Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hey Fredwina - I have another route in the works as well. I don't have it nailed down yet, but one thing's for sure, it won't have nearly as much climbing as this one. gah.

Glad you all like the tarantula picture, I had to dig deep into my duffel bag of courage to take it. Z, I have no idea what that big spot in the photo might be, that was on Calaveras Rd. Perhaps it's Palomares Tarantula's big cousin Leroy? Or, maybe it's just a rock.

2009 Lynskey R230 Houseblend - Brooks Team Pro
    2007 Rivendell Bleriot - Rivet Pearl

Wow, great job! You know the difference between a Californian and a Texan? We get two of those hills in a 60-100 mile ride and call it a climbing ride at 1,500 feet climbing.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

That is some ride! I am really impressed. The other difference between Californians and Texans is that Californians can choose to ride in hilly country like this or they can ride the flats all day long. Texans just have flats to ride.. (Is there really a hill in Texas with 1500 feet of climbing??)
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

Quote Originally Posted by mimitabby View Post
    That is some ride! I am really impressed. The other difference between Californians and Texans is that Californians can choose to ride in hilly country like this or they can ride the flats all day long. Texans just have flats to ride.. (Is there really a hill in Texas with 1500 feet of climbing??)
    A few places but I can probably count the number of rides with quadruple digit climbing on one hand. The Hill Country or Davis Mountains would be the only real places I can think of. In Houston a hill is an overpass.

I would say the California girls would laugh at what we call climbing and call it a rolling ride. I drove some of the roads they ride in the Bay Area, I was in awe.
    Amanda

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

That's why we're such big fans of triple cranksets

And nah, we don't laugh at other peoples' rides. They all have their own challenges. If it isn't hills, then it's heat, or wind, or freezing cold.
    Last edited by jobob; 08-25-2008 at 09:40 AM.

Wow, Jo, that's fantastic! Great job!

Too bad I didn't know you were in my neighborhood, I could have brought out cookies and lemonade for you... (I'm a block from Reliez Valley)

Oooh, maybe next time Amy!

But... technically on a permanent we're not supposed to receive any assistance except at the designated control points. Them's the rules, alas.

Quote Originally Posted by jobob View Post

But... technically on a permanent we're not supposed to receive any assistance except at the designated control points. Them's the rules, alas.
    Ah, got it!

Quote Originally Posted by jobob View Post

Can you make Amy a designated control point? I mean cookies and lemonade.
    Amanda

Quote Originally Posted by Aggie_Ama View Post
    Can you make Amy a designated control point? I mean cookies and lemonade.
    Yeah, there ya go! Me and the little red dog, we'll see what we can do. He requires 24 hours' notice. Very busy little dog.

Oooh, what a great ride!!! Maybe when I'm capable of doing more than 50 miles with big hills, I'll try it!!

I do love the Bay Area for riding, but I have lived all over the US and every place I lived has it's good points and bad points. I honestly cannot say I have a favorite area.
    Christine
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Cycle! It's Good for the Wattle; it's good for the can!

wahoo

Great job Jobob! Keep up the good climbing

You California ladies amaze me!

Holy freaking monkeys.

I did the southern portion of that ride when I was stationed at NAS Alameda and I was totally smoked at the end. I don't remember the northern part of East Bay being any less hilly.
    re-cur-sion ri'-ker-shen n: see recursion

Quote Originally Posted by mimitabby View Post
    Hmmm, why do you think texas is so flat??? We have lots of club rides with 4000-5000 feet of climbing in say 50 miles, at least in the Hill country where I live. And yes, I did do that Davis Mountain climb too.

Quote Originally Posted by Triskeliongirl View Post
    Hmmm, why do you think texas is so flat??? We have lots of club rides with 4000-5000 feet of climbing in say 50 miles, at least in the Hill country where I live. And yes, I did do that Davis Mountain climb too.
    I guess it depends on where you live but I know in Austin (Austin!) they do the Tour das Hugel and it is some hillacious climbing. I think it is +10,000. I don't really see how much climbing mine are locally but I think Dripping Springs for the LiveStrong was like 6,000 climbing last year. I really have to think about it to start realizing where the climbing is in Texas.

I think most people assume it all looks like the plateaus of the panhandle and the plains leading to the coast. Whoa nelly I don't want to see a hill if the Leakey Death Ride and the Davis Mountains aren't climbing. We are a misunderstood state.
    Amanda