Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Question about College Campus

To disable ads, please log-in.

My Daughter is a new transfer student at a mid sized university in Michigan (yes I'm having separation anxiety!)
    There are not a lot of bike racks at the buildings, and although it is not a big campus, she has quite a haul from her housing because it is farthest away on campus. What would be the best way to go about asking the administration to install more bike racks, since the students are not allowed to chain their bikes to trees and such?
    Also, and this might be a bigger challenge- she has been trying to find a way to haul her myriad of musical instruments on her bike! Try a tenor and alto saxophone! I don't know how one of those tow behind kiddie carts would work because she has to keep her bike on the 2nd floor of her apartment.. She tried to strap one of the instruments on the rack over the back wheel, but that was risky. Any suggestions?

Getting new bike racks is expensive and won't happen quickly enough for your daughter to avail herself of them initially. Best bet is to ask campus security for their recommendations IN WRITING so she has proof she was told where to chain her bike. Best approach with them is from the concerned parent/safety angle...they are much more responsive to that than talking about convenience.

As far as a good hauler...how about an Xtracycle?

Electra Townie 7D

Quote Originally Posted by Pax View Post
    As far as a good hauler...how about an Xtracycle?
    That's what I thought, too, until I read that she has to keep it on the second floor. No way that baby's going up and down steps!

I'm a little worried about her carrying the bike she already has up and down the stairs. But it's kinda moot point anyway, because the campus doesn't have many bike racks near the buildings. I think we found one. It's a school of about 10,000 with around 2,500 living on campus. That's kinda what we found out on a campus tour was that there weren't many bicycles being used because of the size of the campus, but she has to carry those big instruments without use of a car. The music building doesn't have lockers either, not that a Tenor Saxophone would fit in one!

Quote Originally Posted by beccaB View Post
    I'm a little worried about her carrying the bike she already has up and down the stairs. But it's kinda moot point anyway, because the campus doesn't have many bike racks near the buildings. I think we found one. It's a school of about 10,000 with around 2,500 living on campus. That's kinda what we found out on a campus tour was that there weren't many bicycles being used because of the size of the campus, but she has to carry those big instruments without use of a car. The music building doesn't have lockers either, not that a Tenor Saxophone would fit in one!
    That's a little odd... I played in the band all the way through high school and 4 years of college, and every band room I saw had at least cabinets of some sort for students to stash/store their instruments... I remember the year they put me on the baritone sax ;-)

Tom
    former Kappa Kappa Psi band wienie...

Chained to a metal stair rail, possibly at a side entrance? (the bike, not the sax).

At our college, we have a dirth of racks. It really stinks.
    And if we chain our bikes to stairwells, public safety comes and cuts the lock and confiscates the bike (safety issues.)
    I feel bad for the students, and I am freaking out because our office moves across campus in a week and I will lose a primo indoor basement lock up location. *SIGH.*

My feeling is, if a bunch of people ask, eventually, they'll put more racks in.
    I can do five more miles.

Quote Originally Posted by PscyclePath View Post
    That's a little odd... I played in the band all the way through high school and 4 years of college, and every band room I saw had at least cabinets of some sort for students to stash/store their instruments... I remember the year they put me on the baritone sax ;-)

Tom
    former Kappa Kappa Psi band wienie...

That's so funny-she absolutely refuses to play baritone sax.. I think it's because she's heard it played SO badly-with a plastic reed!
    I e-mailed the school and they said they were in the process of deciding where to put some bike racks they had just received! So that's good news at least!

as far as there being cabinets in the band room to store instruments, she needs to have accessibility to her instrument at all times for practice reasons, and I don't know if the band room is left unlocked or not, and she's also OCD about keeping her instrument safe. I got her a dolly, like the one used for hauling luggage, and I'm wondering if my husband can make something to attach it to the bike. Would probably end up looking like something from the Red Green show!

http://www.biketrailershop.com/catal...-pet-c-50.html
    Croozer cargo trailer.

I have one. I love it. It's small, completely collapsable, light-weight and easy to hitch/unhitch and it withstands being hit by idiot car drivers (long story)
    It also comes with a rainproof cover which will protect her instruments.

I use it for grocery store and Home Depot runs. It hauls a ton of stuff and you hardly feel it behind you.
    Last edited by FlyingScot; 08-18-2008 at 01:40 PM.

Ask the music dept. for sure. They probably have practice rooms and instrument storage because kids may not be able to practice in their dorm rooms anyway.