Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

missing my commute

To disable ads, please log-in.

I went on vacation and did not ride, hurt my knee, just a strain, but the Dr. said rest for 2 weeks. So, its been almost 3 weeks since I've ridden and I'm really missing it. I feel like just going out anyway but I don't really want to mess up my knee. So, here I sit longily looking out my office window at those who can bike. Can't wait till Monday when I can start my commuting again

doesn't "rest your knee" mean take it easy going up hills?
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

Remember, if you have been off for 3 weeks to ease back into your commute. If you have been driving consider taking your bike to work with you, then riding home and back the next morning then driving home the next night, etc. If you've been using public transportation, in most places that is a lot harder. Try very hard not to jump back into the full commute because 3 weeks off means your muscles will have lost some conditioning and won't be able to protect your knee as much. I've been there and know it is hard, but when hurt it is most important to listen to your body not your desires.

Quote Originally Posted by newfsmith View Post
    Remember, if you have been off for 3 weeks to ease back into your commute. If you have been driving consider taking your bike to work with you, then riding home and back the next morning then driving home the next night, etc. If you've been using public transportation, in most places that is a lot harder. Try very hard not to jump back into the full commute because 3 weeks off means your muscles will have lost some conditioning and won't be able to protect your knee as much. I've been there and know it is hard, but when hurt it is most important to listen to your body not your desires.
    Yeah, I'm more the type to just jump in full but the doc picked up on that. He told me to ride one day and rest the next. I figure I'll ride gently one day and take the bus the next. My commute is not very long and it is very flat so I figure I can just spin.

Quote Originally Posted by mimitabby View Post
    doesn't "rest your knee" mean take it easy going up hills?
    Tried that one on the Doc as well....just for clarification

I am also missing my commute. On Sattidy, I came down with a really bad cold, which transmorgaphied into a bad cough. The mister - who has more experience with riding than I, said it's best to wait a cold out and not ride. So, I think I will ride tomorrow but it's been three days. Oy!
    I can do five more miles.