Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Curt Gowdy State Park, Wyoming

To disable ads, please log-in.

Has anyone here in the Rocky Mountain region been mountain biking on the new(er) trails in Curt Gowdy State Park, near Cheyenne, WY?

http://wyoparks.state.wy.us/Site/SiteInfo.asp?siteID=4

I am trying to get a feel for the difficulty level there and the elevation gain (amount of climbing). I've read all I can find on the internet, which has only led to more questions. On one hand, mtbrs say they can ride most of the trails in 3 hours, then on this site it states the total elevation gain on the ride is nearly 6,000 feet?!!? I really don't think that could be right, does anyone know?

http://www.singletracks.com/php/trail.php?id=1845

My SO wants to go there some time in the next few weeks to check it out before a mountain bike race on Sep 27th on the same trails. The race is about 11 miles of the 17 miles of trails there (loops), so he wants to ride the race course. There looks to be at least one or two easy trails I could probably do, but he wants us to ride the whole thing (even if I "have to walk parts of it").

Just nervous about whether I could even do this or will just get frustrated and he will get fed up with me. I haven't even been on a mountain bike trail in about 5 weeks now and being a beginner (and out of shape) I am worried that this is too challenging. If I don't go with him, he will go without me or find someone else to go, so there is some pressure to go just so we can spend the one day a week we both have off work together. I guess I just want to know what I'm getting into before I make the decision to drive up there with him or not.

I pretty much suck at mountain biking and KNOW I would die if I had to climb almost 6,000 feet in what, 5.5 miles?? That isn't even possible, is it?

um... can't comment on this exact location, but I know that both Vedavoo and Happy Jack have very do-able mtn bike trails (if not clearly marked one).

Have fun!

I have a friend that did a race there, so the level of difficulty was high for that. BUT, he did say there are a good network of trails that would be okay for a beginner. You should go and do what you can.

He also didn't think the elevation was that high. Good luck!