Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

an unfortunate incident

To disable ads, please log-in.

I had a near wreck today on a local bike path. I was riding along, slowly, (it was a recovery ride on my old bike, on a drizzly day on a busy path), when the path curved to the right. I saw an older man standing off to the left side of the path, just as it curved. He was looking toward me. So, I slowed slightly & stayed toward the right, when suddenly, I saw that he was holding a retractable leash, which was strung out full length across the path & connected to a dog on the opposite side, just around the bend. (I couldn't see the dog until I started around the curve, because of the plantings along the path...)

I braked, let out a small yelp when I realized that I couldn't stop in time & thought that I was going to be taken down. Fortunately, the dog was short & the leash was low, and my front wheel pushed it down & under the bike. No wreck ensued, but my heart was racing.

I stopped & the man started to yell at me. "You're going too fast! This path is for walking! You shouldn't be riding a bike here, lady!"

I was really surprised to have him yelling at me, but I took a breath, and said what came in to my head in response, which was, "This is a multi-use path."

He yelled again, "You shouldn't be riding a bike here. It's for walking."

I said again "This is a multi-use path. It's for bikes and pedestrians."

He said, again yelling, "It's mainly for walkers & you shouldn't be going any faster than the slowest person."

At this point, I was shaking from the combination of the near wreck & the feeling of being attacked. I couldn't get my wits about me to communicate in any way that would be effective, and so I just got back on my bike & rode away.

Anyway, I mainly wish that I could have thought more clearly in the moment, so that I could have talked to him a little more effectively. I wish that I would have talked to him, not angrily, but just to explain that having the leash strung across the path like that created a hazard for anyone that came by. I wish I would have asked him to think about staying on the same side of the path that his dog is on, so he won't clothesline anyone else in the future. I mean it's pretty unlikely that he was going to say "Oh, you're right! My bad!" But maybe he would think about it in the future when he's out walking his dog.

I was almost in tears when I rode away, from the combination of near wreck & frustration at how I was treated. I wish I could have just had the clarity in the moment to represent myself more effectively.

Oh, well. I'm ok, the bike's ok, the dog's ok, and even the cranky man is ok.

Glad everyone's okay. I'm sorry that man felt that he had to yell at you.

Sometimes all you can do is remove yourself from a situation.

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Quote Originally Posted by blueskies View Post
    At this point, I was shaking from the combination of the near wreck & the feeling of being attacked. I couldn't get my wits about me to communicate in any way that would be effective, and so I just got back on my bike & rode away.

Anyway, I mainly wish that I could have thought more clearly in the moment, so that I could have talked to him a little more effectively. I wish that I would have talked to him, not angrily, but just to explain that having the leash strung across the path like that created a hazard for anyone that came by. I wish I would have asked him to think about staying on the same side of the path that his dog is on, so he won't clothesline anyone else in the future. I mean it's pretty unlikely that he was going to say "Oh, you're right! My bad!" But maybe he would think about it in the future when he's out walking his dog.

I was almost in tears when I rode away, from the combination of near wreck & frustration at how I was treated. I wish I could have just had the clarity in the moment to represent myself more effectively.

Oh, well. I'm ok, the bike's ok, the dog's ok, and even the cranky man is ok.
    He is the sort of person that needs a reminder to stay on same side as dog. Just chalk it up to experience.

I had something similar happen to me..when I was riding a multi-use path..but 1 side was for cyclists. It was in the highly popular Stanley park here, several years ago where I was commuting homeward from work. It was abit twilight and the dog walker had his leashed dog carelessly across the path, the leash loose while he yaaked on cell phone. A clear indication he didn't care...or whatever. Wasn't going fast but I did go down abit on bike since I barely could see the leash.

My cycling partner who was with me...yelled at him. The guy got the message.

Now, I do yell out of my incoming presence or use the bell with dog walkers..if there's enough time.

Since I'm not a dog owner nor grew up in a dog/any pet household, I often wonder if my irritation at some dog-owners is reflective of not being a dog-owner. But my partner had various dogs at home for over 4 decades of his life and so if he gets really pissed off at some thoughtless dog owners on the path,...I use him as my benchmark.

I appreciate the dogs with reflective collars, little jackets, etc. Important for nightlifers on bikes.

I'm glad you're ok but I'm afraid the best argument-even a copy of the Rules Of The MUT- wouldn't persuade this guy.
    From your description of the incident he sounds like the type of person who is always right and the world should revolve around him.

I don't care for MUTs.
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

ah, I'm sorry, blueskies. It really sucks when you meet angry self-righteous people who can see no other side than their own Like, you were supposed to ride slow enough so you could stop and LIFT your bike over the leash?? He should have at least made a move towards one side.
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

Quote Originally Posted by blueskies View Post
    He said, again yelling, "It's mainly for walkers & you shouldn't be going any faster than the slowest person."
    ...so based on his logic, I suppose that there's no jogging allowed either?

Once while channel surfing, Silver and I came across a "Judge Judy" show where a cyclist was suing for damage to his bike caused by a careless driver. The driver's defense was "there are XXX miles of bike paths in Minnesota...so he didn't belong on the road"

This older guy thinks that "his use" of the path is the "best use" of the path...and he'll have to reconcile that on his own.

So, here's a question. On one of my routes, to avoid traffic, I take a short cut on a short path for "pedestrian traffic only". I'm careful and no one has ever had an issue...but if someone did, isn't it true that a bicycle is "pedestrian"???? Government statistics for bikes are for "pedalcycles"
    If you don't grow where you're planted, you'll never BLOOM - Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Silver View Post
    So, here's a question. On one of my routes, to avoid traffic, I take a short cut on a short path for "pedestrian traffic only". I'm careful and no one has ever had an issue...but if someone did, isn't it true that a bicycle is "pedestrian"???? Government statistics for bikes are for "pedalcycles"
    From answers.com

Definition: pedestrian
    (pə-dĕs'trē-ən) pronunciation

n.

A person traveling on foot; a walker.

Regarding the clown with the dog: Every multi-use trail I've been on has posted rules stating that all traffic is to stay to the right except to pass. Having the dog leash across the trail makes him the rule breaker, not you. Glad you are okay. Can you imagine? Speed limit 1 mph.
    Claudia

2009 Trek 7.6fx
    2013 Jamis Satellite
    2014 Terry Burlington

I hate it when what I really want to say doesn't come out of my mouth at the time I need it to. But, I agree, the advice about the leash would have fallen on deaf ears anyway.

I'm not a dog training expert, but IMHO, I think those retractable leashes should have never been invented. If trained properly, your dog should heel next to your left leg at all times unless instructed otherwise.

Even when we camp, the ground rules state "leads/tie outs, no longer than 6 feet". People don't follows it, but they have it for a reason. A safe distance containment.

I'm sorry this happened to you. I've had similiar things. Bleah!

I'm sorry that happened and it must've been scary.

I don't have a dog but I've walked a LOT of them and I'd love to have one. From what I've noticed on MUT's, people can be really irresponsible. I don't get it. If you're walking your dog, communicate with the dog instead of being on the cell phone! The dog doesn't know enough not to get hurt by a cyclist or car so I think it's up to the human to ensure the dog is where it should be.

I run and ride on the same trail. When I run, the dogs are all cute and the walkers don't bother me. When I ride, I realize just how dangerous it is with the dogs running far ahead due to retractable leashes (IF they are leashed) and the people walking all over the trail just not on the side they are supposed to be on.

And no, the pedestrians simply don't get it. Some even think it's funny.

Those retractable leashes are evil! They give absolutely no control over the dog. No trainer I know from my animal shelter days will use or endorse them.

I hate those horrible retractable leashes. I don't think they should be allowed on a path like that--one of those leashes combined with a dog owner wearing an iPod is a lethal combination.

I think you handled it really well, and I'd bet that the guy's reaction was probably driven more by his own fear/adrenaline surge when he realized what COULD have happened than anything else. Maybe he's just a jerk, but maybe he's also a guy who will be more careful in the future. (But come on, no faster than the slowest walker? So we should all be going the pace of the 80 year old cardiac patient?)

Hmmm, I kinda like the idea of handing out the MUT rules to people you pass. I would have given four of them yesterday to people walking their dogs without leashes.

I'm glad everyone was OK!

Sarah

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Silver View Post
    On one of my routes, to avoid traffic, I take a short cut on a short path for "pedestrian traffic only". I'm careful and no one has ever had an issue...but if someone did, isn't it true that a bicycle is "pedestrian"???? Government statistics for bikes are for "pedalcycles"
    NO!!! On pedestrian thoroughfares INCLUDING ALL SIDEWALKS cyclists must dismount and walk. This is a HUGE pet peeve of mine.

Now, I won't deny the rare instance of cheating when there are NO pedestrians on the sidewalk. But as soon as I see someone on foot coming the opposite direction, I dismount to pass them. Early enough that they don't have to adjust their pace and wonder whether I'm going to. No exceptions. Bikes don't belong in pedestrian lanes.

Now, of course, MUTs are a whole different beast, and the OP was absolutely in the right, but the simple fact that there is over a 1000% differential in the expected speeds of users of an 8 foot wide strip is exactly what makes MUTs so dangerous. Even when there aren't arrogant !@#$%@$#s insisting that all traffic should go THEIR speed.

ETA: of course, most people aren't at their best after a huge surge of adrenaline, so maybe after the guy had a little time to calm down, he may have realized he was in the wrong and decided to adjust his future behavior. Just glad everyone's safe, dog included - I've seen a dog and bike tangle on a MUT and it wasn't pretty
    Last edited by OakLeaf; 08-20-2008 at 03:25 AM.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I had the same experience as blueskies a few months ago. An older man had his dog on a retractable leash, with the dog on one side of the trail and him on the other. I came up on them around a curve, slowly, and had to stop. I might have rung my bell. He started ranting that "you bike riders think you own the trail" and on and on.

I also didn't engage with him, just went on the grass and on my way, but I really wanted to tell him, "no, I don't think I own the trail, but I'd like to borrow just one little strip over here on the right if you don't mind."

I've got a retractable leash but haven't used it in about 11 years, since I saw how dangerous they are.

OMG Zen that's exactly the old guy I was thinking of!

I hear you on the post conflict adrenaline rush. I hate that. I am with the other poster that stated that he probably figured out afterward that he was probably in the wrong, but he was too stubborn to say "My bad!"

When I was at my dad's last year, I went to a local multiuse trail park and while driving down the dirt road, a woman walking a dog started yelling at me "SLOW DOWN!!!!". I was going about 8 mph and it was posted for 15. I was so mad that I actually pulled over and walked up to her. Of course she simmered down...but I told her that if she had a problem the ranger is probably at the office. And she had a retractable leash and had her dog strung across the road!!

I just don't like that crazy drama people deal out.

For the record I have a retractable leash but I don't use it that often. If I'm going for a long walk where there is NO ONE, I use it, but if it's around where I'm staying in Mass (busy beach area), I don't use it. I don't want her that far from me. I think the 3 foot rule applies when you are on a multiuse trail (well the common sense 3 foot rule leash law-where the dog is not on a leash longer than 3 feet within your control).

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Too bad someone doesn't invent a James Bond-like retractable leash cutter for bikes that can razor-cut a leash as we ride through it.
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^