Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Breakfast

Breakfast

To disable ads, please log-in.

I have to eat a good breakfast before work. I can't snack until 10:30 when the kiddos have recess. I could, but I think it's inappropriate for me to eat when I don't allow them to. My usual breakfast has left me starving at about 9 lately.

Anyway... SadieKate mentioned maple syrup and peanut butter on waffles this weekend. My first thought, sounds kind of sticky. But I gave it a try. It's an interesting combination. I like it. Definitely needs juice with it though.

Hopefully it will have more sticking power.

V.
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

I've always put peanut butter on waffles, and on pancakes too. Don't know about the "sticking" power, but if you eat at the ungodly hour you get up, nothing's going to keep you until 10:30 anyway .

Glad you liked it! I only eat maple syrup in 3 ways -- on waffles, in my mashed sweet potatos and maple sugar candy. Odd, but I don't like the flavor of maple otherwise. Give us a report on the sticking power. I don't usually have waffles except for "special" mornings when sticking power isn't important, like Xmas Day.

i've eaten kashi waffles before.. and they don't "stay" with me.. (that's with either sugar free maple syrup or strawberries and low fat whipped cream) i'm hungry within an hour... the fat of the peanut butter may actually help to keep you from feeling hungry sooner.... one thing that does keep me feeling fuller longer: oatmeal! i read it contains something (wish i could remember what) that did just that... kept you from felling hungry! i've taken to bringing it to work for lunch even and i do go much longer without thinking i need a snack!
    Last edited by caligurl; 03-11-2005 at 07:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica
    Anyway... SadieKate mentioned maple syrup and peanut butter on waffles this weekend. My first thought, sounds kind of sticky. But I gave it a try. It's an interesting combination. I like it. Definitely needs juice with it though.

Hopefully it will have more sticking power.

V.

I eat my pancakes and waffles with maple syrup and peanut butter, too! My dad does it and I eventually caught on. But I wouldn't dare eat that as a regular meal.

I usually have a bowl of Mueslix, a bowl of instant oatmeal, or a bowl of vanilla yoghurt with grapenuts for breakfast, but to be honest, I'm usually hungry pretty soon thereafter. Waffles only happen on the weekends when DH makes 'em!
    monique

Frozen Belgian waffles aren't bad. I'd rather make my own, but who has time on the week days. The waffle itself has 200 calories. We won't talk about how much peanut butter I put on. But I hey I burned over a 1000 calories on my ride yesterday.

I don't usually eat breakfast until about 7. I drink coffee from the time I get up - unless I'm working out, until then. I hope coffee never gets linked to any really bad diseases. And if it has been, don't tell me.

V.

TandemHearts.com

sadie,

Betcha you'd love my maple-date-cream bars.

I have found that when brakfast is not sticking with me long enough that I am short on protein. A hard boiled egg or some cottage cheese added to my normal breakfast (oatmeal) really goes alot farther. The carbs don't stay with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Libre_Ame
    sadie,
    Betcha you'd love my maple-date-cream bars.
    You have a recipe? I'd make them under the guise of a treat for my hubby, but I have to tell you that I think maple cream donuts are disgusting. But, then I like brussel sprouts . I will try anything once . . . well, not bugs. I do try to keep an open mouth, err, mind, where food is the topic, as can be attested to by my hips.

SK

Veronica: I had the same problem with any carb breakfast. Now I eat scrambled egg-whites, 1/3 cup kidney beans and a grapefruit for breakfast and I can go until noon or later before I'm hungry. I was told by my Dr I don't process the glutons in carbs right which is why I felt "hungry" even to the point of my stomache growling about 1 1/2 - 2 hrs after I ate. Same problem with just fruit as a snack. She told me to eat a protein, a vegetable, and a fruit with every meal. Since I've done that, I don't have the snacky hungries anymore and I lost 50 lbs. I also have lots of energy and feel Great. I did have to start including some carbs into my meals but the legumes, 2 6" tortillas or 1 cup of cooked pasta seem to do the trick. I did try oatmeal recently and I was fine the first few days I ate it for breakfast, but then the hungries came back. I even tried adding legumes to my oatmeal and limiting the serving size from 1/2 cup to 1/3 cup but it was just too much gluton. I might be able to eat oatmeal once in a while, but not every day. Anyway, hope it helps!
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming: "Yeah Baby! What a Ride!"

My power food for big ride days:

7-grain (or more) cut cereal (not rolled like traditional oatmeal) with added sliced almonds and raisins. Might eat a hard-boiled egg if ride start time isn't until late in the morning.

I must have carbs or my glycogen stores poop out. I need a small amount of protein and lots of high fiber carbs. Your stomach takes longer to digest fiber so unprocessed cut-grain cereals are far more nutritional with even a bit more protein than regular oatmeal. Plus, you can have a lot of good stuff like flax seed in there. Add some nuts and fruit, and you've got a good ride day meal that is easily digestible and sticks to your ribs.

I'm looking for a good mix of carbs and protein in my breakfast cereal, along with what I consider to be a reasonable amount of fiber. So my usual breakfast bowl contains Kashi Go Lean and (Kellogg) All Bran Buds topped with fruit and 1% milk. The fruit depends on season - my preference is bananas and blueberries and strawberries, but the berries can be a problem in the off season. I've been told both that I'm a bit weird and that my off-season substitution is a lot weird, but I've found that grapes work well - so in the winter my cereal is often topped with banana slices and grapes.

If I want something else to top off all of that cereal and fruit, my choice is often a toasted frozen waffle topped with natural (grind-your-own) peanut butter.

It's funny, but I absolutely hated peanut butter when I was growing up - and I can't get enough of it now. Of course that could be the comparison with the processed packaged peanut butter and freshly ground nothing added peanut butter!
    www.denisegoldberg.com

• Click here for links to journals and photo galleries from my travels on two wheels and two feet.
    • Random thoughts and experiences in my blog at denisegoldberg.blogspot.com

"To truly find yourself you should play hide and seek alone."
    (quote courtesy of an unknown fortune cookie writer)

Well, I wasn't hungry at 9 today like I have been. I need breakfast to be quick and easy for me, so I'm going to keep having this for awhile.

Two big globs of peanut butter - the natural low sodium stuff, chunky - seemed to work. If I gain weight I'll blame on that.

V.
    Last edited by Veronica; 03-11-2005 at 01:13 PM.

TandemHearts.com

granola with yogurt stays with me, much better than cereal and milk.

Irulan
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

big bowl of mueslix ceral the raisin and almond one. with one banana sliced in and about 1/2 c or more (who measures anything?) of frozen blueberries (they are in season for such a short time here....and the frozen seem to be fine! I do have stay bundled up while eating to not get too cold, tho!) and I use soy milk. I eat at about 7:00 (after the dogs and cats have finished), and my next snack is usually no sooner than 10:30, sometimes I go right til noon if I'm busy and in a good mood. I admit that I must drink water and tea during that time, though. Can you drink in class? the type of tea I drink makes a huge difference on how snacky I feel! I tried the stash chai varieties (no milk or sugar or anything in my tea ever). they make me snack. red tea (rooibis), herbal blends like tazo's zen and green and white tea keep me satisfied with no snack impulse.

getting a good dose of strep throat can really whack your appetite. I can't believe how little desire I have to eat. I hope that part lasts a good long time. I wouldn't be sad to have a lower appetite all the time!

Namaste,
    ~T~