Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by arim View Post
    When measured for the Specialized saddles, I'm between a 143 and 155. They initially recommended the 155 Lithia in case I spend a lot of time in the hoods.
    My understanding of saddle-fitting is that you can't really be between sizes - if your sitbone measurement is wider than what will fit on a 143 saddle, then you really need to be on a 155 saddle. So the girly-bits pain that you're having may be b/c the narrower saddles don't support your sit bones properly, leaving all your weight on the soft tissue. This is also why you're not having sit bones pain on the narrower saddles - your sit bones are not really ON the saddle! You should try a saddle in the 155 measurement with a bit more padding and see how that pans out. I ride a Specialized Ariel (it's a mountain saddle but looks great on my road bike). It's definitely got more padding than the Lithia and comes in 155. That might be a good option for you to try.

Quote Originally Posted by Flur View Post
    My understanding of saddle-fitting is that you can't really be between sizes - if your sitbone measurement is wider than what will fit on a 143 saddle, then you really need to be on a 155 saddle. So the girly-bits pain that you're having may be b/c the narrower saddles don't support your sit bones properly, leaving all your weight on the soft tissue. This is also why you're not having sit bones pain on the narrower saddles - your sit bones are not really ON the saddle! You should try a saddle in the 155 measurement with a bit more padding and see how that pans out. I ride a Specialized Ariel (it's a mountain saddle but looks great on my road bike). It's definitely got more padding than the Lithia and comes in 155. That might be a good option for you to try.

I need to clarify--my apologies. I measure about 135. According to Specialized system, that puts me between a 145 and a 155, depending on my riding position (more time in the hoods and upright, I should be on a 155, more time at a 45 degree angle or less, the 143 is better). I got sit bone pain on the Jett 143, but I was told by my bike shop that they stopped carrying it because too many complained it was too firm, so that may be the reason there...

I tried a Fizik Vitesse in the bike shop yesterday and WHOH--I finally found a seat that was comfy on my tush! Problem was that the Vitesse does not have a cutout, and apparently from the pain I experienced up front on the trainer (RIGHT AWAY), I need a cutout. Its a Tri seat, and was a little long for my purposes anyway, but it made me very interested in Fizik seats.

Anyway, I'm presently trying the Terry Falcon X (Terry has a great 30 day love it or return it guarantee). It measures about a 152, and when I switched from the Vitesse to the Falcon, my girly bits thanked me. It feels a little stiff near the hind end--it might be too wide, but we'll see how I do on the road. I just don't like the way it looks on my bike.

Thanks so much to you all--all your advice is fantastic! I'll keep you posted on my trials. Keep your ideas coming! I could use all the help I can get!

And, thanks for the tip on the Ariel!

Well, you can't see the saddle when your butt is on it!

Function over form, I say!

Karen

Unhappy saddle woes

I'm on my fourth saddle in 6 months and still not happy with any of them. Most recently I used the terry gelissimo which started out okay but then really chafed my inner thighs after it broke in. Bike shop says I wasn't sitting back far enough and needed to move it forward but it still felt too wide. I ride about 50-80 miles a week in 2-3 rides on a road bike. Try to make one of those at least 35-50 miles if I can find the time. I'm thinking of trying the Fizik Vitesse LIFE Saddle that REI carries. Anyone have luck with this saddle? Or others that are long ride oriented for someone that seems to have uber sensitivity?

Quote Originally Posted by mayanorange View Post
    nightmare. I have a Selle SMP TRK on order to try
    I have 2 of these saddles. First I put the men's one on my road bike and found it to be the most comfy saddle I've tried. So after quite a few months I put the women's one on my hybrid. Thoroughly recommeded and didn't cost an arm and a leg.

Saddle help

Thanks for that recommendation. I think I will try one. Do you notice a big difference between the men's and women's?

I'm jealous of your location as I know you are just coming in to your good riding season and we are bundling up and racing the daylight to continue ours. I also just order the best headlights from DiNotte Lighting. Very expensive but super small, light and powerful. Small company and very customer friendly.

Now that I'm used to riding on both the men's and the women's, I don't notice any difference. If I were to swap em around maybe I would. The reason I got the men's for the roadie is that the women's was wider than anything I've had before and I didn't think it would work on a road bike. Even the men's one is quite wide for a bloke's saddle. The reason I went for the women's one for the hybrid is that the extra width in the more upright postion is pretty ok - for me anyway. I like the large cutout and the way the nose angles downwards.

The seasons seem to come and go so fast for all of us. Before long I'll be reading about you guys in the northern hemisphere getting ready for summer again. Ahhh....summer......daylight savings......mmmm

Quote Originally Posted by Rosie road View Post
    I'm on my fourth saddle in 6 months and still not happy with any of them. Most recently I used the terry gelissimo which started out okay but then really chafed my inner thighs after it broke in. Bike shop says I wasn't sitting back far enough and needed to move it forward but it still felt too wide. I ride about 50-80 miles a week in 2-3 rides on a road bike. Try to make one of those at least 35-50 miles if I can find the time. I'm thinking of trying the Fizik Vitesse LIFE Saddle that REI carries. Anyone have luck with this saddle? Or others that are long ride oriented for someone that seems to have uber sensitivity?
    Moving the saddle forward rarely changes your position on the saddle - it just changes the position of your knees over your pedals. If your knees were happy before, then moving the saddle isn't the way to go. You may be able to move yourself back on the saddle by using a shorter and/or steeper stem.

Inner thigh chafing plus being forced too far forward on the saddle sounds to me like your saddle is pear-shaped and you need a more T-shaped one. I was definitely having the problem of my Terry Liberator Race forcing me forward because of its pear shape.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

My issue with gel saddles is they make me sweat alot. I recently bought a new bike for commuting to work which had a gel saddle on it. I thought cool something softer and won't need to wear padded shorts. It was comfortable but it made my crotch so sweaty, where I already have temp control issues. (sorry if too much info) And I felt it was a bit wide (see below)

I'm so glad to hear mention of irritation in the inner thigh/groin area. I've been reading the posts regarding saddle recommendations, since I too am still trying to find the right one, and the issues people list are always with the sit bones. Mine never hurt, my issue is in the groin (girly bits to thigh).

I'm trying out a terry butterfly which I don't need to wear padded shorts with since only a 7 mile ride to work but definitely does not work for longer rides even with shorts. I think the nose is too wide and too thick (I have cushy inner thighs). I also tried a specialized (don't have model on hand) but it's on the too narrow side. I have a san marco that I love but always gotta use shorts with that one but have it on a separate road bike.

I think the tips on a less pear more T shaped is a good tip that I never realized and where I need to start trying to move towards, the Terry is definitely pear.

interesting

I hadn't heard that notion of t vs. pear but it makes sense. Any specific recommendations?

I'm riding a Specialized Lithia saddle now which is pretty T-shaped. It comes in three widths (130, 143, 155) like a lot of their women's saddles.

They have several different saddles that are pretty much the same shape, but different levels of firmness. The Lithia is a little squishy for me and I think I'm going to a Jett next time. If you've read on here about people complaining about the seams on the Jett, I guess Specialized was listening, because the '09 Jett has a lot fewer seams.

For an even wider T-shaped saddle, there are a lot of people here who just adore their Brooks saddles, and if you need a cut-out there's the Selle An-Atomica which is basically a Brooks with a cut-out.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by arim View Post
    I tried a Fizik Vitesse in the bike shop yesterday and WHOH--I finally found a seat that was comfy on my tush! Problem was that the Vitesse does not have a cutout, and apparently from the pain I experienced up front on the trainer (RIGHT AWAY), I need a cutout. Its a Tri seat, and was a little long for my purposes anyway, but it made me very interested in Fizik seats.
    You probably tried this model, right?
    http://www.ebikestop.com/fizik_vites...ail-SA1826.php

It is a tri saddle... But Fizik makes a non-tri version of the Vitesse, and the nose shape is very different. I haven't seen the tri version, but I would guess that the nose is squishier than the regular version too. The Vitesse hp is quite firm. I think it's probably shorter as well (it's certainly not a long saddle).

Here's the regular version:
    http://www.glorycycles.com/fivihpsabl.html

Not to sell you on the Vitesse, it may be completely the wrong saddle for you, but if you liked the rear of the tri saddle, it might be worth trying the regular version -- you may find that the firmer, lower-profile nose is more comfortable.

Good luck!

Red face MUCH better ride

Finally got the Fizik Vitesse LIFE and I've done three 30-40 mile rides so far and it is really nice. By far the most comfortable I've tried yet. It doesn't have a cut out, true, and I thought I would really notice that but it is engineered with soft memory foam OVER a cut out so it actually softens as you ride it kind of forming to your shape. The sit bone area is really comfortable. I think this is as good as I can get for now. Thanks to those who sent advice. I've also found some fantastic headlamps== expensive but super well designed and unbelievably strong for their size and weight--- made by DiNotte Lighting who are really nice to deal with. Kind of essential item as the light disappears so early now in New England. Definitely buys some time without that mad lung burning race with the sunset!