Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Question Road handlebar angst

To disable ads, please log-in.

After deliberation and much trying out of bikes, I have determined that I would be happier with a shallow drop, classic round bend handlebar. I would also enjoy a wing top. It should be inexpensive too.

The only bar I've seen that has all of this is the FSA Wing Pro Compact. See: http://www.competitivecyclist.com/ro...3_28_TRUE.html

Only one problem... I love my 17 degree rise stem, but it has a 26.0 clamp, and the handlebar only comes in 31.8. The simple solution is to just bite the bullet and get a new stem too. However, this is absolutely not going to fly with DH. Even a new handlebar is pushing it. I do ride fine with what I have... not like I'm in pain or anything. This is definitely more of a want than a need.

Soooooo... thought I'd ask all you brilliant ladies if you know of a classic bend, shallow drop bar that comes in a 26.0. Much Googling has gotten me nowhere.

Thanks!

Deda 215 shallow:
    http://www.dedaelementi.com/En/Produ...ctIDMaster=379
    (I think this is the 26.0 version of the Newton bar).

Only problem (which may not be a problem for you) is that the smallest available size is 42cm o-o (which is a 40cm bar measured in the more standard way).

Very light, and pretty too.

I just got the FSA wing pro compact last night at my fitting and it's awesome! Might be worth the stem swap. They sell a ton at that shop because it really is a great bar. For sizing, it's measured at the drops, but the hoods are about 2cm closer together- I'm a 38 shoulder but got the 40.

Thanks guys!

Liza: Don't know how I missed that. I currently use a Deda Piega in a 42, so I bet that bar would work great. There's even one my size on Ebay right now. Keeping an eye on it...

Mayanorange: Yeah, it does look like a sweet bar. I will consider just waiting until I can justify it along with a new stem. Like I said, there is no hurry... I just love obsessing over these little details.

I have the FSA Wing Pro compact bar too. I did not know the the hood measurement was narrower, so I ordered a 38. It's actually alright for me, but I think I'd prefer the 40... always something to change, right? It's ok for now but I might get a larger bar down the road.

Other than that, it's a nice bar. The shape of the drops is very comfortable, and, although I don't use the tops very often, the wing shape is really, really nice.

I held that bar in my hands today and it is calling to me!!! Liza, that was your first suggestion when I was going through bar angst a while ago.

i got shims on my brake levers (yay!)

As soon as I figure out my best stem angle* (I've got an adjustable now) I'm ready to get a 31.8 stem so I can get that bar...it's perfect!! (the FSA wing pro compact)

There is one called shallow..that's a different bar from the compact it seems...is it?

*how DOES one figure out which stem to buy?
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

Quote Originally Posted by elk View Post
    *how DOES one figure out which stem to buy?

The people who care about style will tell you to pick a stem from the same manufacturer as the bar (Deda bar? Deda stem. FSA bar? FSA stem). It's as silly as any other style rule, but honestly, it's as good a criterion as any -- otherwise there are lots of choices that are all equally good, and there's really no non-arbitrary way to choose between them.

Then just pick the lightest stem your budget will allow, that comes in the angle you need.

**I bought an FSA OS-99 stem to go with my Wing Pros. However, I did need a longer stem. If the stock stem had been the right length, I would NOT have bought a new one just to match the brands.

i meant more in terms of length and angle....

I just angled my adjustable up a few cm and will try that. It was straight before and I've been having a bit of wrist pain.

I also noticed that I frequently have my hands a iittle behind the hoods...

Can you have a fitting done at the shop? That way they can try some different stems on during the fitting, and have you pedal for a little while on the trainer and see what feels best.

i was afraid that was the answer!!! not really really afraid....

i stayed up late looking at Ritchey and Thomson stems........

i stayed up late looking at Ritchey and Thomson stems........
    Do you already have an idea of what angle (on your adjustable stem) makes you feel more comfortable?

Quote Originally Posted by TxDoc View Post
    Do you already have an idea of what angle (on your adjustable stem) makes you feel more comfortable?
    I've been riding at 90...just moved it to about 10 and I'll try that for awhile.

I WILL reign in that rare but stubborn trickle of impulsiveness I have.
    unless i find the bar at a great price....

I've been riding at 90...just moved it to about 10 and I'll try that for awhile.
    90... you mean zero, aka horizontal, right?

And which bar at a great price are you thinking of the FSA bar, the wing pro?
    Last edited by TxDoc; 08-14-2008 at 12:15 PM. Reason: edited type-o

yes to both.
    horizontal...
    and the FSA wing pro compact in size 40 alloy...

Ahi, too bad I don't have that one, I'm trying to keep cleaning the closet and adding bars to the free gear section

So, let's see if we can figure out something more about the wrists... you've been riding with a 100mm stem @ 0 degrees, and now you are trying 10. Where exactly was the wrist pain, and did you feel it more when riding on the hoods, on the top, or in the drops?