Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by shootingstar View Post

Being car-free for so many years, it's VERY easy for me to justify the cost of my bike(s) against the cost of owning and using a car even for half a year. Or tell people that the I prefer to cycling outdoors vs. plunking down annual membership fee at a fitness club.
    Exactly. I've had my $580 commuter bike for only a couple months (and love it!). When I purchased it I canceled my monthly parking contract since I am now riding to work ($123/mo.), am saving money on gas driving to work and groceries, etc. and canceled my gym membership ($55/mo.). My bike will probably be paid for by the end of this riding season. I wouldn't mind telling people how much it is but would maybe be more hesitant if I had a higher-end bike.

It's so funny this I saw this thread today. Over the weekend my mom was telling me that my parents went to a dinner party with their neighbors and somehow got on the topic of how I just started riding. Turns out, my dad told them all how much I paid for my bike and the brand of bike I have. Of course I was embarrassed because 1) I wasn't even there and 2) most people who aren't involved in cycling may think it's too much to spend on a bike (my parents are in this category). Luckily, one of their neighbors is a cyclist and has heard of my bike so he knew what a great deal we got on it

I'm with the majority of the people above...I'm uncomfortable telling the price unless they are truly interested in buying one for themselves. I felt weird telling my parents but I did and then look what happened!

Quote Originally Posted by melissad View Post
    It's so funny this I saw this thread today. Over the weekend my mom was telling me that my parents went to a dinner party with their neighbors and somehow got on the topic of how I just started riding. Turns out, my dad told them all how much I paid for my bike and the brand of bike I have.
    My mother has done this... "I told my neighbor you spent $2000 on a bicycle! You should have seen the look on her face! Ha Ha Ha! Now she thinks your nuts too."

Luckily after years of therapy and maturing, my mom's antics don't bug me in the least anymore.

"It cost... lots."

Depending on the knowledge level of the person asking, they come up with their own number. Those without much experience guess about $500. The more seasoned folks see the Dura-Ace logos and make up a much higher number.

I was also amused when a coworker picked up my bike to see if it was as light as I said it was. They asked if I had paid full-price for the bike, since obviously they hadn't given me the entire bike.

-- gnat! "What is this, price is right? How much bike do YOU want to pay for?"

Dh and I just bought new bikes to the tune of about $8000. I decided we'd better get a rider on our house insurance to cover it. The rider was going to cost $800 a year. Needless to say we changed companies and now have a no-limit policy. Anyway - I have told a few people what the extra insurance would be - they must really wonder what the bikes are worth!
    It is never too late to be what you might have been. ~ George Elliot

My podcast about being a rookie triathlete:Kelownagurl Tris Podcast

My best friend's son plays guitar, we were at Guitar Center to pick up his new amp. She showed me the sales receipt, expecting me to be shocked at what it cost. I looked at it and remarked "oh, that's what I paid for my bike!" So now she thinks both I and her son are crazy.

Well, I ride a faired recumbent. It's a fairly unique rig, so I'm used to people coming up and asking all sorts of questions. ("Is it easy to ride? Comfy? Fast?" Wow!)

As for them asking the price, that's just part of the interrogation. I tell them that with diligence I've just about gotten the bike up to $3,000. If pressed, I tell them that it's cheaper than a heart attack. Both statements are true, BTW.

I think I'll soon add that the bike cost less than the gas I would have blown driving a car, but only in commuter-type situations.

I don't really mind questions about my bike. It's just a part of riding a 'bent.
    Give big space to the festive dog that make sport in the roadway. Avoid entanglement with your wheel spoke.
    (Sign in Japan)

1978 Raleigh Gran Prix
    2003 EZ Sport AX

Fixie

Well, I ride custom build fixie with Bianchi steel frame which was sold only in Europe 30 years ago. Cost me $500 initially. Since then, I bought fenders, dropdowns, new levers, new chain, new sprockets, several sets of tires etc.

It is funny that the ones who understand bikes usually ask me only if I build the bike myself or how did I get the frame. The ones who don't know anything about bikes, asks about price. People on Manhattan are all about money.

If I don't know them and I don't care about them, I usually say 1200 dollars. Why not? It is probably good estimate of how much money I put into cycling so far. And I am proud of it. Without hesitation I will tell them large sum for what seems to be a beat up bike without gears, because I earned the money by my hard work. I am single, live on Manhattan, and yes, I can afford what I want. Why to be secretive about something I deserve and earned. Thus, if they are rude enough about the price, I make sure to make them feel poor. They deserve it.

Quote Originally Posted by MomOnBike View Post
    I don't really mind questions about my bike. It's just a part of riding a 'bent.
    Ditto that with a Bike Friday (though sometimes the questions are a little inconvenient and/or intrusive...).

CA
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Quote Originally Posted by kelownagirl View Post
    Dh and I just bought new bikes to the tune of about $8000. I decided we'd better get a rider on our house insurance to cover it. The rider was going to cost $800 a year. Needless to say we changed companies and now have a no-limit policy. Anyway - I have told a few people what the extra insurance would be - they must really wonder what the bikes are worth!
    I handled a claim for an insurance company client where there had been (allegedly) stolen bikes. The insureds who had the bikes stolen claimed the replacement value as if each component of the bike had to be purchased separately (right shifter, left shifter, cables, crank, wheel 1, wheel 2, etc.) They had the wrong attorney on the file to pull that sort of thing. I explained to the carrier that it was the equivalent of valuing a car as if you had to build it piece by piece. These may have been $4000 bikes, but they sure weren't $10,000 bikes.
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

I don't like to talk about how much I spent on ANYTHING. I have a couple of friends who (in my opinion) are very nosy and always ask how much stuff cost (and then tell other people). I always fumble my way around the question, and then come up with a snappy response later. I was raised to not talk about such things (including how much money a person makes). One of these friends is always telling me how much he spends on stuff, in a show-offy kind of way (drives me nuts ).

I did run into this question several times over the weekend, since I just bought a new bike Thursday, and Saturday I was hanging around at a local tri that DH was doing. At least those were all bikers, mostly with at least comparable-value bikes. I still weaseled my way out of a direct answer, but some of them got enough info to do the math. Mainly, I pointed out what a great deal I got, and what a great value it was compared to the equivalent bike I always though would be my next.

The first person who asked, though, was one of the college students at work. He asked point-blank. That always startles me. So when he immediately rephrased it as "Can I ask how much it cost?", I grabbed the opportunity to say "Sure, you can ask, buuuuut...." And then said I got a great deal. This kid would think nothing of spending much more on snowmobiles & ATVs & dirt bikes & jet skis (as would a lot of the people in this area), so I guess I should keep that in mind. It boggles my mind how much people spend on motorized toys, but then I've never been into those. Whenever I look at the thousands of dollars worth of bikes and skis in the garage, I tell myself that it is still way cheaper than some of the toys people have.

MomonBike: I love the "cheaper than a heart attack" line! I'll have to remember that one!

I tell them my favorite bike (Univega Grand Turismo purchased in 1986) cost me $230 and I think I've gotten my moneys worth out of it. I tell them my 2007 LeMond Buenos Aires WSD was a lot more.

I had lunch with my best friend today and somehow the topic of bicycles came up in our conversation. I told her my new bike ran me around $2000 and the look on her face was priceless. She simply could not believe I spent that kind of cash on a toy. I smiled and told her it was worth every penny. I also told her that was why it took me so long to decide to purchase a new bike - sticker shock is alive and real in the cycling world.
    Marcie

Quote Originally Posted by sundial View Post
    Oh gosh, I just remembered. Hubby mentioned the Mavics he bought for his zippy bike and his tightwad friend started grilling him about why he even needed those, is it worth the cost, how will it improve the performance.....
    Yes, they're worth it! My crossride rims were a 50th b'day present from Mom, sis (thanks Duck on Wheels) and my LBS. Thanks Duck!

I like them so much I painted the bike to match the logo

On commute inquiries part of that is my 'hood is not the safest in the Bay Area. I love it here, the diversity, the scenery, the greenery, the food and it's handy to everything but .... it can be a little dicey and I work in Oakland so you never know why they are asking.

In general I try to be helpful with questions to the extent I can and not be late for work one guy asked "how much does it cost for a bike no decals? What brand is it?"

I told him to go to my LBS, gave him the name and ask about powdercoating his bike.

But people who ride just know! One of the guys working on my condo saw it and "oh, that's a GT Outpost trail!" If you ride you know this stuff.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

Quote Originally Posted by MomOnBike View Post
    If pressed, I tell them that it's cheaper than a heart attack.
    LOL - I love that statement too. Must remember that one.
    I have a friend who plays golf and who I know has spent a fortune on golf clubs, club membership etc who was shocked by how much my bikes cost. When I mentioned that he spent a fair bit on his beloved golf he said but its just a bike. Hmm I guess for some people bikes will always be things for kids so they can not fathom an adult spending a fair bit of money on one.
    The most effective way to do it, is to do it.
    Amelia Earhart

2005 Trek 5000 road/Avocet 02 40W
    2006 Colnago C50 road/SSM Atola
    2005 SC Juliana SL mtb/WTB Laser V

I am usually an "enough" answer. I was thinking about this this weekend, I have about 4500 miles on my $2000 bicycle. When you look at cost per mile, it really isn't that much, especially when you consider that I will be riding it at least another year before I replace it.