Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I fell at a stoplight!!

To disable ads, please log-in.

Well, I guess in the back of my mind I thought it may happen but I wasn't prepared for the potential results....
    Started my ride last night and was even excited for icecream!!! I got 4 miles out and came to a stoplight, unclipping on my left as I always do. Stopped and leaned left....then, somehow in the midst of conversation lost my center of gravity or something and teatered to the right. Down I went...and felt the snap immediately...!!! Yes, I now have a trimalleolar fracture of the right ankle!
    I never had time to think about attempting to unclip the right! I had been sooooo comfortable cycling with clips/pedals!!
    Motorists were concerned and helpful. My sons came to get me but before they arrived the Chief of the Fire Dept. stopped...really encouraged an ambulance and finally I agreed. Boys took the bike home and off I went to the hospital. Long story short...no beds at the hospital so I am home awaiting the ortho surgeon to call for this morning surgery. And this foot hurts!
    I type this on the porch, in a splint...hungry (nothing after midnight ) and a bit scared. I am sad about the riding. It is such a wonderful part of my life! I am a nurse so work is a huge issue...my boys were wonderful last night but they both leave for college in 2 weeks...then it is just me for the first time. (empty nest and recent divorce) My youngest is headed for Hawaii University and we were going together....that's not happening! No weightbearing for min. 6 weeks. CRAP!!!!!!!

OK...one step at a time (HA...no pun intended!) I'll get through today and figure out the rest. You can't change things...just work hard and heal!

So, if I could ask for good thoughts as my day rolls on. Thanks ladies! I love this site and all the support over the last few months!

ciao,
    Jean

good news!!! no scratches on my beautiful bike! Handlebars may need adjustment...
    Last edited by j.nurse63; 08-06-2008 at 04:09 AM. Reason: spelling error

(((((j.nurse63)))))
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Ow ow ow (((((jnurse)))))

Good thoughts for your surgery and recovery - heal quick!
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Ouch Indeed

My Goodness Jean, I am so sorry to hear of your accident. It makes me want to come over and make chicken soup and help you plan you big bike ride when your ankle is better.

owie

Owie! I can assure you that the time off your bike will go quickly . I know people will tell you however you need to believe it!

Be kind to yourself & rest!!

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    oh my gosh that is awful. So sorry!

I am a big fan of people riding their new bikes for a while without clipless just so they can get comfortable with leaning the bike confidently to a certain side while stopping and starting, getting used to pushing off on your pedal, getting your foot ready to come down well before you stop, etc. When I read stories of newish riders falling over in traffic at intersections it really makes me uncomfortable.

Heal quickly. My advice is to try some regular pedals for a little while when you get back on your bike, until you get really confident in stopping in traffic.
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Oh my! I'm so sorry... I fell over twice in my first week with clipless pedals, but all I had were very minor bruises. I can't believe you got a fracture from tipping over! That's awful... And terrible timing with your son going to college. So sorry.

Hang in there! We'll all be thinking about you.

Big hug - I hope you heal quickly.

Sounds like not a whole lot of fun. Hope you get better soon!
    I'm New Here...and trying to improve my over health and fitness by cycling daily.

So sorry to hear about your fall and fracture! I hope your surgery will be uneventful, and your healing quick. Big bummer about not getting to go to Hawaii!

It all sounds vaguely reminiscent of my "big crash" of '05. I touched my DH's rear wheel with my front wheel when two dogs ran out right at me. I crashed and broke my pelvis in three places, in hospital for five days, surgery, no weight bearing for eight weeks. We had a dream trip to the BVI booked the following month that we had to postpone until 7 months later.

One bike ride can definitely change your life. Best wishes for a quick recovery for you.

Emily
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Do you need some books to read? Tell us what you like and we'll inundate you!
    and LOOSEN those cleats on your pedals. Your ankle shouldn't be the first thing that gives, the cleat should be.

Get well soon. Stick with us, we'll keep you company!
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

Agreed with mimi - how can we help? I feel so bad for you and I'm sure many of us would love to help you deal with the down time!
    You too can help me fight cancer, and get a lovely cookbook for your very own! My team's cookbook is for sale Click here to order. Proceeds go to our team's fundraising for the Philly Livestrong Challenge!

Oh no, I am so sorry. That just is rotten luck. I have done that before, not to the extent you have, but feel just like a dork, falling while stopped.

You could use crutches and ride the little carts at the airport, would hate to miss a trip to Hawaii. Sending you good vibes.

So sorry about your accident. I hope you can find a new passion or catch up with a old one while waiting for a healed ankle.

Oh no, that's terrible! I fell at a stoplight when I was new to clipless, but was fortunate to escape with nothing more than a bruised and bleeding elbow and some road rash. I'm so so sorry about your broken ankle.

Hawaii sounds like a lovely place to recuperate to me. I hope there is a way you can make your trip happen after all.