Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Recipes for cyclists

To disable ads, please log-in.

At 30 calories per mile and say 90 calories per truly decadent cookie, the BJ TE group has earned the right to eat 11,000 * 30 / 90 =~ 3,600 = > 300 dozen cookies, so LET THE BAKING BEGIN!

I've copied the first recipe into this thread, everyone feel free to contribute your favorites...

from slinkedog:

That's funny about his fascinating bruise. My husband, Blaine, broke his collarbone in a track race about 9 years ago and still has a scar that is bruised (and probably always will be) on his shoulder where he impacted. Bruises be nasty.

Okay, here's the recipe out of Cook's Illustrated's latest issue (please excuse typos):

1 1/4 C all purpose flour
    3/4 tsp. baking powder
    1/2 tsp. baking soda
    1/2 tsp. table salt
    1 1/4 C old-fashioned rolled oats
    1 C pecans, toasted and chopped
    1 C (5 oz.) dried sour cherries, chopped coarse
    4 oz. bittersweet chocolate, chopped into chunks (about 3/4C)
    12 T unsalted butter, softened but still cool
    1 1/2 C packed brown sugar, preferrably dark
    1 large egg
    1 tsp. vanilla extract

1. Adjust oven racks to upper- and lower-middle positions; heat oven to 350. Line 2 large 18 by 12 inch baking sheets with parchment paper.

2. Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in medium bowl. In second medium blowl, stir together oats, pecans cherries and chocolate.

3. In standing mixer fitted with flat beater, beat butter and sugar at med. speed until no sugar lumps remain, about 1 minute. Scrape down sides of bowl with rubber spatula; add egg and vanilla and beat on medium-low speed until fully incorporated, about 30 seconds. Scrape down bowl; with mixer running at low speed, add flour mixture; mix until just combined, about 30 seconds. With mixer still running on low, gradually add oat/nut mixture; mix until just incorporated. Give dough final stir with rubber spatula to ensure that no flour pockets remain and ingredients are evenly distributed.

4. Divide dough evenly into 16 portions, each about 1/4 C, then roll between palms into balls about 2" in diameter; stagger 8 balls on each baking sheet, spacing them about 2 1/2" apart. Using hands, gently press each dough ball to 1" thickness. Bake both baking sheets 12 minutes, rotate them front to back and top to bottom, then continue to bake until cookies are medium brown and edges have begun to set but centers are still soft (cookies will seem underdone and appear raw, wet and shiny in cracks), 8 to 10 minutes longer. Do not overbake.

5. Cool cookies on baking sheets on wire rack 5 minutes; using wide spatula , transfer cookies to wire rack and cool to room temperature

Spazz's GORP

I make GORP... now I know there are inumerable recipes for GORP, but this is what I used for running and this is what I use for biking:
    ***not for people with nut allergies***

GORP for 2

2 x ziplok sandwich bags
    2 Very Berry Powerbars (pick flavor of choice)
    2 ind bags regular M&M
    2 ind bags peanut M&M
    1/4 cup each baggie mixed nuts
    1/4 cup each baggie favorite granola-like cereal (I use Great Grains)
    1 regular sized PayDay candy bar (or your favorite candy bar).

-Cut Powerbar into 1 in. cubes, roll btn palms to make balls, put 1 cut up bar in each baggie
    -add to each baggie 1 bag reg M&M, 1 bag peanut M&M, 1/4 cup mixed nuts,1/4 cup cereal, 1/2 PayDay sliced into bite size bits

Shake and throw in the fridge... before ride take it out of fridge and shove it in a jersey pocket.

And that's how I came to CA and rode 50 miles when I hadn't been on my bike since last summer.

spazz
    no regrets!

My ride: 2003 Specialized Allez Comp - zebra (men's 52cm), Speedplay X5 pedals, Koobi Au Enduro saddle

Spazzdog Ink Gallery
    http://www.printroom.com/pro/gratcliff

Yummy, yummy-I need to try those recipes ASAP! The recipe I'm posting is really good, although when my husband first read the ingredients he didn't want anything to do with them, now he can't stop eating them (he thought they were too healthy sounding).

1.5 cup whole wheat flour
    1tsp. baking powder
    1 teaspoon cinammon
    .25 teaspoon nutmeg
    1.5 cups rolled oats
    1 cup chopped almonds (or other nut)
    .25 cup chopped dried apricots
    5 oz. silken tofu
    .25 cup water
    1 cup olive oil
    1 cup brown sugar
    2 tablespoons vanilla
    If you're feeling spunky a handful of carob or chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 375
    Mix first part of ingredients (up to apricots)
    In seperate bowl smash the tofu and add the remaining ingredients

Fold wet into dry, then place on pan

Enjoy!

cook for how long ma'am?
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming: "Yeah Baby! What a Ride!"

Question Head tilting... like a dogs response to high feq.

Cookies???

Me want cookies!!!!!!!!!!!
    Oatmeal,walnut,and Chocolate Chip
    Any one have a good recipe for that??????

Yummy!

Like mine chewy.....you?
    Last edited by AutumnBreez; 04-19-2005 at 09:48 PM.
    Holistic Health Coach and Licensed Massage Therapist
    http://mandalatree.healthcoach.integ...nutrition.com/

Biking Pancakes

When we made major life style changes (which brought dh and I to our passion for cycling!) I needed to make changes to our favorite week-end pre-ride breakfast ... pancakes. DH was a real trooper while I substituted and experimented but has declared this his favorite:

1-1/4 cups quick cooking oatmeal
    1 cup plain fat-free yogurt
    1 cup skim milk
    1 package Splenda (or 1 teaspoon sugar or honey)
    1/4 cup soy flour (white flour can be substituted)
    1/4 cup whole wheat flour
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/2 cup egg substitute (or 2 large eggs, beaten)
    1/4 cup chopped walnuts
    Cooking Spray

In a large bowl, combine oats, plain yogurt, milk and Splenda. Stir in flours, baking soda and salt. Add egg substitute and mix well. Add chopped walnuts. Batter will be thick.

Heat a large non-stick skillet or griddle over a medium heat. If needed, spray pan with cooking spray. Spoon about 1/4 cup batter onto hot griddle for each pancake. Cook until bottoms are browned and bubbles on top start to pop (about 3 minutes). Flip and cook until other side is browned (about 2 minutes). Repeat.

DH enjoys his pancakes with sugar-free syrup ... I love them topped with sliced banana, vanilla fat-free yogurt (we love Blue Bunny Lite 85 yogurt) and topped with a sprinkling of grape nuts or granola. This really gets my furnace stoked for a day of biking. These pancakes are also delicious topped with fresh fruit.

Enjoy!
    On Yer Bike!

Monster Cookies

Quote Originally Posted by AutumnBreez
    Me want cookies!!!!!!!!!!!
    Oatmeal,walnut,and Chocolate Chip
    Any one have a good recipe for that??????
    Here's my fave with those ingredients. I usually bring them along for ski trips and have occasionally made them for cycling outings. I'm hoping to have time to make a batch to bring along on our Tour de Georgia outing this weekend. It make a lot of cookies so you can half the recipe if you want.

Monster Cookies

6 eggs
    1.5 lbs peanut butter
    1 tsp corn syrup
    1.5 cups white sugar
    1.5 cups brown sugar
    1 cup butter, softened
    1/4 tsp salt
    1 tsp vanilla
    1 cup flour
    9 cups oatmeal
    4 tsp baking soda
    8 oz plain M&Ms
    8 oz choc chips
    1 cup nuts

Mix eggs, peanut butter, corn syrup, sugars and butter. Add salt, vanilla and mix.

Add flour, oats and baking soda and mix well. Add M&Ms, chocolate chips and nuts. Drop by tablespoonful on ungreased cookie sheets.

Bake at 325 degrees for 12 minutes or until brown.

Thumbs up Monster Cookies

Me make for me monster family this week. Thanks so much for cookie recipe skibum! Yumm so delish sounding..

I will also make some no bake chocolate cookies...

Here is recipe...Me Grandma monster used to make these for us lil ones.

NO BAKE CHOCOLATE COOKIES

In medium sized sauce pan:
    2c. sugar
    1/2 c. milk
    1/2 c. shortning (or 1 stick butter)
    2 squares of chocolate (semi sweet) or 1/3 c. chips
    1/4 tsp. salt
    1 tsp. vanilla

Bring all of the above to a hard boil over medium heat. Let mixture boil for one minute then remove from heat and add the following:

1/2 c. peanut butter (your pref. crunchy or smooth)
    3 c. oatmeal (quick oats)
    Holistic Health Coach and Licensed Massage Therapist
    http://mandalatree.healthcoach.integ...nutrition.com/

Thumbs up Slinkedog's cookie recipe

I'm eating one right now -- and the verdict is: YUMMMM!

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm and that looks like one I can convert to my dietary restrictions!
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming: "Yeah Baby! What a Ride!"

Grape Nuts Carb Bars....

Got this off the cereal box several years ago ...

Grape Nuts Carb Bars

1 cup light corn syrup

1 cup sugar

3/4 cup reduced fat peanut butter (I use natural pb - no sugar or shortening)

4 cups grape nuts cereal

(I also add 1/2 cup each of mini chocolate chips and/or dried currants (or chopped raisins), I like the small pieces with the texture of the grape-nuts)

Microwave corn syrup, sugar & peanut butter in a large microwavable bowl on HIGH 3 minutes, or just until mixture boils, stirring every minute. Add cereal (here's where I add the chocolate chips & currants too). Mix to coat well.

Press firmly into a foil-lined 13 x 9 inch pan which has been sprayed lightly with non-stick spray.

Cool completely. Cut into bars.

Makes 30.

nutritional information without my "edits" or "additions": 150 calories, 2.5 g fat (0.5 g saturated), 0 mg cholesterol, 150 mg sodium, 2 g fiber, 14 g sugars, 14 g other carb, 3 g protein.

Hey CoolBeans!

Can you use regular Skippy or Jif (extra crunchy )?
    no regrets!

My ride: 2003 Specialized Allez Comp - zebra (men's 52cm), Speedplay X5 pedals, Koobi Au Enduro saddle

Spazzdog Ink Gallery
    http://www.printroom.com/pro/gratcliff

Smile re: No Bakes ...

Those are my DH's absolute favorites! (and he normally doesn't like oatmeal LOL)....

My cousin makes them too - only her name for them was "cow plops" (when I make them, they are small - like the size of a chocolate-covered cherry, but when she made them, they were big, like hamburger patties!)

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!

Hey Susan/Jeff... I just got done eating one, too!! They're all gone 'cuz I handed most of them out last night, but at least I got 3!!!