Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckervill View Post
    But I did see Bush go to meet the US women's team (their names escape me). What really ticked me off is that he was all grabby and kissy with them! Not presidential at all. He went down on the sand and put his arm around them both and kissed them both on the cheek like he was a regular joe meeting Playboy bunnies! I was so disgusted! Where was his sense of decorum? The women were friendly to him, and they had surprised looks when they first saw him, but then they were so cooperative with the touchy-feely part. I don't know if I would have been.
    Funny, that's just what he did that time with the German Prime Minister...
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

I don't have a problem with beach volleyball as an olympic sport. It takes as much endurance as anything. Hubby and I discussed the uniforms last night too. I personally think that something like boy shorts, or something would be okay.

Though, they're competing in sports bras, sort of, and I see women running in sports bras all of the time.

Hubby thought that maybe for both sides something like cycling shorts.

Ah well. Whatever floats their boat.

Now, I am curious why the IOC is yanking baseball and softball. I am not an enthusiast myself, but loads of others are. I don't quite understand equestrian events as olympic events, I imagine that it's got something to do with the historic reference to chariot races, perhaps? I'm also unsure of sailing, archery and shooting events. Why are these olympic sports?

I'm not bashing them, I've never done them. I'm just genuinely curious: What makes an event worthy of olympic competition?

Here is a quote from MSN Encarta:

"What criteria? Well, someone's got to apply: A sport needs an association or governing body of some kind to get in. Cow chip hurling, therefore, popular though it may be in the upper Midwest, probably won't make it.

A sport must also be popular in many countries--75 of them for men's summer sports, 40 for women's summer sports, and 25 for winter sports."

Do there needs to be an international federation, and it needs to abide by the IOC rules. And there must be enough interest for the sport worldwide.

I just learned that tug of war used to be an olympic sport, but it's now gone.

Note that many sports are "recognized" by the IOC but not currently in the Olympics. That includes bridge (yes, the card game - is that a summer or winter game?). I'm not sure what it does to be recognized.

More info:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympic_sports
    http://encarta.msn.com/column_olympi...mpic'.html

The wikipedia entries were helpful. I forget that sport sometimes means an activity of skill rather than shear strength/stamina/flexibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    Now, I am curious why the IOC is yanking baseball and softball. I am not an enthusiast myself, but loads of others are.
    I was wondering that myself. Basically, it comes down to money. Building baseball and softball stadiums is expensive. According to an article I read in the local paper, the softball venues built for the Athens and Sydney Olympics have hardly been used since the events.

Softball will be out of the 2012 Olympics in London. It may be considered for the 2016 Olympics and beyond.
    I'll get back on the bike soon, I promise!