Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea View Post
    My addition:
    Don't be afraid to try saddles that aren't labeled as women's saddles. Look at size, cutout/no cutout, and shape.
    +1
    In 30 years I have never been able to ride comfortably on any saddle that was labelled as women-specific... I've always found some men saddles that were perfectly comfortable, but never a women one.

Bontrager torture

I've learned from TE that my Bontrager saddle needed to come off my new trek right away! I rode it once (got a little chafed), then tried my husband's B17. I determined I wanted the B68 and ordered it. While I waited, I put the stock Bontrager back on. MORE DISCOMFORT. When I got home, I looked at it closer--there is a bump in the most comfortable spot--a woman's most sensitive spot--CHECK IT OUT. I'm now convinced it's a medieval torture device.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bontrager saddle.jpg 
Views:	834 
Size:	38.0 KB 
ID:	7045  
    "Well-behaved women seldom make history." --Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

'09 Trek WSD 2.1 with a Brooks B-68 saddle
    '11 Trek WSD Madone 5.2 with Brooks B-17

Quote Originally Posted by TxDoc View Post
    +1
    In 30 years I have never been able to ride comfortably on any saddle that was labelled as women-specific... I've always found some men saddles that were perfectly comfortable, but never a women one.
    Do you have a narrow sit bone width (just curious)? When I went into my less-than-beloved LBS, they measured me for a 130 mm Specialized saddle (the narrowest width for women. I sat on that silly oozy contraption. Does that mean they are figuring for the 1-2cm on each side of your sit bones?

What men's saddles have worked best for you?
    Ana
    2009 Lynskey R230
    Trek Mountain Track 850

Quote Originally Posted by Ana View Post
    Do you have a narrow sit bone width (just curious)?
    Yes

What men's saddles have worked best for you?
    Let's see, my all-time favorites are:
    1-SSM Era arrowhead (124mm), LOVE LOVE LOVE that one!!! the Era is my 'travel seat', I take it with me to use with rental/borrowed bikes when I have to travel - just to make sure that my ride is going to be comfortable!
    2-SI SLR gel flow (130mm), love that one too!!!
    3-I just got a SSM aspide carbon superleggera a few days ago (there's a thread here in the favorite saddles with my comments about it), 130mm too, and it's really fantastic (and 120 grams!!!).
    Another saddle I liked (I got to borrow it for a couple of months from a friend) is the AX lightness phoenix (125mm). The weight is like 60 grams or less, great saddle, but it was like $600 so totally out of my saddle budget!

Ooooops! I forgot one of the questions...
    I sat on that silly oozy contraption. Does that mean they are figuring for the 1-2cm on each side of your sit bones?
    In theory when they measure you they should give you one value and one range:
    1-your sitbone width.
    2-the range of saddle width that you may find comfortable given your sitbone width (a little wider, yes).

My sb's measure about 125mm. Love my 132mm Ariones. Found Fizik's "women's performance" saddle, the Vitesse HP, a bit wide, and likewise found BF's old 143mm Specialized Alias too wide in back.

My anatomy does not get on well with cutouts at all. I'm much more comfortable without one...

BF is currently riding a Selle Italia Flite Gelflow (about 130mm). It's ok, I think I'd do better on the SLR if I were going to choose a Selle Italia saddle.
    Last edited by VeloVT; 09-10-2008 at 04:43 AM.

Leveling a Brooks (or similar leather saddle)

Start with a Brooks by leveling the NOSE, not the entire saddle.

The cantle (the bit at the back) will rise slightly higher than the forepart of the saddle.

Don't forget there is a cantle plate under the rear of the saddle. When you sit on the leather, it hammocks under your butt. You end up sinking a bit lower at the slightly higher rear of the saddle, essentially bringing the hammocking bit down to about the same approximate height as the nose, BUT ONLY WHILE YOU ARE ON IT.

If you level the saddle from tip-to-tail instead of at the nose only, you may end up with some pain in front.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Squeaking and creaking Brooks

First check all the obvious suspects: loose clamp, squeaking springs (if you've got 'em), creaking frame joints under the cantle.

Then check the not-so-obvious nose end. All that hardware at the tensioning bolt can creak. And the real odd bit to check is the half-ball and socket joint (yes, there is one) at the very front of the saddle. The easiest way I've found to oil that joint is to squirt oil on it from the back half. That is the cause of probably 99.999% of the creaking of my B67.

Nose creaks can propagate through the frame and sound like they are absolutely positively no-doubt-about-it coming from the back of the frame. Don't forget to check the nose!
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Sitbones

I may need to run to my LBS to get that gel. I have a Terry Butterfly that starts to get uncomfortable after 1 1/2 hours of riding. I assume it will be around 7". I wear a size 12 when I'm in good shape. Right now, I wear a size 14. So I have those good birthing hips. KnottedYet, I'm checking into the Brooks saddles that you list. Those are wider and may work for me.

Pants size and hip width have very little to do with pelvic outlet diameter, it's seems weird but it's true.

There is a thread somewhere with a gajillion different ways to measure your own bones, you don't need to go to an LBS and sit on their butt-o-meter. You can do it yourself with just a tape measure.

Terry saddles are generally on the wide side. Your saddle may be wide enough, but the shape or the padding may be causing you problems.

Before you buy any saddle it's a good idea to get your measurements (try a few ways of measuring) and puzzle out what about your current saddle is causing you the trouble.

Start a thread with your measurements, your current saddle, and the problems you are having; and I *guarantee* you will have several folks chirp up with suggestions to help!

Thanks, I'll do that. In looking at saddles, the wider ones always seemed so soft. I tried one of those and after a half hour (can't remember the brand, I sold it), the softness was getting to me. So I figured all the wide saddles were meant for people who wanted soft, gushy rides. I like a saddle that is a bit firmer. So I figured the medium-wide saddles were best. The Terry feels better than the squishy one. But after a 1 1/2 hours it is not comfortable.

The Brooks saddles interest me. The B-67 is a wider saddle, but a firm one. I'll get those sitbones measured. I'll send the kids outside so they don't think mom is whacked out.

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Just because a saddle is wide doesn't mean it has to be soft and foamy/gel/cushy. Brooks B68=perfect example of a WIDE saddle that is VERY firm with NO padding.
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by pardes View Post

I'm contemplating the Adamo Typhoon as well as the Selle Respiro. That's as far as I've gotten in the search of saddle info here and on the net.

See, I love my Adamo Typhoon. I rarely have soft tissue soreness, and then it's because of the padding of a pair of my shorts, I'm pretty sure. It suits me perfectly, but it doesn't work with the geometry of my bike, a Specialized Ruby Comp, and I get really numb hands after just a few miles. I did 20 miles on Sunday and I could barely operate the brake when I was headed back to my car.

I need a different configuration, I think. The Adamo is moved as far up as it will go, so I can't move it any more to take pressure off my hands (and DH warned that I would get soft tissue soreness because of the move putting more pressure on my girly parts than they get now).

The Terry Butterfly, this is a good one?

Roxy
    Getting in touch with my inner try-athlete.

re: Terry Butterfly
    I bought one, used it only once. Sold it right here on TE.

the answer: not good for ME.
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

Rox, you might not want to give up on the Adamo on your road bike yet. I've found that any new saddle really changes the way I sit on the bike, and thus the fit - even going from a Spec Lithia to the very similar but firmer Jett required a couple of tweaks. So if you really love your Adamo, you might consider springing for a bike fit with that saddle.

Current Terry saddles don't work for me either - they're quite wedge (pear) shaped. They're quality saddles and a lot of people love them, but it all depends on whether it fits.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler