Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hi from New York!

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi everyone!
    I'm a soon to be new rider.... I'm 49 and looking forward to getting a new bike within the next few weeks.
    I'm looking at possibly hybrids, maybe a road bike. I am definitely interested in getting myself back into shape and riding distance, but not racing.
    I've always been active, but in the last year (menopause-yuck!) haven't done a darn thing!
    I am going to start visiting bike shops this weekend, but am open to any and all suggestions for a bike!~
    What a great idea- a bike forum for women- love it!

Hey, I am new to this forum as well. Lots of great information here! Good luck on your bike shopping, hopefully I will get to do that soon as well.

Hi Breana, welcome to the board. What area of NY are you from? When you go to the bike shops, ride every bike you can. hybrid and road. Ride and ride until you think you like some bikes, so you can narrow your selection. Ride some more. Ask questions. What terrain will you be riding will also factor. I ride a road bike even though I will never race. Its easier to roll down the roads (less tire on pavement). I ride anywheres from 18 miles to 100 miles depending on day, time frame, or if there's an event. Good luck shopping and have fun. If you find a bike that you really love, and it's alittle more expensive than what you had planned, ask yourself if you can justify the money in the long run. My first bike, i bought an in between road bike, wasn't sure if i would like riding, would i ride my bike that much and thought i better not spend the extra money just in case. 2 years later, i bought the bike that i probably should've bought the first time. once you start, you can't stop.

Greetings from a fellow New Yorker

Hi Breana,

I'm curious, too, as to where in New York you are. I'm in (this year: very rainy) Niagara County and started riding for just about all of the same reasons that you mentioned (plus knee surgery that severely curtailed power walking/running). Love long rides but not interested in racing, either.

I may not post much, but I do read and have learned a whole lot from the friendly people who post to these forums. It's a great resource.

Welcome!
    Jane

Every human being must be viewed according to what it is good for; for none
    of us, no not one, is perfect; and were we to love none who had
    imperfections, this world would be a desert for our love.

--- Thomas Jefferson

Enjoy the new adventure... You will probably adore biking once you get into it. I want to know what part of NY too. I'm in the city...

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    ....and I'm in Columbia county NY.....
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

And I'm in Albany County!!! So, where are you in NY?

BleeckerSt_Girl, we're almost neighbors

Quote Originally Posted by Iris616 View Post
    And I'm in Albany County!!! So, where are you in NY?

BleeckerSt_Girl, we're almost neighbors
    Yeah, I'm only 40 minute drive SE from Albany!

Wanna come over here and do some beautiful rolling farmland rides sometime, and have lunch at Ralph's Pretty Good Cafe?
    Lisa

Quote Originally Posted by BleeckerSt_Girl View Post
    Yeah, I'm only 40 minute drive SE from Albany!

Wanna come over here and do some beautiful rolling farmland rides sometime, and have lunch at Ralph's Pretty Good Cafe?
    Might be fun in the fall, with all the beautiful foliage! Didn't you say in an earlier post that your town is redoing main St and putting in bike racks? I love small New York villages

Quote Originally Posted by Iris616 View Post
    Might be fun in the fall, with all the beautiful foliage! Didn't you say in an earlier post that your town is redoing main St and putting in bike racks? I love small New York villages
    The sidewalks are pretty much done, the street is open again, but the signposts and trees are not in yet.
    I still have to get some bike rack suggestions together for the Village Board.
    Lisa

Iris and BSG: I am in Saratoga County. There are some great areas to ride up here, I am discovering.

So Breanna, many people are curious; Where are you in NY?

Cyclingnewbie-I love 'Toga. We have close friends there, so I'm there on most weekends. And, it's where I bought my bike. I'm also envious of your "bicycle benefits" program. It's incredible for a small town.

Some of you are practically my neighbors! I grew up in (and now work in) Dutchess County and live in Ulster County.

BleeckerStGirl - I rode your beautiful rolling hills last weekend, in the Harlem Valley Rail Ride.

Welcome, Breana!
    You've already gotten lots of great advice and know what a supportive, fun forum we all have here, so I trust you'll learn lots and enjoy it all!

I'm a native New Yorker - grew up downstate, in Westchester county, and have lived out in the Pacific Northwest for 25 years now (raised my sons here).

I'm headed back next week though, for my 3rd Empire State AIDS ride...from Niagara Falls - lower Manhattan, beginning 8/10.
    Any of you NY TE woman along the route? Check out the site (link is in my signature below) and let me know - would love to see any/all friendly faces along the way and I promise to respond-in-kind!

Tailwinds!
    Mary

Hi from another Dutchess County rider
    Girl meets bike. Bike leads girl to a life of grime: http://mudandmanoloscycling.com/