Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ireland bike tour

To disable ads, please log-in.

Does anyone have an opinion as to which part of Ireland would be the best for someone who's never been there? I'm thinking about using this tour company; the first eight tours are possibilities. I want to see the coastline and drink beer.

I'll do some research, too, but if anyone knows Ireland, I'd love to know what you think.

I'm jealous

I think Denise Goldberg did a tour of Ireland - and I've read several other Crazy Guy journals. I'd love to hear what you find out

CA
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Looking forward to lurking on the responses on this thread. We're off to do a hiking trip to Ireland in September--toying with renting a bike somewhere along the way just to test the waters, so to speak. I haven't been before so, for now, I'm pretty ignorant.

As I was researching, I found this company ( http://www.irondonkey.com/ ) and figured I had to give them a little bit of a chance if I ever went by bike just because the company name, for me, is so appropriate--I just plod along on my bike; modern day travel by donkey.

I'm pretty sure you'll be able get your beer needs met just about anywhere on the island.

I have been to Ireland about six times....usually buying horses to import home. I have been in most of the remote parts, except the north (I have only been there once). IT IS SO COOL!!!!!
    Make sure you stay in some of the lovely bed and breakfasts...my FAVORITES are:
    BALLYVOLANE HOUSE....they have a great fat cat. And I don't like cats. But I liked this one.
    Kilmokea house in Wexford...very nice also. A ways out of the way.
    Ashley Park House in Tipperary

For a special occasion stay in Adare castle in Adare. It is a hotel but really fun...we had a lovely meal there, and, of course, lots of alcohol.

Also, in Skerries, which is just north of dublin, go to the RED BANK. It has a very highly rated restaurant and a small hotel there. I have also eaten in several of the restaurants in the town of Skerries, and they are all excellent.
    I stay in Skerries rather than in Dublin town, and drive (yes, I drive there) into Dublin if I HAVE to. St. Stephens green and such are nice to see, but the countryside is WAY, WAY better.

I can't remember where I was where I had breakfast in a small pub...where the sign outside said "McMurtry's Pub, Restaurant, and Undertaker". It may have been in Claire.

Make SURE you drive/bike whatever through the Slieve Bloom "mountains"...there is another great b/b there called the Ardmore County house...I had the BEST potatoes there...and while we ate, a table full of Irish girls on holiday begged us to go out dancing, and I am sure, drinking with them as their American friends, but we had just come off the plane and gone straight to horse shopping and were totally, as they say, "knackered."

Be aware that the Irish drive like nothing on earth. My knuckles are white just thinking about it...I have driven every time there, one time drove a "minibus" with several clients in it, standard shift no less, and returned the thing with no fewer than six new dents in it, only to have the attendant say, "Ah, sure, you hardly used the thing." One of the dents came getting out of the rental lot under his direction.

There is so much to do that is not crowded and touristy, and the people are so, so nice. I went right after 9-11 that year to buy three horses and so many people came up to me and asked me if I had been able to see the devestaion from Texas.

I could go on all day. At one yard where I was looking at horses I went through the yard gate out into the arena and was met with the most breathtaking view. Here in the US we would have built a pullout or observation deck, but this was in a modest home's back yard. It was totally, totally terrific.

Brave driving, use your horn a lot, and make sure to stay at Ballyvolane house.

Thanks for all the info, kenyonchris! I'll have to get out a map and figure out which of their tours go to the areas you suggested. It sounds beautiful...I can't wait to plan a trip.

Quote Originally Posted by divingbiker View Post
    Does anyone have an opinion as to which part of Ireland would be the best for someone who's never been there? I'm thinking about using this tour company; the first eight tours are possibilities. I want to see the coastline and drink beer.

I'll do some research, too, but if anyone knows Ireland, I'd love to know what you think.
    You can't go too wrong in Ireland. It's a beautiful country throughout and the people are simply lovely. Some of the areas covered in the tours get a greater tourist "onslaught" in the summer than others. The Ring of Kerry stands out in my mind in that regard. I don't know what kind of roads they'll have you travel on but that would be a consideration for me. I have been to both Cork and Galway and loved them. Kinsale is supposed to a be a nice town as well. Northern Ireland is supposed to be just beautiful, too, and you might run into fewer crowds.

Gosh, I'm not being much help. Again, you can't really go wrong. You might go to a book store/library and peruse some guide books to see what appeals to you. You might also talk to the tour company about whether any of the routes are more crowded than others or offer better or worse weather. The one thing I'd mention is that Ireland generally has mild weather, but it can be cool and rainy just about any time of year--even in the summer. Dress accordingly!

Please, please, please give us a trip report if and when you go!
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Hi!

It really depends what you want to do. I would highly recommend that you do the Ring of Kerry on your bike, as it is really amazing!
    You might also like Waterford and Tipperrarry,and the Comeragh mountains, home of the great Sean Kelly.

I live in Dublin and my hilly spins take place in the Dublin and Wicklow mountains, which I enjoy however I would not recommend cycling in Dublin as the best irish cycling experience, far from it. You really have to go to the country side.

As for the majority of irish roads, be prepared for major pot holes and uneven surfaces throughout the country
    ~ Cycling is the sport of gods ~

Quote Originally Posted by Caroline View Post
    I would highly recommend that you do the Ring of Kerry on your bike, as it is really amazing!
    Ring of Kerry is one of the options that my friend who may go with me wants to do, so that will move to the top of the list! Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
    As I was researching, I found this company ( http://www.irondonkey.com/ ) and figured I had to give them a little bit of a chance if I ever went by bike just because the company name, for me, is so appropriate--I just plod along on my bike; modern day travel by donkey.
    I used this company for a self-guided tour last summer and it was great. I did a week-long tour in County Clare. I met people who were doing guided tours through them and they also seemed very happy with the company.

Divingbiker, did you ever go?

I'm thinking about doing an Ireland biking trip myself. Does anyone know of any good century rides in the country this summer?

Organized and supported centuries or just routes?
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.

I was in Ireland this summer, mainly for music (heavenly, and long-anticipated). However, I did a little cycling. Kerry was gorgeous, and I rented a bike rode the Slea Head road, a loop from Dingle. I'm sure the Ring of Kerry would be equally lovely, and met some people who had spent 5 days touring there.

I spent 5 days in Clare, and there is actually a network of cycling routes, including areas in the Burren, Cliffs of Moher etc, so people might actually expect to see cyclists in the area. I rode a borrowed Dahon on two 15-20 mile routes in that area, and felt comfortable, even though there were no bike lanes. Maybe I was just a bit lucky....

I didn't visit the Wicklow Mountains but have heard they are pretty.

Feel free to PM me if you have more questions.

Sharon
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

Any further feedback on IronDonkey tours? I'm ready to push submit - but am a bit scared, as I would be touring with a group - yet by myself. Anyone care to give me the push?

Go- it's gorgeous country, the people are friendly, and the music is amazing! I'd go back to Ireland in a heartbeat!

Let us know what you decide!
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143