Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Owlie View Post
    What didn't you like about the Ruby? Specialized's offerings are among the most t-shaped out there, at least for commonly available saddles.
    The Ruby just didn't seem to have enough padding, esp considering I'd been riding a Terry saddle for 8 years or so. But I got my bike fit after I changed saddles...Having the seat height, handlebars, and so on dialed in might help so I'm going to try it again. It is more T shaped than either of the other saddles and the cutout is a little longer too. I have high hopes

Quote Originally Posted by CindyK View Post
    The Ruby just didn't seem to have enough padding, esp considering I'd been riding a Terry saddle for 8 years or so. But I got my bike fit after I changed saddles...Having the seat height, handlebars, and so on dialed in might help so I'm going to try it again. It is more T shaped than either of the other saddles and the cutout is a little longer too. I have high hopes
    If the Ruby still seems too hard, try a Jett. The footprint is very similar, just more padding.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Quote Originally Posted by Owlie View Post
    If the Ruby still seems too hard, try a Jett. The footprint is very similar, just more padding.
    Thanks! I tried my old Ruby today, the one I have isn't wide enough for one thing but I think I'd still prefer a little more padding and I was wondering if the Jett had a similar shape. It's hard to tell from the pics on Specialized's website.

I got a Bontrager - can't remember which one off the top of my head - on loan from my LBS to try out. But I don't think it's wide enough either. I expect I'll be ordering a Jett soon enough.

The saddle I tried was the Bontrager Affinity SL. It's shaped almost exactly like the Ruby. I liked it a lot more than I thought I would. I was worried about not having a cutout but my girlie bits were actually quite comfy, better than with either Terry OR the Ruby, so now I wonder if maybe cutouts aren't a good thing for me. Anyway...

It felt a little narrow when I sat up on the hoods, perfect in the drops. I was planning to get a little more agressive with my position anyway, so I think I'll do that and then see if this one works or if I need a wider one - the one I have now is the medium width, 143.

Fame and fortune await? Read this saddle tips thread from "Cervello Engineers". It's almost word for word (and exactly word for word in bits) what we discussed here.

http://www.cervelo.com/en/engineerin...-saddles-.html

The word is getting out: women need saddles that fit and wrenches need to know how to do that.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

Sounds like we need to double down on figuring out that shape test for them.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    That needs a caveat.
    The page is open to comments ...

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    The page is open to comments ...
    Yeah, as in "Dudes, you need to hire the OP as an engineer"

I imagine if you Google search "Women's saddle fit test" you get this discussion. I've often said this is the best place in cyberspace for women cyclists and this proves it. Susan? Your little discussion board is famous.
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Folder ~ Brompton

I think we've done enough work for them.
    Eh, if it were a saddle manufacturer maybe, but they're just trying to spread the knowledge, and that's all good AFAIC. At least they credited Knott and this board with her cut-out test, though a linky would've been nice.

they're just trying to spread the knowledge, and that's all good AFAIC.
    That's the opinion at Chez Knott More knowledge more better.

At least they credited Knott and this board with her cut-out test, though a linky would've been nice.
    Huh? We did not see that. Oooh, found it! Cool, and thanks, Oakleaf!
    Last edited by Trek420; 01-07-2013 at 11:07 AM.
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Folder ~ Brompton

I was a TE lurker...

Whoa! That's a little earie. Looks like they're TE lurkers!
    Hi Sheila, Sorry to be a spook - yes, I am an occasional lurker here, mostly because of the high-quality problem solving demonstrated by this group of smart women not afraid to discuss the details that really matter. I've avoided posting until now, out of respect and also in order not to disturb the cooperative spirit here, which I think could be partly the result of a (virtually) women-only environment. I'm only posting now because Trek420 graciously invited me to do so; I hope it's okay. This is my second post. My first post is introducing myself in the "Getting to know you" thread.

Even the percentile of men and women being such and such a width. I've linked to that discussion many times for people here. That is the thread where someone placed the coins on a saddle and took a picture. Really great discussion. And play-doh, huh? Wonder whose idea that was?

I agree, the stats on sit bone width are a nice reference. I guess we used the same database. Is the play-doh technique yours? If so please let me know how you'd like to be named and I'll revise the article to give proper credit, as I did for the Cutout Test after Knott called me on the phone. I had PMed her but not in time for her to see it, so I was really happy to hear from her and be able to use her real name in giving credit for the test!

The point of taking center to center and adding 2 centimeters to get saddle width is a problem, though. My center to center is 118, and yet my outside distance is around 155. I can't use a saddle more narrow than 150, and wider is better. Yet this puts me on a 138. That needs a caveat.
    Agreed, and as OakLeaf mentioned, maybe you'd like to add that as a comment on the article? I'm aware of that concept, which is why I wrote: "...equal or greater than the center-to-center spacing between your sit bones, plus about 1 centimeter on each side."
    And "Saddle width >= sit bone spacing + 2cm" (emphasis added).

What do you think?

Respectfully,

Damon Rinard
    Last edited by damon_rinard; 01-11-2013 at 05:15 AM.

Hi OakLeaf,

Thanks for pointing out that we gave Knott credit. I looked into the link, which I thought was in the article, and it is - the words "The cutout test" are hyperlinked to the individual post Knott made. But the web page style simply changes the color of the linked text to red, which doesn't stand out enough to be an obvious link. So we're editing the article now to specifically give the link, and in a more obvious way. Thanks for mentioning that!

Respecfully,

Damon Rinard

Quote Originally Posted by damon_rinard View Post
    I'm only posting now because Trek420 graciously invited me to do so; I hope it's okay. This is my second post.
    Damon Rinard
    And a hale and hearty welcome to TE! Just remember to leave the seat down.
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Folder ~ Brompton

Quote Originally Posted by Trek420 View Post
    And a hale and hearty welcome to TE! Just remember to leave the seat down.
    Thanks for the welcome, Trek420! Don't worry, I'm well-trained - seat's always down. But the saddle's at just the right height.
    Respectfully,

Damon Rinard

hello everybody, my first post apart from getting to know detail. so I am the proud owner of a whole garage full of saddles, not cheap ones, but I am not getting it right, so maybe somebody here will have ideas.

so ive been riding quite comfortably on spez avatar 155 for years, until I started riding a bit more aggressively, from thereon they are to cushy and caused chaving. Got sella italia slr (ladies one) but think its too narrow, chaving again. Spez ruby okay for up to 3 hour rides then same thing, and I find the saddle flexes too much to my liking.

now this is the thing, went for bike fit on my new stumpy fsr, the guy sold me a fizik arione donna, and whalla, no chaving!! but.... it squashes other tender bits badly. I tried to make it work, drop front a bit etc but no. apart from that the best saddle ever though. so where can I get something with that shape but a cut out or deeper indentation?