Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Ironman Kentucky Training- Let’s Wrap This Up!

To disable ads, please log-in.

Ironman Kentucky Training- Let’s Wrap This Up!

Number: 1359

First off… Thank you for being apart of my journey the past 8 months! Every kind word, thought, advice and your encouragement will get me across the finish line in Kentucky !

Now, how about some lyrics from Frank Sinatra…“I Did It My Way”….

And now, the end is near;
    And so I face the final curtain.
    My friend, I’ll say it clear,
    I’ll state my case, of which I’m certain.

I’ve lived a life that’s full.
    I’ve traveled each and every highway;
    And more, much more than this,
    I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
    But then again, too few to mention.
    I did what I had to do
    And saw it through without exemption.

I planned each charted course;
    Each careful step along the byway,
    But more, much more than this,
    I did it my way.

Yes, there were times, I’m sure you knew
    When I bit off more than I could chew.
    But through it all, when there was doubt,
    I ate it up and spit it out.
    I faced it all and I stood tall;
    And did it my way.

Eight months of training….

Fabulous and amazing support from my Ironsherpa!

1000’s of inspires, kind words and encouragement from friends and family!

Having a very kind friend help me with getting my bike ready for Kentucky !

Being the luckiest gal in the world for having such a huge support crew coming out to watch me race… thanks to… my Dad, Jonny, Evelyn, Ryan, Libby, Doug and Anna!

Swimming 80 miles in 40 hours, in the past 8 months!

Biking 2,500 miles in 155 hours outside, in the past 8 months!

Biking 1,040 miles in 65 hours on the bike trainer, in the past 8 months!

Walking/Running 460 miles in 87 hours, in the past 8 months!

Completing three, 12-mile runs!

Completing four, half marathons!

Finishing my first 25 K!

Ten bike rides of 70-95 miles.

Three bike rides of 100 miles.

Early mornings.

Late nights.

Two-a-days. Swim in the morning, ride at night. Run in the morning, ride at night.

Gaining weight.

Losing weight.

Wondering how much more food I could eat… and still be hungry!

Turning my legs into thighs of steel!

Feeling lucky for having good enough physical health and strength to get to train for something like this!

Days when I didn’t know if I could get up and do it again.

Laying down to sleep with quads too sore to lay on.

Saturdays spent waking up at 6:00 AM to ride for hours and hours.

Sundays spent waking up at 6:00 AM to run for hours and hours.

Hours spent on the bike trainer inside my apartment. Thank goodness for the invention of DVR!

Emotional highs.

Emotional lows.

Crying tears of joy.

Inner doubts combated by confidence.

Blisters.

Saddle sores- visits to the dermatologist… still riding even in pain.

Swollen left knee.

A constantly messy apartment.

Cheering my cousin across the finish line of his first Ironman!

Wondering if I could do what he did.

Living life having all my time planned out. Everything being centered around training!

Missing time with Jonny.

Missing time with friends.

Dreaming about crossing the finish line.

Envisioning achieving a goal I never thought possible.

Training with triathlon buddies!

Training by myself.

Making new friends to train with!

Watching the seasons go by… winter to summer. Being outside for most of it!

Riding in 100+ degree heat more times than I can count.

Learning how to eat every 15 minutes on a bike.

Learning how to carry 4 gels on me for a run… 2 can fit in my bra!

Mentally sucking it up.

Talking out loud to myself on the bike to “keep pedaling” because all I wanted to do was stop.

Running faster than I have in a long time! Actually seeing 9 minute miles!

Wishing it was over already!

Being sad knowing my journey was almost over!

Learning how to speed walk!

Finally embracing the joys of owning a Garmin! How did I live without one?

Knowing that this is my Ironman. This was my journey. Good, bad, tiring, exciting, painful, wonderful, hopeful, and willful…

In closing, I think Frankie said it best…

Yes, there were times, I’m sure you knew
    When I bit off more than I could chew.
    But through it all, when there was doubt,
    I ate it up and spit it out.
    I faced it all and I stood tall;
    And did it my way.

Pictures:
    1) Me on my last 100 mile ride! I got a good group together who went and rode with me! From Left to Right: Myself, Ken, Bobby, Aimee, Jonathan, Kristie, and Jonny! Kristie and Jonny joined us for 40 miles.

2) All the cards I have gotten from my friends and family! I am so lucky!

3) Bike checked in at the bike shop on 8-23-08! My stallion (My Hearts Desire) is on her way to Kentucky! She will carry me most of my miles in Kentucky!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Last_100_mile_ride_group_shot.jpg 
Views:	363 
Size:	122.1 KB 
ID:	6922   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cards.jpg 
Views:	351 
Size:	102.1 KB 
ID:	6923   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bike_ready_to_go.jpg 
Views:	372 
Size:	138.8 KB 
ID:	6924  
    Last edited by KSH; 08-25-2008 at 06:38 AM.
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather, to skid in broadside thoroughly used-up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW WHAT A RIDE!!!!"

One week to go! Wow! I know you are going to do great!
    I'd rather be swimming...biking...running...and eating cheesecake...
    --===--

2008 Cervelo P2C Tri bike
    2011 Trek Madone 5.5/Cobb V-Flow Max
    2007 Jamis Coda/Terry Liberator
    2011 Trek Mamba 29er

This is really exciting Karen. I've been reading about your progress for a long time, this comes to an exciting turn! I am sure you will do great.

Good luck - I will be thinking of you.

All the best!

I haven't followed the training, but I knew you were doing it. Those are some impressive stats, can't wait to hear about the race!
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

I admire the drive and the sacrifices you've made just in training. You've already got so much to be proud of.

Go out there and kick some butt!!

Know that you've got a whole cheering squad of ladies here thinking of and praying about your race.

I'm sure you'll do great! Enjoy the suffering.
    For more details, check out my blog! http://stubborntriathlete.blogspot.com/

For all the randomness, follow me on twitter! http://twitter.com/ShootRunTri

What a great post - wonderful perspective. It's a journey, and I'm glad that you've taken the time to enjoy it.

Good luck - you will ROCK the course!!

CA
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

GO KAREN!!!! Can't wait to hear the details. Will see if we can follow along online. YOU ROCK no matter how the race goes! Look what you've done already!
    J
    Everyone Deserves a Lifetime

Wow! You gave me goosebumps and a little tear in my eye. It has been wonderful following your training and I hope you have an incredible Ironman!
    "Live, more than your neighbors. Unleash yourself upon the world and go places. Go now! Giggle. Know. Laugh. And bark the the moon like the wild dog that you are!" - Jon Blais

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    KSH,
    it's been a long journey, but like Frank- you did it your way.
    Enjoy your day of racing. Someone told me before my IM in 2006 to enjoy the day like a celebration or party. You've worked very hard for 8 months and now's the time to enjoy and smile and savor every moment on the course. Even the tough moments- enjoy them as well. It helped me keep my perspective on race day and really enjoy my moment in time.

Here is what a good friend e-mailed me the week before my race:

Just a few short days until Redman (or in your case, Louisville). I want to wish you good luck and give a few final thoughts to keep with you on race day.
    Trust your training. You have prepared for this event. Know that you have it within you to do this. You will doubt yourself, but trust the preparation you have done.
    Race the race you have trained for. Do your race at your pace, don't get caught up in what those around you are doing.
    Enjoy yourself. This will be a monumental accomplishment.
    I'll be looking for you at the finish line.
    Good Luck

While I won't be physically there looking for you at the finish line, I'll be looking for you online.

HAVE FUN!!!! GOOD LUCK!!!!!
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

Good looking number!!

You know you're ready. Don't doubt yourself, but listen to your body. You've trained for this race, you CAN make it.

It honestly took me two months to realize what an amazing thing I did by completing my first Ironman (or any Ironman for that matter). I don't mean that to sound arrogant or anything, but I really just took it for granted that Ironman is something anyone can do if they train hard and are dedicated. It might in fact be that simple, but honestly, very few people CAN train that hard and ARE that dedicated. I don't really take compliments very well, but after the 800th person that said "an IRONMAN? Like the triathlon?" I had to take a step back and say "wait a second... I really did do something amazing."

And you, too, will do that amazing thing. You might not do it the way I did it, because everyone races their own race, but you WILL. Just by showing up, just by training with impressive dedication (even on the days you felt like giving up, and ESPECIALLY over the last 4 weeks), you did an amazing thing. What happens on Iron-Day is just ONE MORE amazing thing (albeit a sub-17 hour amazing thing ).

Sh!t WILL happen on race day and you WILL handle it, because you're Iron. That's just how it is. We'll all be here cheering you on, so when you're out there laying it all out on the course and need a little help, just think of us cheering you on.

Quote Originally Posted by colby View Post
    We'll all be here cheering you on, so when you're out there laying it all out on the course and need a little help, just think of us cheering you on.
    Yeah, we WILL be, KSH! Have a great race!
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

KSH, congrats to you

I think you've already been given lots of wisdom, and you have amazing dedication to see this through. My meager .o2 is to tell you to enjoy the presence of the moment... whether it be good bad or you're just not sure. It is not about yesterday or tomorrow, but being there in that moment...

and when it's all over with, give everyone in your life extra hugs for all their help along the way (which it sounds like you have already)... they may not be racing but I am convinced it's always a group accomplishment...

race sound and safe, we'll be thinking of you!

I am very impressed by your diligence - best luck, keep your brain together....
    It's a little secret you didn't know about us women. We're all closet Visigoths.

2008 Roy Hinnen O2 - Selle SMP Glider
    2009 Cube Axial WLS - Selle SMP Glider
    2007 Gary Fisher HiFi Plus - Specialized Alias

K-
    Been REALLY busy lately, but I have been following you. I'm so happy for you, and envious! I want to be back out there too.

Go out there and get em!!

And when your on your bike and it hits you "I can't believe I'm riding my bike in an IRONMAN?!" - cherish that thought! You will remember it for the rest of your life.
    Say hi to Mike Rielly for me. He'll be waiting for you at the finishline.

Race hard, stay safe, have fun!!

Denise

Awe, thank you ladies! *Wipes a tear*

Thanks so much!

I wish I could reply to every single one of your amazing posts... but I'm running around packing tonight! Heading out Wednesday at 5:00 AM to go to the airport!

Tri Girl- Loved what your friend wrote! It really fits! I will stick to my plan and race my race.

Colby- What you did is amazing! This time next week I should be able to say that I did it too! I will handle everything that comes my way race day! I'll dig deep and remember those days that training wasn't perfect and use that for strength.

RM- Oh! I have already planned that if the day gets tough I will remember that I am doing an Ironman! I might even scream it out to the spectators! HA!

Finally... my coworkers were so sweet and made cupcakes for me to send me off! My coworker who has done an IM decorated them with all this IM/tri related stuff. Too cute!

All right... off to finish packing then I'm heading to bed early!

I'll probably report more once I get there as I'm sure I'll have down time.
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather, to skid in broadside thoroughly used-up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW WHAT A RIDE!!!!"