Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

It's not a southern thing. Most LBSes that I can think of with demo saddles have plenty of mens'--but not women's--saddles.

I need an extremely T-shaped saddle, because I get chafing on the back of my thigh otherwise. How's your core strength? I know you're racing, so probably better than some of us (me included!). I had my fit adjusted to be more aggressive (though not racing-aggressive) and my Jett did horrible things to me, even though I found it pretty comfortable previously. It's getting better as my core strength improves, though.

My next bike is probably going to be a more aggressive one. I worry that I'm not going to be able to get a saddle to work with that--the rest of me is comfortable, but not those in contact with the saddle.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Owlie - to be honest, my core strength is my biggest weakness - so good call thinking of that.

I have been thinking and perhaps my saddle needs have also changed as my body has changed into a racing machine I think perhaps my sit bones are sliding around the seat and that is causing soft tissue pressure. I also looked into some demo programs and even though it looks like competitive cyclist doesn't demo anymore - they have a 60 day no questions asked return policy, so I guess I could test and return, no questions asked!

In the meanwhile I had better get that strength ball out of the cupboard and get working!

I shouldn't, and maybe this isn't the right place to put this, but found this explanation of how to measure your sit bones on another forum (read, men's).

Quote Originally Posted by rosborn View Post
    You can measure your own sit bones. Take a string, squat and/or lay on your back with your legs over your head, feel for your sit bones, stretch the string from one sit bone to the other sit bone (measuring the outer edge of each). Take that measured distance and that is the saddle width you need. There really isn't any magic to the whole thing.
    Only a guy would put it like that.
    So long as the wheels are still turning, life is good.

Battswebb

Pinarello Quattro~CAADX~ Zurich Lemond
    Specialized Romin Saddles

Surly Krampus!

I had a Terry Butterfly on my old Cannondale, never had many issues except some usually tolerable chafing in the bits. When I got a new bike the saddle was AWFUL (Specialized Ruby) so I ditched it and bought a Terry Falcon X as I wanted something a little more performance - oriented (and to fix the chafing). It has a bigger cut-out than the butterfly which completely solved the chafing issue but now I've developed these hard lumps in the crease between my thighs and labia. They are hard and don't seem to be fluid filled or infected in any way (not warm or red - in fact they aren't even visible I can just feel them. Oh and no broken skin). I went back to the butterfly for a 45 mile ride this morning and it seemed to be easier on the wierd lumps but it still chafes.

The Falcon is more pear shaped and MUCH more flexible than the Butterfly.

I took another look at the Ruby and I might give it a second try now that I've had the bike fit (of course, changing saddles will change that somewhat) and I'm going back to my bike fitter guy hopefully this week in any case but in the meantime does anyone have any thoughts? I don't mind buying another saddle but I'd like to make this the last one for a while...
    Last edited by CindyK; 09-03-2012 at 12:24 PM. Reason: edited to add Ruby

Those might be ingrown hairs, caused by irritation from the saddle--I get those too, even with the Jett, which is the best saddle that I've tried so far. (No broken skin, just feels bruised and irritated.) They weren't as bad with the Selle Italia I tried, but it's hard to gauge because half the time I was sitting on the nose because of how pear-shaped that saddle was, and because my rides on that were shorter.

What didn't you like about the Ruby? Specialized's offerings are among the most t-shaped out there, at least for commonly available saddles.

Quote Originally Posted by Owlie View Post
    What didn't you like about the Ruby? Specialized's offerings are among the most t-shaped out there, at least for commonly available saddles.
    The Ruby just didn't seem to have enough padding, esp considering I'd been riding a Terry saddle for 8 years or so. But I got my bike fit after I changed saddles...Having the seat height, handlebars, and so on dialed in might help so I'm going to try it again. It is more T shaped than either of the other saddles and the cutout is a little longer too. I have high hopes

Quote Originally Posted by CindyK View Post
    The Ruby just didn't seem to have enough padding, esp considering I'd been riding a Terry saddle for 8 years or so. But I got my bike fit after I changed saddles...Having the seat height, handlebars, and so on dialed in might help so I'm going to try it again. It is more T shaped than either of the other saddles and the cutout is a little longer too. I have high hopes
    If the Ruby still seems too hard, try a Jett. The footprint is very similar, just more padding.

Quote Originally Posted by Owlie View Post
    If the Ruby still seems too hard, try a Jett. The footprint is very similar, just more padding.
    Thanks! I tried my old Ruby today, the one I have isn't wide enough for one thing but I think I'd still prefer a little more padding and I was wondering if the Jett had a similar shape. It's hard to tell from the pics on Specialized's website.

I got a Bontrager - can't remember which one off the top of my head - on loan from my LBS to try out. But I don't think it's wide enough either. I expect I'll be ordering a Jett soon enough.

The saddle I tried was the Bontrager Affinity SL. It's shaped almost exactly like the Ruby. I liked it a lot more than I thought I would. I was worried about not having a cutout but my girlie bits were actually quite comfy, better than with either Terry OR the Ruby, so now I wonder if maybe cutouts aren't a good thing for me. Anyway...

It felt a little narrow when I sat up on the hoods, perfect in the drops. I was planning to get a little more agressive with my position anyway, so I think I'll do that and then see if this one works or if I need a wider one - the one I have now is the medium width, 143.

Fame and fortune await? Read this saddle tips thread from "Cervello Engineers". It's almost word for word (and exactly word for word in bits) what we discussed here.

http://www.cervelo.com/en/engineerin...-saddles-.html

The word is getting out: women need saddles that fit and wrenches need to know how to do that.
    Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on the road ~ Motobecane Mixte
    N+1 new bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Commuter ~ Soma Buena Vista Mixte

http://madeinusareviews.blogspot.com/

Sounds like we need to double down on figuring out that shape test for them.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by Trek420 View Post
    Fame and fortune await? Read this saddle tips thread from "Cervello Engineers". It's almost word for word (and exactly word for word in bits) what we discussed here.

http://www.cervelo.com/en/engineerin...-saddles-.html

The word is getting out: women need saddles that fit and wrenches need to know how to do that.

Whoa! That's a little earie. Looks like they're TE lurkers! Even the percentile of men and women being such and such a width. I've linked to that discussion many times for people here. That is the thread where someone placed the coins on a saddle and took a picture. Really great discussion. And play-doh, huh? Wonder whose idea that was?

The point of taking center to center and adding 2 centimeters to get saddle width is a problem, though. My center to center is 118, and yet my outside distance is around 155. I can't use a saddle more narrow than 150, and wider is better. Yet this puts me on a 138. That needs a caveat.
    Last edited by Muirenn; 01-07-2013 at 05:59 AM.

Battswebb

Surly Krampus!

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    That needs a caveat.
    The page is open to comments ...
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    Yeah, as in "Dudes, you need to hire the OP as an engineer"

I imagine if you Google search "Women's saddle fit test" you get this discussion. I've often said this is the best place in cyberspace for women cyclists and this proves it. Susan? Your little discussion board is famous.
    Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on the road ~ Motobecane Mixte
    N+1 new bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Commuter ~ Soma Buena Vista Mixte

http://madeinusareviews.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    I think we've done enough work for them.

Battswebb

Surly Krampus!