Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Jen-Jen View Post
    Mine is not so much of a word, but a group of them.

KNOW WHAT I MEAN?

I work with a co-worker who will ask that several times in a hour for 8 hours!

Oohh..boy!
    I am currently in the midst of transcribing interviews for my research project. Hours at a time, days in a row. There are a lot more people than you'd imagine who say "you know" compulsively. (Note: I interview faculty members and people with or doing a Master's or PhD degree.)

Okay, so people from the Northeast that use "wicked" (like in Boston and such): that doesn't bother me so much. It's the surfer-dude use of it I hear among my 20-something co-workers in Colorado that grates. They also seem to use the word "aggressive" to describe just about anything slightly over the top. I had never heard that word used in the context they use it in until recently. For instance, "adding all those raisins to your oatmeal is really aggressive, dude!"

My significant other mixes up "itch" and "scratch". It's kind of funny. Usually substituting itch for scratch, "I have to itch my leg." I've never heard anyone do that other than him!

When people say "6 am in the morning"...not to be confused with 6 am in the evening!

ATM machine

What not
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    "a couple or three"
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

Along with Zen's atm machine - VIN number - VIN stands for Vehicle Identification Number! What's really bad is that I actually say this daily at work because if I say what's the VIN? (without the redundant "number" at the end) I just get blank looks, or "huh?" At least when I type it, I refuse to type VIN# like some of our people do. Maybe I should just start saying the entire thing instead of the acronym - what an idea! (Though the times I've said that, the response has been, "oh, is that the VIN number???" Yeah it is is.

Garbanzo beans. Do you also say chickpea beans?
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

I'm coming in a tad late here, but here goes...

People who interject R's into normal words, ie: Warshington, warsh the winduhs, etc.

Woof instead of wolf.

Ain't...I use it occasionally, but only in one or two sayings I use to make a point.

Overuse of the F word, and overuse of the word "like". I'm so over it...

Any word that is slurred or mumbled....my 14 year old has suddenly lost the ability to speak clearly. The kid mumbles EVERY word that escapes his mouth. Drives me NUTS.

Mammiogram. It's MAMMOGRAM. sheesh....

I seen...I just don't know where people learn to talk.

Geeze can you tell I was raised by a British mother who taught me to enunciate precisely? (I don't always, but I still like clear, appropriate speech).

<climbin down off'n mah soapbox>
    Kristen!

oh yeah, thanks for reminding me. the prostrate gland EEEEK!
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

Quote Originally Posted by crazycanuck View Post
    Umm excuse me, some of us aren't religious & don't see why we can't say "oh my god"..

I'll keep saying it
    CC: if someone made a statement on here that was offensive to Muslims or defamed Mohammed, this group would be on them like bees on honey.

Likewise, the unnecessary use of God's name is offensive to Christians. One of the 10 Commandments says in Exodus 20:7: "You shall not misuse the name of the LORD your God, for the LORD will not hold anyone guiltless who misuses his name". "Misuse" is a different translation of the more commonly heard "Thou shalt not use the name of the Lord your God in vain..." where "vain" would have the meaning of "cursing in anger" or "unnecessary use".

So you can keep saying it, but just because you're not religious does not mean that you're not being offensive. I am not Muslim, but I show enough respect for Muslim human beings to not intentionally offend them.

So, I agree with Flybye...

As for OMG, I prefer to think of that meaning "Oh My Gosh"...because the alternative makes me think of the disgusting inflection that Moon Unit Zappa gave it in "Valley Girl"
    If you don't grow where you're planted, you'll never BLOOM - Will Rogers

Anyone else ever wonder about the word Chiropractic? For example, when I see "Springfield Chiropractic", I always wonder chiropractic what? Isn't chiropractic an adjective so it should be Chiropractic Clinic, or Chiropractic SOMETHING!
    Claudia

2009 Trek 7.6fx
    2013 Jamis Satellite
    2014 Terry Burlington

Thanks Mr. Silver. I couldn't have said it better myself.

I guess it is acceptable to be politically correct, respectful, tolerant, and sensitive to the feelings of other unless it involves religion?? THAT baffles me. I think our mothers taught us better!

I try not to offend others, either. It really serves no purpose to offend another fellow human.

Not to belabor the point, but just spelling out the name is offensive to some Jews. So you're being offensive, too. ::notice multiple winkies and good-natured poke:::

Karen

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Silver View Post
    CC: if someone made a statement on here that was offensive to Muslims or defamed Mohammed, this group would be on them like bees on honey.

Likewise, the unnecessary use of God's name is offensive to Christians. One of the 10 Commandments says in Exodus 20:7: "You shall not misuse the name of the LORD your God, for the LORD will not hold anyone guiltless who misuses his name". "Misuse" is a different translation of the more commonly heard "Thou shalt not use the name of the Lord your God in vain..." where "vain" would have the meaning of "cursing in anger" or "unnecessary use".

So you can keep saying it, but just because you're not religious does not mean that you're not being offensive. I am not Muslim, but I show enough respect for Muslim human beings to not intentionally offend them.

So, I agree with Flybye...

As for OMG, I prefer to think of that meaning "Oh My Gosh"...because the alternative makes me think of the disgusting inflection that Moon Unit Zappa gave it in "Valley Girl"

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckervill View Post
    Not to belabor the point, but just spelling out the name is offensive to some Jews. So you're being offensive, too. ::notice multiple winkies and good-natured poke:::

Karen
    I was not aware of that, so that gives me something to research...this is not something that I was previously aware of... Multiple winkies back at ya'...and it's probably based on the same scripture verse that I quoted...matters of faith are particularly emotional and should be respected at a higher level than most issues IMHO
    Last edited by Mr. Bloom; 08-07-2008 at 07:04 PM. Reason: spelling error
    If you don't grow where you're planted, you'll never BLOOM - Will Rogers

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Silver View Post
    Likewise, the unnecessary use of God's name is offensive to Christians.
    Oh boy.
    'God' does not belong to Christians and Christianity. Lots of religions refer to God or to their various Gods. If I have my own God in my heart that I believe in and want to say Oh my God, that's my right and if someone else is offended by my mentioning my God then that's their problem- they can't expect the rest of the world to follow their religious rules. They are not the boss of me.
    I happen to believe that even if I didn't believe in any God and wanted to say Oh my God that's my right and it's not 'defaming' anything. My beliefs are my own and they should be respected too. I don't request that others practice them though. If some religion thought of dancing as being the work of the Devil does that mean no one else should ever dance in their own daily lives, so as not to offend or defame them?? Likewise, if some Muslims think it's offensive to Allah that women drive cars am I supposed to not drive so as not to offend them?
    Too many people telling others what they can do and say if you ask me.

Mimi says:
    oh yeah, thanks for reminding me. the prostrate gland EEEEK!
    YES! I can never believe that one when I hear it. Plus, it reminds me of when my dork 50+ year old brother told me I should really be sure to get a prostate checkup the next time i go to the doctor. Ai, how clueless can you get??!
    Last edited by BleeckerSt_Girl; 08-07-2008 at 07:19 PM.
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^