Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Butterfly vs Damselfly

To disable ads, please log-in.

Forgive me for not having time to search. I currently have a Selle Italia Lady Gel saddle that I believe to be the same dimensions as a Terry Buttrfly. The problem is the back of the saddle is just a hair too wide and I am getting mild saddle sores in the crease of my leg area. Otherwise I love the shape, style, etc.

I was thinking maybe the Damselfly would be suitable. It looks narrower, am I right on that? I hate spending $100 to keep trying but no one has one in stock. At least the current saddle would be fine on my commuter as it doesn't bother me on shorter rides.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

You are right, but it is MUCH narrower (think of the Selle Italia SLR Gel Flow width).

I have always had a slightly wide saddle in the back but this one is giving me saddle sores. Ugh. I am now in the saddle hell world.
    Amanda

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

Several years ago, I felt my trusty Butterfly was too wide and tried a Damselfly. Big mistake! Not only was it *much* narrower, it was *much* harder (all I could think of was riding on a two by four), and the cutout was so narrow it pinched my girly bits and left me raw. I had to sell it.

I do know that some gals really like the Damselfly, but I found it surpremely uncomfortable. There are plenty of slightly narrower saddles now that look much nicer to me -- like the 143mm width Specialized (Lithia, Ruby, Jett, and others).

YMMV -- just wanted to put my two cents in.

Emily, happily riding her Butterfly again
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

My saddle is 5 mm wider than the Butterfly but I am concerned on the Damselfly. I have a very firm saddle on my commuter and I do not have an issue with that even on on an aluminum bike. But the cutout thing has got me wondering. I might look at Specialized.
    Amanda