Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Prayers for Hanky

To disable ads, please log-in.

I took my Australian Shepherd, Hank, in to work with me today. He was chilling in the back room with me when all of a sudden he crashed into something. I turned and saw him flip/roll over a few types while yelping bloody murder. I got him calmed down and then realized that he wasn't able to stand up. He was panicky and drug himself around by his front legs. Nothing in my dog mommy life was as painful to watch as that pathetic display.

A coworker came back and I asked him to call our manager so I could tell her what was going on, and that I'd be leaving. Someone called a few vets to see if anyone could get him in. By the time we found someone he was making a pathetic effort to stand. I carted him out to the truck, and set him down while I opened the door. Always one for a ride he tried twice to dive into the truck and my heart broke again.

At the vet's office they sedated him and took x-rays. Turns out he has two vertebra that at some point were fused together by arthritis and when he fell and went boom that fusion snapped apart. They gave him steroid shots and some laser treatment to get vertebra to heal. $550 later I called my mom through teary eyes to borrow the money as my meager savings were depleted when I got fired.

I feel awful! Poor guy is still looking all hunch backed and I have to give him ace to keep him quiet. The worst part is my other dog Lucky who is usually very intuitive to pain and illness in people is being a pushy jerk to him. The vet wants to do more laser treatments but right now with my crappy hours at work I have to see what kind of money I pull down at the bar.

I can't stop crying, I feel terrible. Someone once told me dogs don't feel sorry for themselves, and that is so true of Hank. He's being so stalwart. Nope, it's just me feeling sorry for myself. My mom hinted at putting him down if I have to keep doing the laser treatments, but I can't. He's my buddy. When no one else wanted to go for mountain bike rides, Hank did. When a breakup left me sleeping alone in a cold bed, Hank was there to cuddle. I couldn't go on right now if I didn't have a bratty little boy demanding I scratch his butt.

So keep Hank in your thoughts and prayers for me. He's my strength in this tough part of my life and if it means selling my bike, camera gear, DVD collection, whatever, I will make sure he's taken care of. He's my fur baby, and anyone who tells me I won't understand until I have "real kids" should see how red, puffy, and teary eyed I am right now.
    "True, but if you throw your panties into the middle of the peloton, someone's likely to get hurt."

I would do all that too, Smurf, until it didn't work for him anymore--sell everything, do whatever it took.

About Lucky--any chance you could rent a big kennel and let Hank hang out in it in the house so he gets some peace? I am not a dog person, don't know much, but my dog-loving buddies say dogs don't mind that kind of thing...
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

Oh smurf, I'm so sorry Lots of hugs to Hank and wishing you both good luck!
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

doggie

Poor doggie

I hope his health improves soon!

I understand what our furry friends mean to us! Your doggie will love you for all that you do for him!

C

(((((Hank & Smurf))))) Praying for both of you.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Sending lots of good karma yours and Hank's way. Kisses, too, from my golden retriever girls.

Sending lots of thoughts and prayers your way. It's so hard when our fur kids are in pain, you just want to hug and kiss them and make it go away. I hope that Hank will recover quickly.

You, Hank, and Lucky are all in my thoughts and prayers. Keep us posted on Hank's condition, and let your TE family know if there's anything that we can do to help.

{{{{{Smurf and Hank}}}}} I will keep you in my prayers...

smurf please contact some of your local rescue organizations. They often have funds set aside to help pet owners in an emergency.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your buddy!
    Marcie

Oh, poor Hank Wishing him a very speedy recovery and you some peace in this rough stretch in your life. xx

prayers for fast healing for hank.
    There's lots of modalities out there for pain management and healing- if the laser is cost prohibitive, ask for something else. Laser is great, but there is acupuncture (probably just as expensive as laser and requires multiple treatments), alpha stim treatments (renting a unit to do it at home), underwater treadmill for therapy, chiropractic, massage. Many of the therapies you can do at home. For now, pain management is key.
    keep us posted.
    vickie

My prayers go out to you and Hank.

Talk to the vet about payment plans and other modalities. They should work with you to do the best for Hank.

Oh, smurf! I've got tears in my eyes - I know how awful it is to see our fur babies in pain, and still wanting to please. Sending big calm healing green butterflies to Hank, relaxing calm blue butterflies to Lucky to mellow out a bit, and every kind of butterfly to you to help you get through this, to find solutions, to not be worried, to feel the joy and love of Hank, and for the money you need to be found easily. It's not easy having your heart walking around on furry legs outside of your body, but it makes us all more human.

Hugs, too
    ~T~
    The butterflies are within you.

My photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/picsiechick/

Buy my photos: http://www.picsiechick.com

Positive energy heading your and Hank's way.