Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Running vs Cycling- Alone vs With Someone

To disable ads, please log-in.

I have recently rededicated myself to running and found I am really enjoying it again. When we first moved to the area I always went with DH and found I no longer loved running, I loathed heading to the little trail we have. This week I have been three days alone and loved running. When I was really into running before (4-5 days a week of 3-6 miles each run) I always went alone. Right now I am really slow (11 minute miles, I used to do 8 minute miles) but I am happy when I am out for a run. Last time I tried to get back into running I was bummed when running.

I find it weird that for running I crave nothing more than alone time but I do not enjoy cycling alone. I think it might be because with running I was marginally good before and running with DH just means he smokes me because he is a natural athlete. Cycling has always been for the sights and sounds and distance but I have never been about the speed. Running I just get in the zone of pounding the trail and counting laps (it is only .8 miles).

Anyone else like this? It almost seems like you would enjoy company all the time but maybe it is the difference in running being somewhat controlled? The trail is next to the fire station and the park is busy, I feel safe. No flats on running shoes, no crazy drivers. Just random fly balls from little league and the occasional non-poisonous snake.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

Totally agree.
    Running is a solitary thing and I enjoy just plodding along at my slow pace.
    Biking is more social. I don't enjoy just going out alone. I also like drafting...that may be why I prefer to cycle with a friend!
    katluvr

I really enjoy running by myself, although I am lucky in that my fiancee is pretty close in level to me so on the rare occasion we run together, neither person gets smoked. However, I'm a morning runner, he is a mid-day (ugh) runner, so we really don't run together that often, and I'm not complaining. Some days when I need motivation for a long run, I try and get him to come with me, even if for just a few miles, but once I get out there I enjoy being by myself. Of course, not that I've been doing much running recently, being injured.

I also bike alot by myself, but I find that more frustrating than soothing, just because when you ride with a group it is easier to push yourself I find than when you ride by yourself and are having a bad day.

I'm the same way, but I don't know the reason.

My speeds are moderate for both running and cycling - too fast for the slow group, too slow for the fast group ; and while I used to be a pretty fair cyclist, I'm a faster runner now than I've ever been before. When I'm home, the road I live on is safer for cycling than it is for running, IMO; when I'm traveling, I often don't know the neighborhoods I'm running in, so safety isn't the reason, either. I enjoy a brisk paceline, but I'd rather ride with others even on the hill rides when there's little or no drafting.

Maybe it's the simple fact that it's easier for people with slightly different paces to accommodate each other on wheels, than it is on foot. Or that running is always about getting a workout, whereas cycling may or may not be.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I agree- there's something different about the 2 sports- especially when it comes to longer rides/runs. I enjoy running with other people, but have always done most of my running alone and am perfectly happy doing a 3 hr run by myself (at least when I'm in shape that is). With cycling, shorter rides on my own are fine- but if I'm going to be out there for more than an hour I want companionship.

I love running alone as well. When I run with somebody, I get competitive and pick up the pace and get annoyed when they look better/don't tire out/go faster and then I end up beating myself up for sucking so much. At least when I run alone, I can focus on myself.

I hate cycling by myself. It sucks when you have a strong headwind, and it sucks when you are on a busy road alone. Plus, it is so much easier to just turn around and ride back home (or to the car) if you go out alone. At least for me.

Me four (or 5? I've lost count). I'd like to run with DH but his legs are twice as long as mine and I can't keep up. Also, I like to listen to my ipod and "get into the zone" which is harder when you're with someone.

I much prefer to ride with him though even if I can't keep up.
    It is never too late to be what you might have been. ~ George Elliot

My podcast about being a rookie triathlete:Kelownagurl Tris Podcast

I use running as a form of meditation. I can get out there and just fall into a rhythm without really thinking about anything. If I'm running with a companion, that's blown. While I do like running events with DH (we're about the same pace - he's also 14 years older than I am, so that helps!), I'd rather train alone.

Cycling I can go either way. I love having company, but if I ride with DH - he's so much slower than I am (he's not a cyclist), that it drives me nuts. I have friends who cycle and we have a great time riding the flats together, but no one shares my love of hills, so it's just the flats (which is fun and we do a group ride once or twice a week). There are a few clubs in my area, and I will join one soon, but I want to get a little better climbing before I do so. We also have a cycling group at work (and even have cycling clothes - pretty cool eh? Although the shorts are great for short rides, not so good for anything over 30 miles), so I ride with them occasionally, but the rides are either all testosterone loaded killer hills (we have some BIG hills in our area - ones I have done on my MTB, but am scared to do on my road bike), or weinie beginner rides - nothing inbetween.
    Christine
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Cycle! It's Good for the Wattle; it's good for the can!

I get running rage for some strange reason and I know if I want to start doing races I need to get over it. When I'm alone I also find it very meditative and calming. When I run with someone, however, something Jekyll/Hyde happens to me. I think something uber-competitive in me flips and I can't stand having to keep a pace with someone. And the other person's breathing always annoys me to no end and I mean really annoys me. It's really unlike me and kind of embarrassing. I also do math in my head all the time when I'm running and I hate/am horrible at math.

I haven't been cycling with a group or even another person yet but I have a feeling I'd like it much better. I think I'd be open to going longer distances and a buddy would help pass the time . . . and then there's the benefit of drafting.
    "Live, more than your neighbors. Unleash yourself upon the world and go places. Go now! Giggle. Know. Laugh. And bark the the moon like the wild dog that you are!" - Jon Blais

I am with everyone here, love, love, love to run alone. Me time. Plus I can focus on what I need to do. And if it is a more leisurely run in the evening, I can look into houses and see how they've decorated, what paint colours they've used, furniture...

I began riding and training a few years ago and it was always a solitary event. This year I forced myself to do my long weekend rides with a small group, but still trained during the week by myself. My riding has improved.
    Fear has been holding me back. Fear of not being good enough and holding people up. I still am a bit anxious when I roll up to my coach's house and see all the "big boy bikes," that are going on the ride that day. (Honestly, my mouth gets dry, my heart is pounding in my chest and I have to talk myself into staying!) Something to work on.

"You can't get what you want till you know what you want." Joe Jackson

2006 Cannondale Feminine/Ultegra/Jett

2012 Trek Speed Concept 9.5/Ultegra/saddle TBD