Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ashamed to admit this...

To disable ads, please log-in.

I work 2 miles from my house (2.43 miles to be exact), and have for over a year. Today is the first day I rode my bike to work. Now part of that is because I only just got a reliable bike in July (I have been known to walk to work), but mostly because I thought it would be too much of a hassle.

After coming here and reading about the 16 mile, 25 mile and even greater commutes, I woke up this morning and decided today is the day. It was so much easier than I thought (I was worried about carrying my computer, lunch, work clothes, but due to a big backpack, I fit it all in). So, now on the days I do not transport the goofy dog in my avatar to doggie daycare (1 to 2 times a week), I will be riding my bike. Thanks for the motivation. I'm even going home over lunch today - figure I can get almost 10 miles that way!
    Christine
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Cycle! It's Good for the Wattle; it's good for the can!

Way to go!!

My commute is short too but I find my mood is so much better on the days I ride.

Electra Townie 7D

Quote Originally Posted by andtckrtoo View Post
    So, now on the days I do not transport the goofy dog in my avatar to doggie daycare (1 to 2 times a week), I will be riding my bike.
    Good for you on the first commute! And good news: You can ride and bring your dog with you: http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showt...t=baby+trailer
    Almost a Bike Blog:
    http://kf.rainydaycommunications.net/

Never give up. Never surrender.

Quote Originally Posted by kfergos View Post
    Good for you on the first commute! And good news: You can ride and bring your dog with you: http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showt...t=baby+trailer
    Oh man! That's too funny. That would definitely be a workout - Jimmy is 60 pounds.
    Christine
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Excellent job!

No need to be ashamed! You're still way ahead of the curve for most of the population!

You're all set for these now:
    http://1world2wheels.org/go-by-bike-challenge
    http://2milechallenge.com/home.html

-- gnat!

Thumbs up

I for one am proud that you've taken the first step to bicycle commuting! Way to go!
    My bike is my Benz.

I can relate: I haven't done the commute to work yet -- all 3 miles of it. At first it was because I didn't have a headlight (it's still quite dark when I'm going in to work). But I just acquired a sweet Planet Bike headlight/taillight combo, so I'm gonna have to just get up my nerve and do it one of these days. (Wouldn't ya know, the forecast calls for rain all this week, though. )

Well done you.
    Its a start and thats where all good things begin

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,
    "I will try again tomorrow".

You will find for those days that you don't ride, even the short distance, you will miss it. I know I do. That morning air, before it gets polluted with car fumes, really gives me a much better start to the day...

Thanks everyone! I know I enjoyed my ride so much today, that I'm excited to do it again tomorrow. After work, my friend and I are going to do a longer ride, so that will be fun.

I just feel better knowing that I'm not adding to the crap in the air and that I'm doing something for me. I really do think I'll be keeping this up. Now, I just have to figure out if I want to commute on my snazzy new road bike or if I want to reclaim and old Trek Mountain track from my 15 yo's boyfriend and use that to commute. Decisions, Decisions!

WackyJacky - if it makes you feel any better, it drizzled on me this morning - and rain in California in the summer is very unusual. I just decided to ride through it. I say go for it! If you plan too long, you'll plan yourself out of it. Although I am making a list of things to bring into the office to stay here - like a hair dryer, just in case.
    Last edited by andtckrtoo; 08-20-2008 at 04:54 PM.
    Christine

Quote Originally Posted by gnat23 View Post
    No need to be ashamed! You're still way ahead of the curve for most of the population!
    Yep, you are doing great - and for sure you are way ahead of me: I live like 1 mile from the hospital and still drive everyday...

Good for you. It's astonishing how these "short" commute miles add up in a hurry. Not to mention how wonderful you feel on so many levels.

I'm commuting again today, but I walked in to work with my dog. I'll walk him home at lunch, and then ride back. That way he gets some exercise too.
    Christine

Hooray for you!