Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Differing Wheel Sizes?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I just picked up a cross bike on ebay. I have a quick question though. It has a 700 rear wheel and 26" front. I don't know if the fork can handle a larger wheel or if I would need a new fork to put a 700cc on but my question is...why would one do this? I'm new to cross and have no mtb experience.

Thanks!!!

You probably need to post brand and model. There is no way to tell what size wheel the fork will handle without more info.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

It's a Jamis Nova, I don't know what make/model the fork is yet. I'm really more curious about why someone would run two different size wheels on a cross bike.

IIRC, the smaller sizes of the first Jamis Novas did in fact have two different size wheels..... What size is your frame?

It's a 47 so that may be the case. Not sure of the year but it's probably at least 2-3 years old from what I can tell. Just wasn't sure if that would make handling tricky. Looks-wise I don't care!

That makes sense. I think that 47cm was the smallest size available when they were doing the "2 wheel sizes" thing.

Check out http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/B...Nova&Type=bike for specs on this and a lot of other bikes... Pretty cool site actually- I think I may have figured out what my Bianchi is!

Very cool, thanks. ok, so i've figured out that its supposed to be that way! I'm excited b/c they upgraded the crank and derailler w/ultegra and I got a great price. As everyone knows, small cross bikes are not easy to find...at least used!

The only caution with the different wheel sizes that I will give you is around support. At a race, neutral support is very unlikely to have 26" spare wheels or tubes.

If you are not planning ot race, and will just be doing some riding, also be aware that you need to carry two different sized spare tubes with you.

Outside of that, enjoy the new ride!

SheFly
    "Well behaved women rarely make history." including me!
    http://twoadventures.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by SheFly View Post
    The only caution with the different wheel sizes that I will give you is around support. At a race, neutral support is very unlikely to have 26" spare wheels or tubes.

If you are not planning ot race, and will just be doing some riding, also be aware that you need to carry two different sized spare tubes with you.

Outside of that, enjoy the new ride!

SheFly
    Pretty much if I have a mechanical issue I'm out for the race so support won't be an issue! Ok, I'm pumped up for cross season! Thanks for reminding me about the two sized tubes. That's something I would have completely forgotten about.

Jamis Nova too

bboston,
    Just came across your thread. I also have a Jamis Nova 47cm with a 26" front and 700c rear wheels that I also got on eBay a few years ago. It's lime green and year 2000. I love it and have mainly used it as an all-around bike. The smaller front wheel is to deal with toe overlap, I believe. I've had no problems and like the feel of more control. Carrying 2 tubes can be a pain, though. One advantage is the range of tire sizes available. If you're looking for a cross tire, try the Schwalbe CX Pro 1.3".

Have you tried any 'cross races on it? I'm looking to try it this fall and wonder how it works. Going to an intro CX clinic this weekend ...
    keep smiling--people will wonder what you're up to

I just got the schwalbe tire..love it. I raced this bike all last season and wil use it again this season . Its great..steel a bit heavier but the ride is smooth and it's tough as nails.. Cross is so much fun!