Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Silver View Post
    Google is not real...
    For something imaginary, the shareholder dividends aren't bad
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

Quote Originally Posted by salsabike View Post
    Hey, thanks for posting that, Wahine. Ever since I overdid the swimming thing, I have been doing light-weight shoulder strengthening exercises. That is one of them, and I didn't know about the alignment thing. Think I am going to go consult with a triathlete PT here in Seattle to get a complete program of training/exercises that take into account the fibromyagia-related issues as well. Anyway, I appreciate this post of yours.
    Jeez--sorry, I only posted half of my thought. What I MEANT also to say was: I got those shoulder strengthening exercise on the internet--but they did not make clear that pulling back beyond your torso was not okay. Point being that internet is a great resource for damn near anything BUT that it's also probably good to check in person with a PT or someone with similar knowledge to ensure you are doing the exercises correctly.
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

Pulling beyond the torso is often OK if you don't already have shouder pain but it's not good for people with rotator cuff problems.
    Living life like there's no tomorrow.

http://gorgebikefitter.com/

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2010 Custom Tonic cross with discs, SRAM
    2012 Moots YBB 2 x 10 Shimano XTR
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

Quote Originally Posted by liza View Post
    I dunno, everything Oakleaf says there (and generally otherwise, FWIW) seems pretty reasonable to me.
    I didn't mean to disparage oakleaf or her suggestions, and fwiw, I don't think MY advice should be swallowed whole without chewing, either.

My point is only that advice from knowledgeable people on a message board is a great place to start, but a) we can't know all the particulars of the person asking the question and b) even reasonable best practices can get outdated.

My right rotator cuff has a frayed edge on it and there is tendonitis in the left rotator cuff. I've been going to Curves for about 5 years. the problem started before that with my job, and Rotator cuff is a common problem there. So far I've been able to avoid surgery. I had a second round of physical therapy, 2 years after the first time. It focused more on flexibility this time, which motivates me more to do the home exercises. Cortisone is a wonderful thing too!
    I would be VERY careful doing any exercise that makes me push my elbows past the plane of my torso. On one machine at curves one of the ladies keeps trying to get me to go too far. I know my own limitations. It's easier to do that now that I'm closer to 50 than 40.

Aw, shucks, I'm real (said the Velveteen Rabbit).

Seriously, I hope everyone does take my advice here with a grain of salt!

Wahine, on the other hand, really knows her stuff.

Books/websites - exrx.net has descriptions of a wide range of strength and flexibility exercises, anatomy illustrations (apparently lifted from Gray's Anatomy but with their own copyright bug on them ), discussions of muscular weaknesses and imbalances, etc. Their exercises tend to be pretty traditional gym work, but useful.

Lately I'm a big fan of Stott Pilates. Their Comprehensive Matwork Manual is incredibly detailed. (Way too detailed to simultaneously read and do the exercises.) They have a number of good DVDs also.

Yeah, funny people should mention the inner thigh, because I kind of came the other direction. Before I came back to cycling and learned Chi Running (which happened about the same time), I was mostly doing a lot of step aerobics, with a little bit of running. My adductors were way overdeveloped and my vastus medialis were underdeveloped. Since taking up Chi Running and cycling, my thighs are visibly MUCH more balanced.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Forgive my ignorance, but what's "Chi running"?

Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

There are two things that are going on. Muscle groups become tight while others become ..well...lazy. I'm a good example. My pecs are over developed and tend to round my shoulders forward while my back muscles are stretched due to the pecs being over tight. So when you look at muscle imbalances you have to address the tight muscles as well as the weak muscles. The only way to do this is with dynamic assessments.

There is a whole way of approaching it but what what it comes down to is that cyclists need to spend time hitting the weights (or doing some type of strength training that includes core and balance training) to help keep everything in check.

I'm a good example. I thought that mtn biking and commuting would be enough. I should know better. It's not. I now have a muscle imbalance that came to light after an injury and won't heal right. Guess what I'm now doing? Yep, calf strengthening. I was pretty surprised but then I compared what my calves look like now compared to last year and it's pretty obvious. I have much less defined calves and last year I weight trained twice per week.

Balance is really important too, I was pretty surprised how much I was lacking in that area as well. I am spending alot of time on the bike but I need to take my own advice at some point and spend some time training off of it too.