Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Ti vs. Steel for Commuting

To disable ads, please log-in.

Is there any compelling reason to ride a titanium bike for commuting rather than steel?

I ask because I'm thinking seriously about getting a custom bike, and I'm agonizing over material choice. I don't want CF or aluminum; I love the feel of steel. My LBS is giving me a quote on a Seven Alaris, and they *really* are pushing me towards titanium. I've ridden 7,000 miles so far since last September, and they say with that kind of mileage a titanium bike is well worth it.

But I've also had my eye on the Co-Motion Nor'Wester, which looks like a pretty gorgeous steel bike. It would definitely be much cheaper than a similar titanium bike, but my LBS isn't a Co-Motion dealer, so I think I'd have to go through somebody else (sad!). Weight is not that big a deal for me since, as a commuter, I carry loads of stuff with me all the time anyway.

This bike would be both a sturdy workhorse commuter and my bike for the 100-mile rides I've fallen in love with. I'd ride the STP and all the long training rides on it. So for that I'd like as light as possible, although with commuting weight isn't such an issue.

Help!
    Almost a Bike Blog:
    http://kf.rainydaycommunications.net/

Never give up. Never surrender.

Take a look at the Indy Fab Club Racer. Contrary to what the name sounds like, it's designed as a long distance bike and might be just the ticket for what you need.

If you're thinking of doing lots of traveling, it might be worth looking at S&S Couplers (or a folding bike).

CA
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    Quote Originally Posted by kfergos View Post
    Is there any compelling reason to ride a titanium bike for commuting rather than steel?
    Ti Pros
    No rust...ever.
    Lifetime frame.
    No metal fatigue.
    Smooth as silk ride.
    Lighter weight.
    Custom geometry (for the Alaris)

Ti cons
    More expensive.

Swooon...I'd love to have a ti commuter. Some day....the Mudhoney will be mine (or maybe the Muse).
    Last edited by 7rider; 08-18-2008 at 05:48 AM.
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

Quote Originally Posted by CA_in_NC View Post
    Take a look at the Indy Fab Club Racer. Contrary to what the name sounds like, it's designed as a long distance bike and might be just the ticket for what you need.

If you're thinking of doing lots of traveling, it might be worth looking at S&S Couplers (or a folding bike).

CA
    I actually got a quote on this one, but when I talked to the dealer, they said the Club Racer was a lot like the Nor'Wester, except the Nor'Wester is a little cheaper. However, the Club Racer is on my list too.

Ti Pros
    No rust...ever.
    Lifetime frame.
    No metal fatigue.
    Smooth as silk ride.
    Lighter weight.
    Custom geometry (for the Alaris)

Ti cons
    More expensive.
    I'm a very light person (108 - 112 lbs), so metal fatigue isn't an issue. Also wouldn't a custom steel frame be a lifetime frame? How does the ti feel compared to steel?
    Almost a Bike Blog:
    http://kf.rainydaycommunications.net/

Never give up. Never surrender.

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    i like steel, so my opinion is prejudiced.

However- I'd say that if you are looking for speedy rides and can afford it, then titanium is a great pick. Also great for hilly but shorter rides. I'd love a titanium short-ride-fasty-bike.

If you want comfort for long distance riding, then I would pick steel. Others would not.
    Not saying Ti is not comfortable- but I've heard people say both- that titanium was comfortable and that it was harsh feeling. Most people do find steel a comfy ride but heavier.
    We have a wealthy friend who has not one but two titanium Sevens, both custom made for him. Unlike us, he likes to ride fast and mash up the hills like a demon. His Sevens are gorgeous bikes. One he has loaded with racks and uses as a grocery bike (!!) . He is not much taller than me, and the other day he was curious about my new steel Luna road bike and asked if he could ride it around the block a few times. When he came back he said that compared to his Sevens, my bike felt really stable as compared to his twitchy bikes, and also he said it felt like riding on velvet and than his bikes felt way harsher and bumpy riding. He's the kind of guy who never says things 'just to be nice'. But he loves to ride fast and he'll be happy staying with his ti bikes.

One other minor thing to consider is that ti bikes cost way more and you need to make sure they are really in a safe place if you use them for commuting, so they don't get stolen.
    Is there any way you could go for a LONG test ride on a titanium, like 30 miles or so?
    Last edited by BleeckerSt_Girl; 08-18-2008 at 05:57 AM.
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by kfergos View Post
    I'm a very light person (108 - 112 lbs), so metal fatigue isn't an issue. Also wouldn't a custom steel frame be a lifetime frame? How does the ti feel compared to steel?
    Lifetime warranty, Yes. Last a lifetime. Maybe. Probably, with a high-quality steel frame (such as what you are considering).

A ti bike from Seven is infinitely customizeable. You can't really say "How does ti feel?" when it comes to a Seven. The question is: How will YOUR ti bike feel?? If you want it stiff and fast for racing, they can do that. If you want is soft and comfortable, they can do that, too.

this has been covered at some length, but the "feel" of a bike often has more to do with frame geometry and components (wheels) than materials.

I second the concern about corrosivity of steel. if I were looking for a bike for commuting I would want something bulletproof and would not want to worry about buffing out and sealing every scratch.
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

Quote Originally Posted by BleeckerSt_Girl View Post
    Most people do find steel a comfy ride but heavier.
    As was said, it's in the tube set and the geometry. I think steel has an equal opportunity to be harsher and lighter than ti. I'll take my ti Spectrum for long rides over one particular steel bike in my stables at any time but I also have a Mercian that is just as comfortable as the ti Spectrum. I don't think there is any "most people" to be said about any material.

Hubby has a Co-motion Nor'wester on order for long road rides into the boonies. He's also working with Jennifer Green of www.headbadges.com to get a custom headbadge which will then be available to anyone who wants one. Just a tidbit of info on Co-motion.

Sometimes, it just comes down to the aesthetics that you want.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

Support your local bikesmiths. Buy a Seven

I looked at the one you were looking at, do you load much on yours? It's at the end of the spectrum for light touring. I like beefier bikes for commuting, I guess because I mtn bike rather than road bike...

And Seven has better color choices.

And maybe you can witness the birth of your new bike? That would be, in my opinion, the most awesome thing ever...

Wow, I was just thinking about this exact question yesterday.

I ride a 2004 Terry Classic for my commuter and it's 531 Reynolds steel. It's a 19" and set up in the exact same cockpit/configuration as my 'go fast' bike. My 'go fast' bike is a 19" 2005 Terry Isis - Titanium (the only year they made the Isis in Titanium). Both bikes have the same saddle and handlebars. The Classic has lower level componentry, gatorskin tires and touring grade wheels. Both bikes will hold racks and fenders.

My commute is 19 miles each way. This has lately been my only biking. Yesterday, I got out for a 25 mile ride with H and I took my Isis for the first time in MONTHS. It felt the exact same as my commuter as far as my position/comfort - but MAN...was it smooth! It was also much lighter (lighter wheels, no rack, Ti vs steel, etc)...but the part I noticed was that it felt like the road was glass. If steel is 'real'...Ti is BUTTER.

Since then, I have been debating using the Isis as my commuter. I figure it may be worth it since it's the only riding I get to do these days and there are some rough roads I commute on. My only 'fear' is leaving this lovely Ti bike locked to a bike rack at work. It's fairly secure - but I seriously doubt that anyone has ever tempted fate quite that much.

If you have a secure place for it, I'd go with Ti. Seriously - I was amazed at the difference all over again this weekend!

Edited to add: One other thing - the tires/wheels on my Isis should have left me feeling more of the road imperfections than the tires/wheels on my Classic. The fact that is was smoother meant that the difference was truly in the frame. That said, the right wheels/tires can make a HUGE difference in bike feel, too.
    Last edited by GLC1968; 08-18-2008 at 10:13 AM.
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

One he has loaded with racks and uses as a grocery bike (!!)
    That's how I will know when I have arrived. I will have a ti bike for grocery shopping and I'll leave it on the bike rack without a lock or a care in the world.

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Quote Originally Posted by amy View Post
    That's how I will know when I have arrived. I will have a ti bike for grocery shopping and I'll leave it on the bike rack without a lock or a care in the world.
    That's exactly what he does. He leans his "Grocery Seven" against the building and just goes in the cafe for breakfast where he can't even see it from the window. Yikes.
    Even though we don't live in a high crime town, bike do get stolen here from time to time and I can't even IMAGINE doing this!!!

I had an awful dream 2 nights ago about my bike getting stolen.
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Wow! Unbelievable. Maybe because he's just so bold about it, people think it's some kind of trick and stay away??

I had an awful dream 2 nights ago about my bike getting stolen.
    Okay...blatant thread hijack for just a moment....
    This is soo strange! I just had a dream last night that my bike disappeared. It woke me up, I was so stressed out.

I have a friend whose dad was a metallurgist for Boeing. He studied metal failure (got sent to all kinds of airplane crash sites to look at what happened to the metal)

He calls ti "the perfect metal."
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson