Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Xrayted View Post
    Nope. They don't. And don't expect them to. They hit large cars on a regular basis. What makes you think they will see you on your bike? That's the way I ride.
    Agree totally with that comment - and way too many of them are doing other things besides paying attention while they are driving....cell phones specifically

So many times I've had a vehicle pull up just ahead of me and immediately turn right...what the heck was that about?

Here's my thought - every driver should be required to spend at least XX hours riding a bike in traffic before getting (or renewing) their licence. Maybe then they would understand and possibly pay a bit more attention when driving.

One can only hope! Okay, I'll get off my soapbox now.

On the other hand, there are those drivers that wait for me to go through an intersection before turning left, those that give me a wide berth when passing me and those that give me lots of room when I'm the first in line waiting for a red light. So, it's not all bad.

Serendipity

"So far, this is the oldest I've ever been....."

Jo - I do that, too - the wave!

The other issue with the Prius is you can't HEAR the darned thing half the time because the engine shuts down. I know it's all green and everything, but combine that with the blind spots and it seems like the car's going out of its way to make life tough for cyclists. What irony.
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

Quote Originally Posted by maillotpois View Post
    The other issue with the Prius is you can't HEAR the darned thing half the time because the engine shuts down.
    Yeah, as a Prius driver, whenever I'm in low speed or approaching bikes, I'm constantly questioning if I'm on electric or gas. But, as most cyclists when they get behind the wheel of a car, I also tend to give a lot of room when passing.

For me today, it wasn't Prius' that kept backing out at me...this morning it was middle aged women with a 1950's-style flip hair do. Three out of three vehicles that tried to take me out this morning....bizarre coincidence

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    How not to get hit by cars:
    http://bicyclesafe.com/

(Doesn't cover the backing-out-of-driving issue specifically, but if you follow the general advice about assuming you are invisible to cars, then you should be ok there too)
    Lisa
    Our bikes...OurBikes...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    Ruby's Website and My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The one time I was hit by a car a few months ago was when a driver backed into me. I actually hit him because I didn't have enough time to stop. I now don't drive so close to the side of road. I'm also more attentive instead of daydreaming during my ride to work.

Re making eye contact --
    when I am approaching an intersection in which I will have the right of way, but there are vehicles approaching/stopped/rolling forward/etc that might possibly think I would yield to them, I will BOTH make eye contact and move as far over in the lane as I possibly can (if it is a large intersection or busy road that I am familiar with, I will actually anticipate ahead of time and look for a break in traffic so I can cut in), signalling to them that I have every intention of proceeding straight through the intersection. I will do this with driveways and parking lot entrances when there is a vehicle nosing forward too, and I try to look as far ahead as I can so I have plenty of time to do this without causing other problems with traffic in my lane (if necessary I will give a hand signal to warn cars behind me). In an actual intersection, when I'm halfway past the car, I will give a nice wave to acknowledge that I appreciate the fact that they respected my right of way .

I have also learned (by near accident) that when traffic is moving more slowly than I would like to ride, it is unfortunately safer to pull in line with traffic and roll along at 9 miles an hour than it is to speed along the right shoulder, moving up the line. Cars will NOT be looking for you in that situation and may just turn right into you, sans signal. This somewhat reduces the speed advantage that cycling can have in urban situations, but I'll take safety over speed if I have to choose, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by liza View Post
    I have also learned (by near accident) that when traffic is moving more slowly than I would like to ride, it is unfortunately safer to pull in line with traffic and roll along at 9 miles an hour than it is to speed along the right shoulder, moving up the line. Cars will NOT be looking for you in that situation and may just turn right into you, sans signal. This somewhat reduces the speed advantage that cycling can have in urban situations, but I'll take safety over speed if I have to choose, I guess.
    A girlfriend of mine was doored while passing on the right in the way you describe. It hurt when I had to tell her that technically the passenger who opened the door was not at fault (my friend was not in a bike lane).

I also am sometimes slower on the bike route than other cyclists who will go around cars in dubious ways (jumping on the sidewalk or passing on the right when it's definitely not safe). Most of the time I catch up with them at the next intersection anyway.

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    don't ride in the 'door zone'. Better to take the lane if the door zone is the only alternative.

don't pass lines of slower cars on their right when there is no bike lane there. Passing on the right will eventually get you hit by a car.

don't be on the right side of the lane in an intersection if you are planning to go straight or make a left turn.

don't stop next to cars or trucks waiting at a stop light. Wait your turn behind one of them, in the middle of your lane, along with the other vehicles.

do make broad hand signals to all the drivers around you to let them know what your plan is in all decisive traffic situations.

do assume that car drivers simply do not see you.

do be aware that most drivers are not expecting bikers in pedestrian crosswalks. Huge numbers of bikers are hit by cars while attempting to bike across crosswalks. Get off and walk your bike across crosswalks, or at least be alert and ready for danger there.
    Last edited by BleeckerSt_Girl; 08-26-2008 at 05:07 PM.
    Lisa
    Our bikes...OurBikes...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    Ruby's Website and My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^