Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay

To disable ads, please log-in.

My instructor is quite straightforward and will tell participants directly (me included) when they are doing something unsafe or wrong. My problem is that my knees tend to be too close together. So he calls me on it. He calls out other people in the class to, among other things, increase resistance to stop bouncing, ride properly with your hands on the bars, decrease resistance to get up to cadence, chin up to breathe properly, drink up, etc. It's his job to teach us what's right. I expect that, and would not like it if he just kept quiet or made general comments to the group. Some people don't know they are doing things wrong, and some just need reminding. He's good at learning people's names, and at the beginning of the class will ask people he doesn't know what their names are. I think people behave better since he knows their names. There's no chitchat, but there is a friendly banter between the instructor and the participants.

Some people show up really early and put their towel on the bike and then go do their core work and come back at the beginning of class. That seems perfectly acceptable to me. It's hard to differentiate between those towels and ones that other people have put up for friends. However, it's reasonable to make it clear that five minutes before class the people waiting get dibs on unoccupied bikes. Put up signs a few weeks before you start this so that everyone knows. It'll only take a few times for things to work themselves out.

just wondering how is having your knees too close together bad for you? this is a great way to work your hammys when your quads tend to get tired.

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    The instructor told me that knees should be inline, not knock-kneed and not sticking out. He's a physical therapist in his regular job, so he knows more than me. Plus, I've had hip problems and don't want to exacerbate them. I noticed in the TDF one of the Spanish riders (I think) was extremely knock-kneed. I guess he's okay with it.

Exactly. Some of the pros have developed extremely strong adductor (inner thigh) muscles, and they can get away with having their knees a bit closer to the top tube to enlist those muscles more on the upstroke. However, they won't have any "knee wobble" throughout the pedal stroke. It can be very risky for your knee health to have your knees go out of the centerline when pedaling, either outward or inward. You want your kneecaps to be facing forward. You might be able to accomplish this and have your knees in a bit. It all depends on your own biomechanics. However, I wouldn't really advocate that people change it up just for the sake of enlisting certain muscles or (on the road) to be more aero. If a knee (or both) are out of line, then it could take a negative toll on your knees over time. That's what my orthopedist says and what I've heard from bike fitters.

cool. thanks.

i only bring the knees in every now and then during spin class.

i dont do it when im out on the road cycling.

Until I read this thread I'd never seen anyone standing up in the pedals and not holding onto the handlebars until yesterday. I mentioned it to a friend after class and she told me that the woman in question is a top sports physician who has Olympic athletes as clients.

Presumably she knows what she's doing but I have to think she's setting a bad example for the newbies in the class who still haven't even mastered the basics!

I just joined my local YMCA about 6 weeks ago so i could use their stationary bikes when it was too hot to ride outside or too cold and to do light weight training. Anyway, I saw they had "Spinning" classes there but after hearing that during the class you do "push-ups" against the handlebars, and other things like hands-behind-the back, etc. I don't think I'll take them. The spinning bikes are in the main gym and they do have open gym once a day, so if I want to use them, I can do so during that time and just "Spin."

But they also have these stationary bikes that have a little video screen mounted to the handlebars that shows other rides, a pace rider, and different scenes you choose. I've used that--it's cool! It has gears, the seat position is similar to my Hybrid, and I get a good work out. You can set the pace rider to go as slow/fast as you wish.

Is there an advantage to doing "spinning" over something like the virtual bike?

Quote Originally Posted by squirrell View Post
    Almost always the "spin" bikes have more adjustability, and often you can bring your own pedals, sometimes your own saddle. If you're comfortable on the computerized bikes, go for it!
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by squirrell View Post
    I
    But they also have these stationary bikes that have a little video screen mounted to the handlebars that shows other rides, a pace rider, and different scenes you choose. I've used that--it's cool! It has gears, the seat position is similar to my Hybrid, and I get a good work out. You can set the pace rider to go as slow/fast as you wish.

I think the answer is in your question. On the video screen bikes you said you said you get a good work out, the bike is similar to your hybrid and you like it. Perfect!
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

The University just reopened the HUGE campus rec facility, it has a spinning "studio" with large flat screen monitors. They're going to run different "trips" where you cycle through Spain and learn Spanish at the same time, and another where you cycle through wine country and learn about the vineyards. The keep the lights really low so you can feel like you're actually there, I'm thinking I'll try the wine country one...think they'll mind if I bring a bottle of red along for a more complete experience??

Electra Townie 7D

i realize this thread has died a little, but i'm new here and wanted to add one little thing:
    how about the people that still insist on doing pushups on the bike!!!!
    pushups... really.
    or those that insist on never sitting on the seat. they slam the seat way down and back. it's harder they claim.
    GRRR!!!

Quote Originally Posted by pulch21 View Post
    i realize this thread has died a little, but i'm new here and wanted to add one little thing:
    how about the people that still insist on doing pushups on the bike!!!!
    pushups... really.
    or those that insist on never sitting on the seat. they slam the seat way down and back. it's harder they claim.
    GRRR!!!
    Better known as Contraindicated Movements. So silly, aren't they?
    The Journey is the Reward.

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    Well, I had a participant come to my aerobics classes with her own music. And she sang out loud to the music while I was try to cue the participants.
    Now that is WIERD!
    did she have headphones on? Didn't she realize just about everyone sings monotone w/ headphones on?

It's about the journey and being in the moment, not about the destination

long - lots of thoughts

I have been lurking on the spinning thread for awhile and really thinking about a lot of it. So here are my thoughts FWIW

re: a lot of contraindicated moves like pushups, one arm behind the back etc. I have decided it boils down to teaching philosophy and reasons for spinning.
    I am assuming everyone on this site are outside, regular bike riders first, spin class instructors/participants 2nd.

I did some informal research to find out how many participants in the spin class I attend ride regular bikes outside - in a group of 12 there were 3. All others simply go to spin class year round and don't own bikes. They are strictly there for what the workout can do for them and feel good if they think they are getting a "full body" workout. They don't give a rip about proper cycling form or whether any movements are contraindicative to "real" cycling and the classes are geared to them - they are the majority.

One of the more popular instructors is a road rider whom I ride regularly w/. I kind of feel she sold out. She went to some workshops and is now doing all the crazy arm stuff. I don't care if she gets mad at me but I don't do them. I just say "I swam over a mile this morning, I got plenty of upper body workout."
    When she does something else I don't agree w/ I just don't do it.

Re people leaving - if it is the same people over and over again I agree that is a problem. However, I have seen a lot of beginners leave after 1/2 hour because of the intensity of the workout, they try to keep up w/ the big dogs and burn out. I try to tell my beginning friends to gear down, sit down, spin slower and do what it takes but try to get through the hour at an easier pace - but we all know what group mentality is like

Re talking during class How loud are they talking? Is it interrupting the instructor? people beside them? If not I say let it go - they are not in school, they are not training for some elite event where they are being paid millions of dollars so if they want to talk they can. If they aren't pedaling hard enough to not talk who really cares.
    If they are bothering others then that is an issue and can be asked to talk more quietly or move to the back where others can't hear them.
    I am guilty, I have talked in class sometimes and I don't care. Others can still hear and I am not interrupting the instructor. It is not Boot camp, the instructor is not a drill sargent. I am not getting paid to be there, I am paying to be there. I get out of it what I put into it, if my friend and I don't want to work as hard that day that is our problem.

I have taught general adult education art classes for years, I have taught teacher workshops and I teach HS students daily. I have learned that general population adults are not good students and teachers believe it or not are the rudest of all. BUT they are paying for the class, if they don't want to do something I am not going to make them. I introduce it, I help them if needed but I have learned it is not a reflection on me or my class if they don't succeed.

I do think it is up to the instructor to point out and assist w/ good form to help prevent injury. I get upset w/ instructors who just sit on their spin bikes yelling out instructions and never get off to assist the participants w/ seat height, body alignment, foot position etc. I believe they are getting paid to teach, not just to get their own workout in. I have stopped my workout (for which I am paying BTW) more than once to help the person beside me adjust their bike while the instructor stayed on her bike. I realize that stopping, getting off your bike, helping someone can throw off the flow, but I have seen the good instructors be able to multi task and keep everyone else going while they help someone.

Which brings me to MY RANT. I wanted to talk to the programming director to find out what I would need to do to get certified to teach a beginning spin class. I was intercepted by the spin instructor mentioned earlier. She said "I will talk to her but they won't let you do it because I am already on staff and I don't cost them any more money" I am sure she never mentioned it to the director. Me thinks she doesn't want competition.
    My feeling (because I have been there) is even our classes touted as "beginner" are much too difficult for a beginner - I see them come, last 20 minutes, leave and never come back. I wanted to start one where there was longer recovery, slower cadences, teach proper form etc. I had a group of followers (OK they were my friends who were really pumped about it. Well nothing has happened and the classes are still puking hard if you do what the instructor tells you to do and beginners don't come back.

I just realized I have quit going to classes taught by that specific instructor and just go to the one taught by another friend from our summer riding group. He teaches much more traditionally and straight forward, fixes the bikes if something is wrong and helps people. He gets an A+ in my book.

It's about the journey and being in the moment, not about the destination

Yes, Eclectic, that woman was wearing headphones when she came to my class. She knew she was singing loud enough for us to hear her. She just stayed in the back of the room and did her own thing. She was slightly off, putting it mildly.
    I quit teaching classes because of all of the above stuff. It was worse than the kids at school. At times I have thought about getting spin certified, since it is not a huge time commitment. But, I am not sure who would like my classes. I was always the safe, slower paced instructor with aerobics and my classes were full of people just like me. Not that I couldn't dance really fast in my 30's and 40's, but after just a couple of years and a stress fracture and plantar fascitis, I learned my lesson. My gym does not seem quite as bad as some of the stuff discussed here, but we definitely have the teachers who are riders and the ones who are just spin instructors. I have been going to class pretty regularly since December; the one I can get to on Saturday has awful remixed music just like what I had in the 80s. Her class has gotten better, though. But Thursday i had the cat 2 racer/triathlete for class. What a difference. The time went by so fast and I was doing what cyclists do. Good music, too. At least we have to call and sign up or you don't get in. They give you a card and have to present it to the instructor.
    I just don't like the cattiness of the clients; I would have some people tell my boss that I was terrible and someone else from the same class would say I was the best instructor, ever. I am glad that in another month I won't have to go as much.