Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Question Ti vs. Steel for Commuting

Is there any compelling reason to ride a titanium bike for commuting rather than steel?

I ask because I'm thinking seriously about getting a custom bike, and I'm agonizing over material choice. I don't want CF or aluminum; I love the feel of steel. My LBS is giving me a quote on a Seven Alaris, and they *really* are pushing me towards titanium. I've ridden 7,000 miles so far since last September, and they say with that kind of mileage a titanium bike is well worth it.

But I've also had my eye on the Co-Motion Nor'Wester, which looks like a pretty gorgeous steel bike. It would definitely be much cheaper than a similar titanium bike, but my LBS isn't a Co-Motion dealer, so I think I'd have to go through somebody else (sad!). Weight is not that big a deal for me since, as a commuter, I carry loads of stuff with me all the time anyway.

This bike would be both a sturdy workhorse commuter and my bike for the 100-mile rides I've fallen in love with. I'd ride the STP and all the long training rides on it. So for that I'd like as light as possible, although with commuting weight isn't such an issue.

Help!
    Almost a Bike Blog:
    http://kf.rainydaycommunications.net/

Never give up. Never surrender.

Take a look at the Indy Fab Club Racer. Contrary to what the name sounds like, it's designed as a long distance bike and might be just the ticket for what you need.

If you're thinking of doing lots of traveling, it might be worth looking at S&S Couplers (or a folding bike).

CA
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Quote Originally Posted by CA_in_NC View Post
    Take a look at the Indy Fab Club Racer. Contrary to what the name sounds like, it's designed as a long distance bike and might be just the ticket for what you need.

If you're thinking of doing lots of traveling, it might be worth looking at S&S Couplers (or a folding bike).

CA
    I actually got a quote on this one, but when I talked to the dealer, they said the Club Racer was a lot like the Nor'Wester, except the Nor'Wester is a little cheaper. However, the Club Racer is on my list too.

Ti Pros
    No rust...ever.
    Lifetime frame.
    No metal fatigue.
    Smooth as silk ride.
    Lighter weight.
    Custom geometry (for the Alaris)

Ti cons
    More expensive.
    I'm a very light person (108 - 112 lbs), so metal fatigue isn't an issue. Also wouldn't a custom steel frame be a lifetime frame? How does the ti feel compared to steel?
    Almost a Bike Blog:

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    Quote Originally Posted by kfergos View Post
    I'm a very light person (108 - 112 lbs), so metal fatigue isn't an issue. Also wouldn't a custom steel frame be a lifetime frame? How does the ti feel compared to steel?
    Lifetime warranty, Yes. Last a lifetime. Maybe. Probably, with a high-quality steel frame (such as what you are considering).

A ti bike from Seven is infinitely customizeable. You can't really say "How does ti feel?" when it comes to a Seven. The question is: How will YOUR ti bike feel?? If you want it stiff and fast for racing, they can do that. If you want is soft and comfortable, they can do that, too.
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

this has been covered at some length, but the "feel" of a bike often has more to do with frame geometry and components (wheels) than materials.

I second the concern about corrosivity of steel. if I were looking for a bike for commuting I would want something bulletproof and would not want to worry about buffing out and sealing every scratch.
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

I actually got a quote on this one, but when I talked to the dealer, they said the Club Racer was a lot like the Nor'Wester, except the Nor'Wester is a little cheaper. However, the Club Racer is on my list too.
    Hmmm...good to know. I don't have a local dealer for Indy fab, so I can't get prices. I'm starting to think about the same type of bike - and am going through much the same debate. I do know that Indy Fab will make the Club Racer in Ti (though I really don't want to think about how much it would cost). Out of curiosity, have you looked at the Seven Muse? I know if can be built up lighter, as more of a century bike. Just wondering

Of course, I'll be saving up for a while for any of the above.

CA
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Test Ride Report

My LBS loaned me an amazing bike to test-ride the feel of titanium: the Seven Elium SG (which frame starts at $4,000; the entire bike I'm considering would cost ~$4,200) with Dura-Ace components, perfectly adjusted to my size based on my fit specs.

Wow.

I spent the whole time trying to think of superlatives grand enough to cover the experience, but although I'm a writer for a living, I still failed. The bike practically climbed hills for me, smoothed out bumps, cornered tightly, and ate up the miles seamlessly. *Swoon* I practically cried when I returned it to the shop. Now to convince the dh that I need a similar (albeit significantly cheaper) steed myself...

Question for those of you with custom bikes: Did you find the price tended to increment up as you designed the bike, or was the estimate close to your ultimate price? Also, what should I ask the bike shop before actually committing?
    Last edited by kfergos; 08-23-2008 at 12:40 PM.
    Almost a Bike Blog:

Is it common for Seven dealers to let you test ride a bicycle? Just curious. I was thinking about wandering over to my local Seven authorized dealer.... I've had intense post-ride headaches and I'm wondering whether it's from the rough ride on my aluminum Lemond Tourmalet or not I'm so sad because I love my bike and I love cycling but my last headache was so bad, I cringe when I think about riding
    Ana
    2009 Lynskey R230
    Trek Mountain Track 850

Question for those of you with custom bikes: Did you find the price tended to increment up as you designed the bike, or was the estimate close to your ultimate price?
    I have a custom IndyFab Ti Crown Jewel (complete with sterling silver headbadge) and love every inch of her! I love her so much I did not even get her painted (saved $$); accordingly, her name is Godiva 'cause she is naked, except for some strategically placed decals....

Before, I had a steel bike & the ride was great though the bike did not fit me. When I got the new bike, the ride was so amazing I could not believe it. Twitchy? Yes, if I want her to be. Like butter? You bet! I don't have to worry about rust; I don't have to worry about scratching the paint; I only have to worry about her leaving me unexpectedly. Fortunately, that hasn't happened so far. I travel with this bike and I ride at home with this bike. As of now, it is the only bike in my stable and I see no reason to have another. In contrast, my DH has four.... And he's not even here to ride them!

I commute on my bike, though not regularly for a variety of reasons (mainly because I seldom can stay at my office all day but must travel to schools throughout our district), I ride centuries on her and I ride short, fast rides. She is great and I could not ask any more of a bike.

To answer your original question, no, the price of the bike did not inch up because of the design. There were add-ons (the headbadge, for one) that added to the price but they were like options when ordering a car. I found that IF (because of my LBS) was a fabulous place to have a custom bike built. And Ti is the way to go! The $4200 price tag does not sound out of line to me. But then, if you knew what I spent on mine (not just from IF, but on upgrades to the wheels, drivetrain, etc.) you wouldn't believe it.
    "When I'm on my bike I forget about things like age. I just have fun." Kathy Sessler

2006 Independent Fabrication Custom Ti Crown Jewel (Road, though she has been known to go just about anywhere)/Specialized Jett

Oooo...the Elium is a swoon-inducing bike! I don't think I'd be brave enough (or rich enough) to have one built as my commuter, but it is a glorious road bike. DH actually pushed lightly for me to get an Elium when I got my custom Seven...but I "settled" for the ID8!

Question for those of you with custom bikes: Did you find the price tended to increment up as you designed the bike, or was the estimate close to your ultimate price? Also, what should I ask the bike shop before actually committing?
    I had a good idea of what I wanted on my bike, component wise, before I ordered. So my LBS quoted me an "out the door" price for the built up bike. I guess if I varied from that list, we'd discuss changes in the price, but there was no change in the ultimate price when I picked it up.

From Ana: Is it common for Seven dealers to let you test ride a bicycle? Just curious.

Some shops carry a few stock Sevens on hand for demo purposes. Sizes are limited, of course. Best to check with your shop. Of course..post-ride headaches could be a function of how hard you push yourself compared to how you are eating and drinking on the bike (or not). Check the nutrition forum, and search on "headaches".

Is there any compelling reason to ride a titanium bike for commuting rather than steel?
    Ti Pros
    No rust...ever.
    Lifetime frame.
    No metal fatigue.
    Smooth as silk ride.
    Lighter weight.
    Custom geometry (for the Alaris)

Ti cons
    More expensive.

Swooon...I'd love to have a ti commuter. Some day....the Mudhoney will be mine (or maybe the Muse).
    Last edited by 7rider; 08-18-2008 at 05:48 AM.

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    i like steel, so my opinion is prejudiced.

However- I'd say that if you are looking for speedy rides and can afford it, then titanium is a great pick. Also great for hilly but shorter rides. I'd love a titanium short-ride-fasty-bike.

If you want comfort for long distance riding, then I would pick steel. Others would not.
    Not saying Ti is not comfortable- but I've heard people say both- that titanium was comfortable and that it was harsh feeling. Most people do find steel a comfy ride but heavier.
    We have a wealthy friend who has not one but two titanium Sevens, both custom made for him. Unlike us, he likes to ride fast and mash up the hills like a demon. His Sevens are gorgeous bikes. One he has loaded with racks and uses as a grocery bike (!!) . He is not much taller than me, and the other day he was curious about my new steel Luna road bike and asked if he could ride it around the block a few times. When he came back he said that compared to his Sevens, my bike felt really stable as compared to his twitchy bikes, and also he said it felt like riding on velvet and than his bikes felt way harsher and bumpy riding. He's the kind of guy who never says things 'just to be nice'. But he loves to ride fast and he'll be happy staying with his ti bikes.

One other minor thing to consider is that ti bikes cost way more and you need to make sure they are really in a safe place if you use them for commuting, so they don't get stolen.
    Is there any way you could go for a LONG test ride on a titanium, like 30 miles or so?
    Last edited by BleeckerSt_Girl; 08-18-2008 at 05:57 AM.
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by BleeckerSt_Girl View Post
    Most people do find steel a comfy ride but heavier.
    As was said, it's in the tube set and the geometry. I think steel has an equal opportunity to be harsher and lighter than ti. I'll take my ti Spectrum for long rides over one particular steel bike in my stables at any time but I also have a Mercian that is just as comfortable as the ti Spectrum. I don't think there is any "most people" to be said about any material.

Hubby has a Co-motion Nor'wester on order for long road rides into the boonies. He's also working with Jennifer Green of www.headbadges.com to get a custom headbadge which will then be available to anyone who wants one. Just a tidbit of info on Co-motion.

Sometimes, it just comes down to the aesthetics that you want.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

Quote Originally Posted by BleeckerSt_Girl View Post
    One he has loaded with racks and uses as a grocery bike (!!)
    That's how I will know when I have arrived. I will have a ti bike for grocery shopping and I'll leave it on the bike rack without a lock or a care in the world.

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Quote Originally Posted by amy View Post
    That's how I will know when I have arrived. I will have a ti bike for grocery shopping and I'll leave it on the bike rack without a lock or a care in the world.
    That's exactly what he does. He leans his "Grocery Seven" against the building and just goes in the cafe for breakfast where he can't even see it from the window. Yikes.
    Even though we don't live in a high crime town, bike do get stolen here from time to time and I can't even IMAGINE doing this!!!

I had an awful dream 2 nights ago about my bike getting stolen.
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^