Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Looking at all the love there that's sleeping

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalidurga View Post
    The more the merrier, especially since we'll be missing our Big Buzz.
    That's right.
    Someone's gotta keep this motley crew on track!!
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

Quote Originally Posted by Zen View Post
    Dingster? F8th?
    New kids whose names I don't know offhand?
    Sigh. It sounds like fun. I'm still in northern Michigan for a few more days. If anyone gets stranded on Sunday, I'll be driving thru that area on Tues - I'll give you a ride home. The "story" behind any potential strandings will be worth it!

Have a great time!
    Martha

Well???????

Quote Originally Posted by 7rider View Post
    Well???????
    It was good. But that first day is going to be a killer. We did 26 miles loaded (well, Zen was half loaded) and it was work. 60 miles will be a challenge. Zen's thinking of starting a day earlier and splitting that first day into two more manageable days, but we don't have that option since there aren't any motels between Cumberland and Little Orleans.

But it was a nice ride, and I think the Xtracycle will be ok. It's not as comfortable as my commuting bike, but I don't want to have to get a front rack and panniers, so I'll make it work.

Hope you're having a nice time in Connecticut.

Holy Moley, that's hard work when you're loaded. I started drinking at 6 AM

On that home stretch I could feel a cramp coming on. I get cramp alerts like people with migranes get auras. I stopped for those ClifBloks and managed to stave it off. I got home around 5 and got my first paralyzing cramp at 9, another at 10.
    I don't think I drank enough, guess I'll have to get a bigger camelbak.
    What size is you guizes?
    I think I'll need to buy a case of Bloks, too
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

I have the Camelback Dream (though I wish they'd had this nice subdued grey color when I bought mine ). It holds 72oz, or 2 liters, which is a lotta water. I don't think I've ever emptied it.

I hope you're feeling better today, Zen!

"How about if we all just try to follow these very simple rules of the road? Drive like the person ahead on the bike is your son/daughter. Ride like the cars are ambulances carrying your loved ones to the emergency room. This should cover everything, unless you are a complete sociopath."
    David Desautels, in a letter to velonews.com

Random babblings and some stuff to look at.

Quote Originally Posted by divingbiker View Post
    But it was a nice ride, and I think the Xtracycle will be ok. It's not as comfortable as my commuting bike, but I don't want to have to get a front rack and panniers, so I'll make it work..
    Front and back? How much do you plan on packing?? Hmmmm...methinks I need to evaluate how much stuff those Ortleibs can carry. I was thinking of adding a trunk rack and with my Daystar Camelback, I think I'd have plenty of hauling capacity.

I'm thinking we may have to add bananas to our moring b'fast shopping jaunt however....

Quote Originally Posted by divingbiker View Post
    Hope you're having a nice time in Connecticut.
    Was nice. The one day we had to do a long ride, however, it rained.
    Now...breakfast and on the road for MD.

Quote Originally Posted by 7rider View Post
    Front and back? How much do you plan on packing?? Hmmmm...methinks I need to evaluate how much stuff those Ortleibs can carry. I was thinking of adding a trunk rack and with my Daystar Camelback, I think I'd have plenty of hauling capacity.

I'm thinking we may have to add bananas to our moring b'fast shopping jaunt however....

Was nice. The one day we had to do a long ride, however, it rained.
    Now...breakfast and on the road for MD.
    Zen, I've got the same Camelback as Regina, I think. Looks the same anyway, and I know it's 70-72 oz.

Regina, remember that I have to take food along, too, because I'm not likely to find vegan food along the trail. I'll have to do a real trial run packing and see if the panniers and trunk bag and handlebar bag will be enough. If so, I may take the Glorius.

And bananas are a good idea.

And you have to take peach jam. That's stuff's awesome. I had it for breakfast on walnut bread. Thanks again, Janice!

And I looked at the Camelbak site just now. They make reservoirs from 28oz all the way up to 100 oz (3 liters). Since there are so many places you can re-fill once you make it to Little Orleans, I'd think a 2 liter would get you through each day. The Dream might be good if you're not used to having something on your back, since it's basically just a reservoir with a couple of small pockets. Janice, isn't that what you were using yesterday? It looked just like mine, aside from the different color.
    Last edited by Kalidurga; 09-01-2008 at 06:52 AM.
    "How about if we all just try to follow these very simple rules of the road? Drive like the person ahead on the bike is your son/daughter. Ride like the cars are ambulances carrying your loved ones to the emergency room. This should cover everything, unless you are a complete sociopath."

Glad you like the jam!

I'm feeling better now. I just looked, and the first day is 44 miles, not 60. The second and third days are around 40 miles, and the last two are shorter. So I think I can do this after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalidurga View Post
    I have the Camelback Dream
    Your REI link shows that at $50.
    Price Point has it for $35 (+5 for shipping).

This cramp is only in my left quad, the side I clip in on

Quote Originally Posted by Zen View Post
    Your REI link shows that at $50.
    Price Point has it for $35 (+5 for shipping).

This cramp is only in my left quad, the side I clip in on
    Well, I wasn't suggesting you buy it at REI, they just had the best description and photo

I didn't notice yesterday, did you do any stretching during yesterday's ride? I remember that you stretched at one point during the ride we did from Brunswick to Antietam Creek, did that help to loosen things up mid-ride? I wonder if applying an analgesic would also help. I often get cramps in the sartorius on my left leg just next to the knee, and I find that either Biofreeze or Merry Hempsters Cool Muscle Rub (I get that at Common Market) helps a lot.

Stretching would no doubt help, I've been having such tightness in the hip flexors I rarely stretch the rectus femoris.

i think my problem is about 70% physiological though, because of potassium loss in diuretic use

One more reason for those bananas...

...or seasoned roasted taters.

I ordered a Dream but now I'm looking at the FlashFlo

And I secured my early transportation last night