Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by jocelynlf View Post
    Shootingstar, I love your food descriptions. Can I come to your house? I'll bring a potluck dish!

I wish my mom had taught me how to cook . . . you've inspired me to bug her when I am visiting the parents this weekend.
    Any time you're in Vancouver...

This might sound corny and even puzzling to some folks here especially when alot of ethnic food has gone global..but admittedly, some of the home-style Chinese dishes ..is for me, part of family history. It is part of identity. I consider what I know cooking/food-wise which is not well-documented in English,...a legacy from my parents.

So in the end, eating some of this stuff has very little to do with maintaining my weight. I'm just lucky...it does happen to be generally healthy dishes also that I choose to remember and prepare.

After going on a long vacation nowadays, I go home...and cook a steamed meat dish. It's like comfort food to me. At university, I didn't junk out on pizza, potato chips, etc. I was cooking this type of food for myself..it was therapy from studying and occasionally missing home-cooking.

So take advantage of your mother's cooking know-how. We videotaped my mother making gluntinous rice packets with other meat/bean goodies wrapped in bamboo leaves, then steamed. It's 1 food, though not healthy for maintaining weight, I will allow and ask my mother to make whenever I visit. I have not yet learned how to make this time-consuming thing. My mother will not live forever..I might as well enjoy a few non-weight maintenance special foods now.
    Last edited by shootingstar; 08-16-2008 at 04:13 PM.

I was trying to figure out today, why I did not feel full in the stomach yesterday.

It didn't make sense, especially when I had lunch at Denny's with some people at work. Had light green salad with smallish pieces of grilled chicken and water to drink. I was a little agog to see the 5 other women (in their mid-30's to early 50's) each order largish hamburgers with fries on the side for each person. And I know these women do want to lose weight and they are not totally inactive people.

Then my regular commute homeward, included my 15 min. walk to bus stop, bus, commuter train then bike for 16 kms.

I was pacing myself at Denny's..because already I knew and on our way home on bike, stopped at a Japanese restaurant for supper. So had 2 small gyozas and a bento box meal that included small slices of B.B. eel on a really itty bit of rice (nearly laughable) nori strands for garnish, 3 small sashimi, 1 small salmon sushi roll, little "Japanese" salad with bed of daikon sliver shavings with small miso soup on side. Also a small slab of green tea ice cream with 2 large cups of green tea.

So part of the solution for night out, not to overly pig-out ...was the bento box style meal...smaller amounts of food but with a good variety.

No haven't weighed myself. My shorts around waist feel right..not tight.

Am just reviving this topic thread..since for some of us, it's an ongoing effort, maintaining weight or at least keeping our weight stable without going overboard too much.

I don't post at all on the weight loss topic thread that Possegal is helping to track some people's weight loss efforts.

But there's some of us that must lose 3-6 lbs. after every winter or so. This too, requires some vigilance and regular cycling/exercise.

And the older I get, I actually get vaguely annoyed when people still tell me that I don't have to do much/lose weight. My metabolism has changed compared to 10 yrs. ago.

Please....I've been cycling 32-45 kms. daily for the past few weeks. I just don't post my ride mileage on TE daily.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

Quote Originally Posted by shootingstar View Post
    Am just reviving this topic thread..since for some of us, it's an ongoing effort, maintaining weight or at least keeping our weight stable without going overboard too much.

I don't post at all on the weight loss topic thread that Possegal is helping to track some people's weight loss efforts.

But there's some of us that must lose 3-6 lbs. after every winter or so. This too, requires some vigilance and regular cycling/exercise.

And the older I get, I actually get vaguely annoyed when people still tell me that I don't have to do much/lose weight. My metabolism has changed compared to 10 yrs. ago.

Please....I've been cycling 32-45 kms. daily for the past few weeks. I just don't post my ride mileage on TE daily.

I'm right with you, sister! The annual gain/loss cycle is real for me, too. I peak around April, and by September, I have to eat a lot to maintain. I don't like going below 120 lbs because I look gaunt (I have a thin face to begin with). At that point, <120, I add lots of nuts, and a second breakfast, and I can eat potato chips and French fries (my weaknesses). I feel like I'm constantly eating, which is fun, but then it suddenly turns from maintaining to gaining, and is less fun .

Right now, I'm watching it (fries are a no no ). I really have to be careful not to overindulge. It's hard because I get used to the extra eating, and when the weight suddenly goes up, it's hard to cut back. This year, I thought riding a lot would keep it more in check, but I still gained 5 lbs. My ideal weight (the one I feel best at) is 122. I'm 5'5". I wish I could just be and maintain that weight all year eating the same amount of food, but it just doesn't work that way for me.

Ditto.
    I was really struggling to keep my weight at 107. If it gets to 109, the danger signs go up. Finally, for other reasons, I stopped taking Evista. My weight is easier to maintain since then, but I have really been strict about the carbs and portions. I am also running two days a week in addition to cycling 3-4 times, yoga, etc.
    I still have to restrict my Asian food intake. Saturday night we went out for Indian food. I had a vegetable dish, but I did have white rice and some whole wheat naan. My weight went from 106.5 to 108.7 in one night... Then it takes me 2 days to lose.I feel like I'm making headway, but still experimenting with what will keep my weight stable, give me enough energy to ride and run, and fit in my clothes!

What is Evista, Crankin?

Just on the variety of physical activity, you're more active regularily than I. I don't jog. I agree it requires for me ..I dunno ..maybe a wk. or much LONGER to get rid of 2-3 extra lbs. with sustained daily exercise and mindful eating.

Well, I'm not observing the simple golden rule of long-term, undesired weight gain. I seem to have at least 1 biscotti every morning. That's approx. 100 calories..all adds up over several years. In case people think this is paranoia, well just allow yourself to gain 2-3 lbs. annually. After a decade, that really adds up!

A person cannot shut themselves off reasonable restaurant meals here and there, for 1 whole year. Just unrealistic. So we have to make dietary adjustments on the fly, every week, month and every year of our lives...for as long as we live. Thank goodness, we discovered our long-term love of cycling. I can't imagine engaging in a sport/exercise that one dislikes just to maintain healthy weight.

Redhodie: Never in my life I have ever made a conscious effort to gain weight. I just gained weight by not paying attention to what I was eating.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

Quote Originally Posted by shootingstar View Post
    Redhodie: Never in my life I have ever made a conscious effort to gain weight. I just gained weight by not paying attention to what I was eating.
    I was borderline anorexic in my 20s, when I was taking ballet classes. I got down to 112, pretty much by starving myself, and I obsessed over every calorie and gram of fat, and every bump in the mirror (at that point, I didn't see myself as thin. I weigh over 10 lbs more now, but I think I look thinner. It's a strange phenomenon).

AT that point, I was pretty miserable. I stopped dancing and started taking yoga, and the less time I spent looking in a full length mirror, the healthier I got. It's sad I wasted so much time striving for something that was so destructive. I'm lucky to have gotten through it.

Now, to see myself as healthy at a weight I would have been very depressed about back then is a big improvement in my self esteem. I thank cycling for that. I know how weak I am when I get below 120. When I get to that place, I know I need to watch myself just as much as getting over 125. It's a balancing act.

Of course, it's much easier to gain than lose for me! Gaining is effortless! I love to eat!

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    redhodie, I'm have the same weight range as you. Below 120 and I'm too thin. Above 125 and I get the willies (I spent most of my life til a few years ago in the mid 140s). Right now I'm above 125 and below 130...and I have the willies! A five-pound loss would be ideal, and I'm working on it. For me, I find that if I really up my fruit intake and increase my protein just a bit, I lose pretty easily. Maybe it's the extra water in the fruit (?) or just fewer calories.

Shootingstar, Evista is a medication for osteoporosis. I have osteopeinia; I can't take Fossamax, so this is an alternative. It's estrogen based, like bc pills. I was getting all kinds of bad side effects, and since I don't want to get a blood clot or have a stroke, I quit taking it. I am going to look into getting the new treatment, which is an IV infusion you get once a year, with very few side effects.
    Back to the weigh maintenance...
    I used to weigh 92 pounds, when I was teaching aerobics. I wasn't starving myself, but the combination of teaching at the gym 5 days a week, working full time, having 2 little kids, and copious amounts of coffee made me very skinny. Once I quit teaching, I gained about ten pounds. But then, at one point about ten years ago, I weighed 122, which is not good for someone barely five foot one. That's when I started cycling. I had been doing aerobics and walking sort of half heartedly for years. My ideal weight is 105, but I am happy with 106-7. But, if I get near 110, the panic button goes on.
    Shootingstar, you are right. It is not practical to think I am going to give up restaurants. I also like to cook!
    Still haven't lost the Indian food weight .

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    Shootingstar, Evista is a medication for osteoporosis. I have osteopeinia; I can't take Fossamax, so this is an alternative. It's estrogen based, like bc pills. I was getting all kinds of bad side effects, and since I don't want to get a blood clot or have a stroke, I quit taking it. I am going to look into getting the new treatment, which is an IV infusion you get once a year, with very few side effects.
    Back to the weigh maintenance....
    Hope you find a medication that works for you.

I know what you mean about becoming accidentally underweight. It's just life at times, becomes busy. I am 5'1" and prefer to be around 98-100 lbs. This is genuinely normal...for me..if you compare me against Asian women who grew up on similar diet as myself. There are actually medical studies which provide a different BMI for Asians which is abit lower. They've found this in determining levels cardiovascular disease risk, obesity, etc. and to get people to correct unhealthy habits earlier.

Prior to cycling (meaning prior to 31 yrs.), I was not physically active, except for walking around everywhere (because I don't drive). However my metabolism was quite high . 2-3 bowls of white rice as part of supper, was the norm for me. And I was usually around 94-98 lbs. at that time in life, with eating huge meals on par with what a bigger guy would eat. Except I seldom had desserts at that time.

I have small bone frame which will never change and hence, it's how the weight is distributed on a person, due to genes, etc. Without my boobs, I am 30 inches. No wonder why bra-buying is a lifelong headache.

It truly is how the weight sits on the bone frame.

Redhodie (and cyclegoddess, if I can recall her history), you are a great example for hellosunshine

Thank you! It wasnt easy but it worked in time. I felt for her, when she said she felt fat in her shorts. I get that now and then. But I go and watch Tour de France and think, your so little next to those guys! If you want to ride in bunch with the Big Boys( who do rides around my city), your going to have to eat!

A note, having bloating from meals can be a sign of food allergies or possibly, gluten intolerance( or dairy). Its a good idea to go get blood tests for those.
    I had some and found out that all the foods I ate most, were bad for me
    Once I got those out, life improved( with the exception that people often commented that they were worried I was using it as a screen for eating disorder.)
    I feel for you eating out., Try going to any place, and all you can eat is steamed veggies!! Its hard to get people to understand, NO I dont want sauce, no I cant have rice and NO! No, please dont order me food ahead of time!
    This weekend , I was so hungry on trip to Sydney( eating out,for a wedding), I had to go next door to the other rest. and order some beans, as all they had for me was steamed veggies and that wasnt cutting it. I had to sneak the bag in!
    Conquering illness, one step at time.

Redhodie is right. Ballet ruins you, sadly. Yoga is SOOO good and its full of pretty balances like ballet but better for you. Its also good for riding( Cadel Williams found this out. He swears by it and he did come in second at the Tour once.)

I don't have any food allergies; except shellfish and peanuts... not gluten intolerant either (I've been tested for celiac disease). Dairy doesn't agree with me, but only certain things. I can eat cheese and small amounts of yogurt and cottage cheese. But, I absolutely cannot drink milk. Probably why I have the osteopenia. Besides, I hate the taste of it, too.
    Generally, the higher protein, "good carbs" way of eating is best for me, but I have to add in more carbs when I am doing a lot of riding or running.

Believe it or not, milk does NOT help prevent oesteo.
    Milk is acidic.Any thing acidic, PULLS calcium from your bones , to settle your bloodstreams ph.
    Dairy, alcohol, sugar,coffee, tea meat, soy- all these cause your blood to become acidic.( acidosis)
    Countrys with HIGHEST rates of dairy consumption, have the highest hip fracture rate( finland for example).Countrys without much dairy - or meat for that matter ( sub saharan africa ) the lowest.
    I got all this from a English book( ye gods what was that title?).

Did more research, and yes - its true. Odd that. Youd be better off eating non dairy calcium( along all your other things). My mum drank heaps of milk every day, along with her....coffee. She has it too.

Quote Originally Posted by cylegoddess View Post
    Believe it or not, milk does NOT help prevent oesteo.
    Milk is acidic.Any thing acidic, PULLS calcium from your bones , to settle your bloodstreams ph.
    Dairy, alcohol, sugar,coffee, tea meat, soy- all these cause your blood to become acidic.( acidosis)
    Countrys with HIGHEST rates of dairy consumption, have the highest hip fracture rate( finland for example).Countrys without much dairy - or meat for that matter ( sub saharan africa ) the lowest.
    I got all this from a English book( ye gods what was that title?).

Did more research, and yes - its true. Odd that. Youd be better off eating non dairy calcium( along all your other things). My mum drank heaps of milk every day, along with her....coffee. She has it too.
    While I agree that drinking milk with coffee or tea, probably is not helpful for calcium benefits, not so sure I would go so far as to discount everything dairy, including milk, causes acidiosis. We, including medical researchers, haven't exhausted research on how different combinations of food eaten in 1 meal, degrade or increase nutrient benefits.

Got any links to some sources to read up more about all this?
    As for the studies about hip fracture rates, well depends how large the study populations were, what time of study period, study subjects level of fitness/weight, and lifestyle of these peoples.

Come to think of it, I wonder what are the common causes of hip fractures in later years are?
    By the way, I agree with redhodie and you that ballet is a physical activity that probably might increase probability of overfocusing on weight issues leading to eating disorders. Probably gymnastics and figure skating can cause these tendencies for girls/young women, where the body aesthetic becomes more important as one rises through advanced levels of competition.