Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

(Hair) Health Related Issue

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi everyone -
    I am not sure if this is in the right category, but it is health realted - albeit my hair's health. I have long hair, goes about 1-2 inches past my bra strap (when I wear one ) hee hee. Anyway, it's fairly fine, but I have a lot of it - and it's slightly wavy. Never-the-less, it's a pain in the *** to wash. My problem is that after a good bike ride, and I'm riding practically everyday, my hair is soaked with sweat - causing me to have to wash it again. If I don't, it just gets crusty. Which is just gross!

What do you other long-hairs do? Do you wash everyday? Does anyone have a good "dry clean shampoo (a spray that refreshes your hair without washing it) they can recommend? I spent a lot of money on one from Aveda and it just makes my hair oily. It's very frustrating. I have basically just stopped brushing my hair all together. I just get out of the shower and let it dry without combing it or anything. Ends up looking kinda sloppy, but....

what to do?

***It's very possible that I should just stop being so shallow as to even start a thread like this in the Health Related Issues category. Hmmm......
    Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
    John Lennon, "Beautiful Boy"

When I had long hair (I don't anymore), I did have to wash after riding. I sweat. A lot. And it got caked with salt. What about rinsing it and not shampooing it? Or using conditioner only? Both are ideas that became popular after I chopped mine off

CA
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    Short hair is freedom!

But if you stay long, just rinse and condition. That used to work for me when I had long hair (but my hair never looked like magazine long hair, so I chopped it).

All I have to say is the reason I read this was because I thought there was a health issue involved, like losing your hair.
    I have no advice. But I am glad you're not losing your hair.
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

I have definitely been thinking of cutting it, but I am getting married in October so I don't want to do anything drastic.

I will try to rinse and condition, but when I don't shampoo - my scalp feels icky.

Lastly - I don't like spending a long time on my hair when getting ready for work - so the long hair works as I can put it in a ponytail. I cut 18 inches off 4 years ago and had a really cute bob, which started annoying me 6 months later. My hair has a strange wave to it, causing it to stick out in many directions unless there is some length to weigh it down. It's like all of a sudden I have a head full of cow-licks (sp? - what a strange word, cow-lick - sounds gross).
    Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
    John Lennon, "Beautiful Boy"

Yup I cut mine two days ago. Couldn't take it any longer.l...literally.

My boys like to watch mike the dirty job guy. And he did an episode a little while back on an actual dirt shampoo. what the heck was the name of that stuff.......terra somthin'?
    there won't be any yucky sulphides in it like the slf family and probably no glycerin.....
    I have no idea...the boys thought it looked cool though.

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Hey Cherinyc-

Nice to see you back! Long time!
    Lisa -S.H.
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

We must be twin sisters, cherinyc.

I had my hair at shoulder length, I was quite sick of it, it was a big mass and a lot of trouble.

Got a shorter bob cut. It was GREAT for about 12 hours and now it's a mess. I can sort of make something out of the sides (if I spend about 20 minutes blowdrying it) but the back is just poking out in all directions. If I don't blowdry it, the whole thing pokes out everywhere. The only thing I can do to ease the mental pain I have when I look at myself is wear a headband.

Not a happy camper. I got this haircut for convenience.

Bottom line is: for me, I think a square cut a bit below my jawline is the way to go for convenience. This doesn't solve your sweat problem... Maybe hope for some cooler days?

Sorry for venting.

When my hair was long I would do my post-run or post-ride shower and try to keep the shampoo just on my head. Rinsed that off, then put some of Aveda's very heavy paste conditioner on the ends of my hair (only the ends!) and rinse that off.

My morning shampoo I did as normal: shampoo everything and a light conditioner on everything.

(I'm a huge sweat producer, and really need those showers and soap!)
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

I just try to plan my showers so they follow my work outs/rides, and before I have to go somewhere. If I'm just hanging out at the house and the ride is in the evening, I'll let my hair dry and take a shower in the morning. My hair doesn't have to look good for hanging out at the house.

It gets really wet in a pony tail and won't dry for a long long time.

Karen

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    I guess it depends on your hair texture and how it will hold under daily shampooing and washing.

I have had short hair since I was 19. Before it was approx. your length, Cheryl. No regrets...30 yrs. later.

I wash my hair daily ..in evening plus shower.

However before cycling years, I used to wash it early morning daily before going to work. But now have to reverse it for evening, because of exercise during day..and certainly I can't get up any earlier than 4:30 am (!) to get ready for my long commute..that's why I MUST do whatever showering previous evening.

I sweat moderately, not as heavy as other people but my hair in the past and less so now, does have enough natural oils to still withstand gentle, but daily sudsy shampoos daily at this phase in my life.

I have fine but lots of hair that still shines naturally with ordinary daily shampooing. I never have to use hair conditioners..it makes my hair dead flat and oily.

I'm intrigued by these stories of caky long hair from sweaty exercise. So glad I have short hair. Realistically, methinks most short haircuts, meaning chin length and shorter do require maintenance haircuts every few months for care control and chic visual appeal. It's a price I willingly pay since I'm not into facials, pedicures, manicures or much makeup at all.
    Last edited by shootingstar; 08-13-2008 at 09:49 PM.

Jolt is offline Dodging the potholes...
    I would think just rinsing it on days when you don't want to use shampoo would be fine--I have similar-length hair and that works well for me (shampooing every day would be too much).
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

I sweat like crazy and sometimes end up shampooing 2 times a day depending on what I do. My hair is short, though, but it's in great shape. I find using the right products helps a lot. Right now I'm using Bumble and Bumble Gentle Shampoo and conditioner.
    If I am riding a little later in the day and have nothing else before I go, I just wet my hair and put gel in it before I ride.

I have fine, thick, wavy hair too. It was long until about a month ago but now it's in a bob as I'm growing out to my natural color.

I often do the rinse only thing and then follow with a spray-in conditioner.

Something I haven't tried lately, but we all used to do years ago, was use baby powder. Sprinkle it on, brush it out. Seems to take all the icky stuff with it.

I may try it again next time.