other day (my pedals have a cleat on one side and a flat on the other) and I was pain-free an only had a teeny bit of numbness near one toe at the end.

roadie gal, I ride on roads, but I'm not sure I ride enough (or ride seriously enough) for it to matter? The woman who sold me the Taho's a my LBS thought mountain shoes would be fine for what I do - but if someone disagrees, I"m certainly open to hearing it.

A stiffer shoe might really help with the numbness.

I have 2 pairs of MTB shoes: very stiff Sidi shoes, and a softer pair of Nike shoes for commuting. I notice that even on a short commute (~8 miles), I do get some numbness from the softer sole of the Nikes. But they're easy to walk in, and rather incognito for bike shoes, so I keep wearing them. I can ride all day in the Sidis without any trouble.

I recall that the Pearl Izumi shoes that I tried on seemed wide to me, but otherwise plenty stiff.

I second the recommendation for Superfeet. I have blue ones in my MTB shoes and gray in my road shoes. They make such a huge difference (once they're broken in, that is!).

Are the super-feet used on top of, or instead of, the factory insole?

Quote Originally Posted by BethG View Post
    Are the super-feet used on top of, or instead of, the factory insole?
    Instead of.

Thanks

Beth - definitely get road shoes!

I started out with Specialized MTN shoes because my LBS said that they would be fine and "lots of people ride on the road with MTB shoes". When I went back complaining of hot spots, numbness, aches, etc...and told him I wanted road shoes, he kind of poo-poo'd me. I mentioned that after about 30 miles, the pain would be unbearable. He said "30 miles?" "You are riding 30 miles at a time already?" Grrr.

Anyway, I have wide, flat feet AND I have special orthodics for my athletic shoes because of ball of foot pain due to fallen arches. I use Specialized road shoes because they are designed for people who pronate slighlty (which I do). The stiffer sole has really helped with my feet. I also only buy the men's shoes because they have a wider toe box than the womens. They come in smaller sizes (down to a 37, maybe even a 36) in mens...unlike many other brands. Once I switched to road shoes with a stiffer sole, I never had another foot problem again. Plus, there is another advantage to having small, wide feet. When I see GREAT deals on previous year's models at the Specialized site, they still have my size because there aren't too many men who wear a size 5.5 or 6 shoe. I now ride fancy carbon soled shoes that I bought directly from Specialized for less than my original MTB shoes cost me at the LBS 4 years ago!

Just recently, my commute has changed to 19 miles. My commuter is the bike on which I still use those old mountain shoes. I'm starting to notice pain again, so I'm about to re-evaluate my pedal choice on this bike.
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

As I wear size 9.5, I usually don't have as much luck with sales

What kind of pedals are you using? (I also suspect the SPD cleats don't distribute pressure across a wide enough area, thus adding to my misery)

Yup, I also went with the wider platform of the look type pedal (SPD-SL) when I switched to road shoes.

My commuter has the pedal that is SPD on one side and platform on the other, so I think they are a little better in terms of having a wider platform than the plain SPDs, but my shoes are definitely not stiff enough.

Oh, and in general, Sidi and Nike run narrow. I have never tried PI's. My H (who has a narrow foot) loves his Shimano shoes...so I'm guessing those run a little narrow, too.

Me Too!

Quote Originally Posted by GLC1968 View Post
    Beth - definitely get road shoes!

I started out with Specialized MTN shoes because my LBS said that they would be fine and "lots of people ride on the road with MTB shoes". When I went back complaining of hot spots, numbness, aches, etc...and told him I wanted road shoes, he kind of poo-poo'd me. I mentioned that after about 30 miles, the pain would be unbearable. He said "30 miles?" "You are riding 30 miles at a time already?" Grrr.

Anyway, I have wide, flat feet AND I have special orthodics for my athletic shoes because of ball of foot pain due to fallen arches. I use Specialized road shoes because they are designed for people who pronate slighlty (which I do). The stiffer sole has really helped with my feet. I also only buy the men's shoes because they have a wider toe box than the womens. They come in smaller sizes (down to a 37, maybe even a 36) in mens...unlike many other brands. Once I switched to road shoes with a stiffer sole, I never had another foot problem again. Plus, there is another advantage to having small, wide feet. When I see GREAT deals on previous year's models at the Specialized site, they still have my size because there aren't too many men who wear a size 5.5 or 6 shoe. I now ride fancy carbon soled shoes that I bought directly from Specialized for less than my original MTB shoes cost me at the LBS 4 years ago!

Just recently, my commute has changed to 19 miles. My commuter is the bike on which I still use those old mountain shoes. I'm starting to notice pain again, so I'm about to re-evaluate my pedal choice on this bike.
    I have small, flat, wide feet too! Just curious: What kind/model of shoe works for you now? I'm currently wearing Men's Sidi Genius 4 in 38.5 but they are becoming a little loose and I have hot spots on the ball of my foot...

Do you have the superfeet in your shoes?
    Last edited by Ana; 08-27-2008 at 05:48 PM.
    Ana
    2009 Lynskey R230
    Trek Mountain Track 850

Quote Originally Posted by Ana View Post
    I have small, flat, wide feet too! Just curious: What kind/model of shoe works for you now? I'm currently wearing Men's Sidi Genius 4 in 38.5 but they are becoming a little loose and I have hot spots on the ball of my foot...

Do you have the superfeet in your shoes?
    I haven't used the superfeet yet. I'm wearing these:

They are the BG Comp Carbon road shoe in a 38. They were $60! They are super comfortable - no foot troubles at all - even after centuries...

Now I want either these:

The BG Pro Carbon MTB shoe

or these:

The BG Comp Carbon MTB shoe

for my commuter.

These are all men's shoes. I tried the women's version in the same size (38) and they were just a smidge too narrow for long term comfort.

I wear Northwave shoes. They seem to run a bit wider in the front, but I must admit, I haven't tried a lot of other brands in road shoes. These worked, so I've stayed with them.