Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Another First! Overnight Autonomous Tour to Galiano Island (lots of pics)

To disable ads, please log-in.

Thanks for all the great stories told by fellow TEers about their touring trips recently, I managed to convince myself and my lovely partner to go on an self-catered trip for our anniversary.

I still marvel at seeing my sweet partner on his mountain bike with a rear rack, fully loaded panniers and sleeping bag on top. I never thought this would happen. Yet, it did, and he's so excited about it that he wants to do it again!

We went for an overnight trip (celebrating our first wedding anniversary) to Dionisio Park on Galiano Island, in British Columbia. The park is very isolated and no longer accessible by car, so most people get there by boat, and some cycle or walk the 4 km former road to get there. Bottom line: it's really isolated and quiet, unspoiled, and beautiful.

To get there, we needed to leave home at 6 in the morning, ride 34 km to a ferry boat (including a shuttle van to cross an underwater tunnel where bikes are not permitted) and then ride another 25-30 km on the very hilly roads of Galiano. The early-morning ride was beautiful, and I caught up with sleep by napping on the sundeck of the ferry.

What a spectacular ride. There aren't very many roads to explore there, but the hills are steep and some views quite spectacular:

Everything else was perfect on the trip, including the weather and the spectacular tent pad (seen here, still unbuilt - the ocean is in the background):

We also hiked around and explored the funky rock formations in the area:

We had some issues on the return trip due to a full ferry, which took us into town late, but otherwise it was really great.

So thank you all for your inspiring stories! I hope this inspires others to take the plunge and do it too. We sure got the bug now.

That is so cool, beautiful pics! The picture with the boat...the boat looks tiny, how far away were you?

Electra Townie 7D

Great pictures, sounds and looks like you had a great time. Thanks for sharing!

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    Sounds like it was a fabulous trip!!! Thanks for sharing your adventure with us, and for posting all the pics (which you KNOW we love to see ). The scenery is gorgeous, and it looks like you had lots to keep your eyes busy whilst peddaling. I'm sure all the tough climbs were worth it.
    Happy 1st Anniversary to you, also.
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

What a wonderful thing to do for an anniversary! Thanks so much for the photolog of the trip. I love to see other people's photos of their bike rides.

super sweet...
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Great photos! Glad he's gettin' high on loaded bike touring..
    Rather strange..you and I live in same area of town, but still haven't met each other's partner for real. The Internet does serve a purpose. Each of us are too busy... for 4 of us to get together.

We did part of the island a few yrs. ago. Just lst few frames of this slide show
    http://jean.thecyclistwebhouse.com/V...d/image002.htm (As you can tell, I was still in my pre-cycling jersey days..)

So much to explore by bike on those Gulf Islands.

beautiful! Erik and I want to do some cycling on the Islands. We often go to Saltspring but haven't done a 'tour' yet. Maybe next summer.
    It is never too late to be what you might have been. ~ George Elliot

My podcast about being a rookie triathlete:Kelownagurl Tris Podcast

Quote Originally Posted by Pax View Post
    That is so cool, beautiful pics! The picture with the boat...the boat looks tiny, how far away were you?
    It was just a tiny row boat, maybe 10-12 feet long? I'm not sure where they came from, possibly another part of the island, rowing along the shore...

KG: You could organize a multi-day thing, something like Tsawwassen to Swartz Bay (Vancouver Island, then take the ferry at... is it Mill Bay? can't remember, to Saltspring, then from Saltspring to another island... combinations are infinite!

(Can you tell I'm excited?)

Quote Originally Posted by Grog View Post
    It was just a tiny row boat, maybe 10-12 feet long? I'm not sure where they came from, possibly another part of the island, rowing along the shore...

KG: You could organize a multi-day thing, something like Tsawwassen to Swartz Bay (Vancouver Island, then take the ferry at... is it Mill Bay? can't remember, to Saltspring, then from Saltspring to another island... combinations are infinite!

(Can you tell I'm excited?)
    Yeah, it's a gorgeous place to ride. I used to take my bike to the islands for day trips when I was a teen. I want to do more touring but stay in B&B's. Don't want to haul camping gear anymore.
    It is never too late to be what you might have been. ~ George Elliot

My podcast about being a rookie triathlete:Kelownagurl Tris Podcast

Wow - that's lovely! What a great trip!
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

Quote Originally Posted by kelownagirl View Post
    Yeah, it's a gorgeous place to ride. I used to take my bike to the islands for day trips when I was a teen. I want to do more touring but stay in B&B's. Don't want to haul camping gear anymore.
    Smart, smart woman....

Now that I have a Barley bag for my road bike I will be able to go on overnight trips with b&b style accommodation. That should be exciting too!

Although I don't regret taking the big bikes and full gear to go to Dionisio. Seldom can one visit such beautiful, quiet places...

what a great story! Thanks for sharing. My partner and I are planning a trip to Yellowstone in the spring together (touring, is that obvious?), anyway, did you know it opens to bikes before cars??? I just love the idea of riding with my best friend!