Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Question Buying first bike

To disable ads, please log-in.

I am new to cycling and want to purchase a good quality bike to ride on our Rails to Trails where I live. I am having a hard time decicing what bike to get. I don't want to do much off road right now but may get into that later. I have looked at both Trek and Giant and like things about both of them. I would like recommendations on which brand would be my best buy. I am an a limited budget and would like to stay under 500. Thanks!

buying a bike

the best thing to do is to test ride them both. i assume this is a mountain bike type bike. Look at frame size. you should have at least 1-2 inches of clearance between your crotch and your frame. When you sit on the bike, your arms and back should be about 90 degree angle, and you should be able to block the front axel with your handlebar. Look at the components. for 500$ you won't be getting much, but see how much Shimano LX components are on each bike. Look at the weight of each bike. even a couple of pounds will make a HUGE difference on a ride believe it or now. Also, does one bike have disk brakes? for one it will make the bike heavier, and 2, i doubt you really need them, unless you are doing some narly freeride or downhilling. Are they from two difference shops? what type of maintenance deals do each provide? (for example, mine does a basic one for free every year).

that's all i can think of.

good luck!

Han

Have you looked at Raleigh?...

I have a Raleigh M60 mountain bike that was a graduation present - my husband spent just under $500 for it.

It has a front suspension fork, regular (non-disk) brakes....

I use it for all types of riding - flat, wide trails; some technical (very beginner) mtb/singletrak trails; road riding (with different tires)....
    All who joy would win must share it -- happiness was born a twin. (Byron)