Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

My LBS would let me put both on my bike to do a quick sit test before buying. Maybe you could find one to do the same?

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

thanks for taking the time to post, Knott, your expertise is always appreciated.
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

Hi all,

First post on this forum, though I have read many posts by others. I'd like to say there is some immensely useful info throughout, and some very insightful and helpful people! After reading many posts about various saddles I have purchased and am waiting to receive a Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow. With my 150mm sit bone width I reckon this should be a good fit.

In regards to tips on saddle fit though, thought I might add one (seemingly obvious, though not to me!) tip - no matter what saddle you choose, it will be incredibly uncomfortable if you have your saddle set too high. I have been riding mountainbikes and road for about four years, and over this time I have been through about ten different saddles (WTB Speed V, Specialized Ruby Gel, Fizik Pave, Fizik Aliante to name a few). I have also had recurrent pressure issues that have led to some nasty boils between my 'girly parts' and the top of my thigh, which have resulted in some long periods off the bike while they healed.

I have always put this down to just not having the right saddle for me, with the most recent choice being a Fizik Vitesse Tri (which has been the least uncomfortable). About a week ago, I had a good look at just how high I set my saddle on both my mtb and road bike, and realised that they were both way too high (by about an inch and a half). I have always insisted on having my saddle a few inches higher than my bars (mostly for aesthetics), but being 5'3" and riding XS frames means that is just not correct bike fit. I never felt like my hips were rocking, but I think this resulted in me (especially on my road bike) flattening out from the hips to reach my handlebars and consequently placing all my weight on my soft tissue, rather than using my tummy and curving my back, which keeps my sit bones centred on the seat.

After significantly reducing my saddle height on both bikes, I have been out for a few rides on the Vitesse (one 100km ride on the roadie) with ZERO problems. If anything my bum felt a little tender where my sit bones are for an hour or so but I put this down to actually being in the right place on the saddle for the first time! Issues with getting too hot have also gone away, which is a bonus. Making these changes has also stopped me from constantly scooting back on the saddle trying to get comfortable - the saddle now sits level, and in the middle of the rails. I am really looking forward to being able to ride when I like, without worrying about getting painful boils and dealing with constant discomfort. I also look forward to trying out the Diva, knowing it will be set up correctly (I have taken the measurement from centre of BB to middle of the top of the saddle and written it down so I will get it right!). Will also save me moving one saddle around on two bikes!

Long story I know, but maybe will help someone like me!

Lynda

goodness, Lynda, I am glad you figured it out.
    Welcome to TE!
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

Unhappy Saddle sorrows!

I hope someone can suggest something... I can't afford to buy any more saddles without knowing they will work!

I am a competitive road cyclist. I ride 13-15hrs and 6 days a week.

I had a Specialized Dolce for 6 months and used the Spesh Ruby saddle which was great. Then I bought a Cannondale Supersix and got a whole lot more aggressive which led to me switching to a John Cobb V-Flow. The Ruby's T shape seemed to cut off the blood supply at the point between my butt and upper thigh. Miserable rides, legs went dead from lack of blood, adopted a teammates old Cobb saddle that had a cosmetic blemish and she didn't use anymore.

Cobb V-Flow worked great for a year, THEN, in March 2012, I adjusted my fit for an even more aggressive position - dropped my bars, went compact so now I am even lower. Well, my saddle is now hurting my soft tissue so much that last weekend at Collegiate Nationals, I finished the 60min crit with a cut and bleeding labia. That is not even funny considering how much pressure I had on those pedals.

Another teammate recommended the Fizik Arione Donna - it has some wing flex thing that allows your legs to move easily but I don't want to put another $150 down the toilet so to speak...

Any suggestions?! HEEEEELLLP. Had to take 3 days off the bike to let everything heal up.

OK, so I ride the same bike (though it's a men's/unisex frame) and I have the EXACT same issues...I found the Arione Donna to be one of the WORST saddles for the problem, unfortunately.

I am patiently waiting for the Ergon SM-3 saddle to become available. In the meantime the best saddle I have found is the Bontrager Affinity. If the Ergon doesn't work I can live with the Bontrager, but I keep feeling like my perfect saddle must still be out there.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

Thanks Kirsten. I also have the Men's Supersix. It came with some fancy man saddle that I got rid of on ebay and now wishing I had kept it just to try!

I looked at the Ergon saddle - that looks very T shaped - do you also have problems with blood flow to your legs? I have a similar saddle on my Mountain bike but I really don't ride it enough to develop issues

The Bontrager Affinity looks like an option, but the description says it is for a more upright position. I wish that the people writing about the products were actually women racers who had used them and could verify these sorts of things!

I might put the Ruby saddle back on my c'dale and see if I can bear it. In the meantime I'll look for a Bontrager stockist to demo the Affinity!

2011 Cannnondale Supersix Hi Mod 1/any saddle that works
    2005 Specialized XC FSR/Ariel 143

Quote Originally Posted by louisianalouise View Post
    Thanks Kirsten. I also have the Men's Supersix. It came with some fancy man saddle that I got rid of on ebay and now wishing I had kept it just to try!

I looked at the Ergon saddle - that looks very T shaped - do you also have problems with blood flow to your legs? I have a similar saddle on my Mountain bike but I really don't ride it enough to develop issues

The Bontrager Affinity looks like an option, but the description says it is for a more upright position. I wish that the people writing about the products were actually women racers who had used them and could verify these sorts of things!
    Funny, my husband took the saddle that came on my SuperSix and says it's his favorite saddle ever.

I do need a really T-shaped saddle...not for numbness issues, but because my inner thighs get all beat-to-hell on a pear-shaped saddle and I end up forced onto the nose too much.

The Affinity does claim it's for more upright riding, but it feels OK on my road bike. The little dip up front could stand to be a hair deeper. It works really well on my CX bike, since I am not quite so aggressively positioned on that bike.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

lousianalouise,

Are there any shops in your area that have a demo fleet of saddles? That would be a great way to try several saddles until you find something that is comfortable.

http://chasecyclery.blogspot.com

I cannot help but wonder if it is not entirely a saddle problem - as it appears when you switched to the Supersix is when it all started. Do you perhaps have an underlying bike fit problem that is not going to be solved with a saddle alone? (reach too long? cranks too long?)

You also said you switched to a more aggressive position, which also started problems. I would suggest that you go back - getting a few mm's lower probably isn't going to make or break you as a racer - but not being able to sit on your saddle sure will.
    Last edited by Eden; 05-10-2012 at 07:30 AM.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

Ridebikeme:
    Yes, I have a great relationship with my LBS but like many places in the deep south, they have very limited supplies of women's gear. They have all the demo saddles a man can handle but no women's ones, except some large squishy ones. I have tried a couple of the men's ones, but this is one of few accessories that I feel like women's specific is a better bet. I'll probably buy a few and sell the ones that don't work on ebay :-/

Eden:
    Thanks. I have had multiple fits, my coach has me comfortable and I recently had some tweaking at a professional camp. We've filmed me, pictures, etc etc. The Cobb V Flow was fine for a year - we adjusted my fit and I rode today after 3 days off but I am still hurting and now in new places too.

Perhaps we need to start again, entirely from scratch. It's so bad I don't even want to race!

Thanks for your input!

However, I will see if we can

It's not a southern thing. Most LBSes that I can think of with demo saddles have plenty of mens'--but not women's--saddles.

I need an extremely T-shaped saddle, because I get chafing on the back of my thigh otherwise. How's your core strength? I know you're racing, so probably better than some of us (me included!). I had my fit adjusted to be more aggressive (though not racing-aggressive) and my Jett did horrible things to me, even though I found it pretty comfortable previously. It's getting better as my core strength improves, though.

My next bike is probably going to be a more aggressive one. I worry that I'm not going to be able to get a saddle to work with that--the rest of me is comfortable, but not those in contact with the saddle.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Owlie - to be honest, my core strength is my biggest weakness - so good call thinking of that.

I have been thinking and perhaps my saddle needs have also changed as my body has changed into a racing machine I think perhaps my sit bones are sliding around the seat and that is causing soft tissue pressure. I also looked into some demo programs and even though it looks like competitive cyclist doesn't demo anymore - they have a 60 day no questions asked return policy, so I guess I could test and return, no questions asked!

In the meanwhile I had better get that strength ball out of the cupboard and get working!

I had a Terry Butterfly on my old Cannondale, never had many issues except some usually tolerable chafing in the bits. When I got a new bike the saddle was AWFUL (Specialized Ruby) so I ditched it and bought a Terry Falcon X as I wanted something a little more performance - oriented (and to fix the chafing). It has a bigger cut-out than the butterfly which completely solved the chafing issue but now I've developed these hard lumps in the crease between my thighs and labia. They are hard and don't seem to be fluid filled or infected in any way (not warm or red - in fact they aren't even visible I can just feel them. Oh and no broken skin). I went back to the butterfly for a 45 mile ride this morning and it seemed to be easier on the wierd lumps but it still chafes.

The Falcon is more pear shaped and MUCH more flexible than the Butterfly.

I took another look at the Ruby and I might give it a second try now that I've had the bike fit (of course, changing saddles will change that somewhat) and I'm going back to my bike fitter guy hopefully this week in any case but in the meantime does anyone have any thoughts? I don't mind buying another saddle but I'd like to make this the last one for a while...
    Last edited by CindyK; 09-03-2012 at 12:24 PM. Reason: edited to add Ruby

Those might be ingrown hairs, caused by irritation from the saddle--I get those too, even with the Jett, which is the best saddle that I've tried so far. (No broken skin, just feels bruised and irritated.) They weren't as bad with the Selle Italia I tried, but it's hard to gauge because half the time I was sitting on the nose because of how pear-shaped that saddle was, and because my rides on that were shorter.

What didn't you like about the Ruby? Specialized's offerings are among the most t-shaped out there, at least for commonly available saddles.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...