Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mirrors

Mirrors

To disable ads, please log-in.

Since 90% of my riding is on roads and highways, I have a handle bar mirror on my bike. I really like being able to see what's coming up behind me. DH has decided he wants one too. Since we are getting another one, I would love some input. Mirrors on the helmet vs. handle bars. I do have blind spots in the current mirror mostly caused by my elbow! Any opinions would be greatly appreicated. BikerHen

I thought it might be a good idea to have a mirror for my road rides, so I bought the kind that hook onto your glasses. I've only tried it twice, and maybe didn't give it enough time. I kept having to move my head around to different angles to see what I wanted to see behind me. I never felt secure enough in that tiny reflection that I could rely on it to make any moves. So, I put it aside and continue to rely on my ears and a glance over the shoulder.

I will be interested to hear others' reports of their experiences with mirrors. Maybe I chose the wrong kind, or didn't give it enough time.

I started using the glasses type mirrors a few months ago. It took some getting used to, but now that I've been riding with them a while, its second nature to use them. I even catch myself looking up and to the left before crossing the street when I'm walking my dog . I chose the eyeglass style mirror because I have a couple of bikes and a tandem that I ride on--I only need one this way.

Bikejournal.com

You can also go over to bikejournal.com and type mirrors in the search box....there was just a Huge thread going over there recently about mirrors, different types, what ppl use or don't use and why or why not, etc.

(of course while you're There - if you're so inclined of course - you could join the TE club over there and start logging your miles! it's free although a minor $10 donation is appreciated but Not Required to help Slantz keep it up and running )
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming: "Yeah Baby! What a Ride!"

Corsair, you're shameless!!

I've been using the handlebar mirror on my hybrid with straight-across bar and I am totally dependent on it (I'm not good at the quick swivel of the head back - my wheel follows my head direction!) Now that I have a road bike, I'm going to give the helmet mirror a go. It's got to be safer than turning my head!!!

i'm thinkin' corsair REALLY scored when she was a kid and selling girl scout cookies... or candy bars... or magazines...

or were you that girl at the fair sellin' kisses, hmmmm
    no regrets!

My ride: 2003 Specialized Allez Comp - zebra (men's 52cm), Speedplay X5 pedals, Koobi Au Enduro saddle

Spazzdog Ink Gallery
    http://www.printroom.com/pro/gratcliff

Quote Originally Posted by spazzdog
    i'm thinkin' corsair REALLY scored when she was a kid and selling girl scout cookies... or candy bars... or magazines...

or were you that girl at the fair sellin' kisses, hmmmm
    actually I was the girl at the fair under the bleachers doing things my momma told me good girls didn't do!
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming: "Yeah Baby! What a Ride!"

guess I was just askin for that one....

eh-hmmm, and now back to "Mirrors":

I don't use on myself. I listen and occasionally glance over my shoulder.

spazz (promising to be a good dog for a few minutes)
    no regrets!

My ride: 2003 Specialized Allez Comp - zebra (men's 52cm), Speedplay X5 pedals, Koobi Au Enduro saddle

Spazzdog Ink Gallery
    http://www.printroom.com/pro/gratcliff

Talking Lol!

Quote Originally Posted by CorsairMac
    actually I was the girl at the fair under the bleachers doing things my momma told me good girls didn't do!
    Oh my gosh...had me laugh'n on that one...
    reminded me of those times I wasn't a good girl like mama wanted.
    I had other ideas of fun too! but not doing things under bleachers...I chose a umm ....ummm car Please don't tell my mama though....she is best to think that I was a lil angel. Besides I am now and that is what matters...right???? shhhhhh....please...don't.....shhhh...

On with the mirror discussion....
    that is a tough one...do I want to have something impaling me if I were to land on my bike mirror during a fall? or will the mirror on the helmet be safe if I do land on my head in someway? fearful questions, I don't have one yet and will watch this thread to see if someone can ease me on either.
    Last edited by AutumnBreez; 04-22-2005 at 03:44 PM.
    Holistic Health Coach and Licensed Massage Therapist
    http://mandalatree.healthcoach.integ...nutrition.com/

My Mirror

I always likes having a handlebar mirror on my mountian bike. A couple of weeks ago when I got my new Bianchi road bike with drop bars I couldn't figure out what to do about a mirror. I really missed not having one. I did a search on this TE forum on mirrors and found that a lot of people suggested the Take-a-Look mirror that can be mounted on glasses or on a helmet. I purchased one but the weather has taken a turn for the worse here in MI and I haven't had a chance to try it out. They can be ordered for under $20.00 right here on the TE website. I'll let you how I like it if it ever warms up again!

Quote Originally Posted by SandyLS
    I did a search on this TE forum on mirrors and found that a lot of people suggested the Take-a-Look mirror that can be mounted on glasses or on a helmet...They can be ordered for under $20.00 right here on the TE website.
    Nice job, SandyLS. Used the Search function AND gave a plug for TE!

Now a word from our sponsor!
    http://www.teamestrogen.com/products.asp?pID=4043

Adventure Girl- HOW DID YOU KNOW? That's the very mirror I use! Brilliant, absolutely BRILLIANT!

This mirror can be used either on your glasses or on your helmet. I use it on my glasses and find it quite helpful. Yes, it does take time to adjust and I don't always catch that car behind me, but, overall I am glad I have one. I find it especially useful on heavily traveled windy (as in curvy) roads.

I find that often the wind noise drowns out motor noise so I can't count on my ears to tell me what's behind.
    Nancy

I may have to give my Take A Look mirror another chance. I only used it for a day, but kept getting dizzy (hush peanut gallery, I was no where near a Lemon Drop).

I'm told once you get used to them, you will love them. Hmmm, someone said that to me about men once........

Mirror on my helmet

I've been using the mirror-on-my-helmet version since I started commuting about 10 years ago. The mirrors on the handlebars bounce around too much for me. The one I use is a version I get from Performance.com and it has a gimble that allows me to remove the mirror/arm whenever I need to pack my helmet. It's very adjustable so I can angle it out of my line of vision but I can easily see what is behind me at any point. It's very convenient and I just wouldn't be without one.

I use a handlebar mirror on my hybrid and I like it, but if I had anything other than a very slow ten-block commute through a residential area, I would need something else, because it does bounce around quite a lot. I like it when it is too windy for me to trust my ears, and when there is someone behind me who hasn't decided whether or not to pass me.

I should probably get a helmet mirror for using with my road bike. I don't ride in traffic very often but I am really nervous every time I do.