Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

first ride on a mountain bike trail

To disable ads, please log-in.

yesterday I had a couple of hours in the morning (took the day off work) and wanted to try out the new gary fisher wahoo on a real mountain bike trail. I'd looked at maps of several in the area and decided on stinging nettle trail, because it was rated beginner-intermediate. Also rain was forecasted, and it's pretty sandy there.
    It stormed all night and there was a constant drizzle the next day, but I went anyway. I'm a little nervous to be by myself, but in a way I was glad there was not another soul out there. One of my biggest worries was that I'd be holding other riders up.
    I had an easy 2-3 miles on gravel (al foster trail) to get to stinging nettle trail . It was pretty washed out from flooding, and there were some down trees and water across the trail in places. It was VERY muddy. All of the down trees had well worn trails around them, and I rode over the downed limbs I came across. The first steep incline I came to, I decided to walk the bike down- it was almost straight down. Big mistake- my bike had better traction than I did. Me and the bike went sliding down in the mud- it was like crisco or something. AFter that, I rode down them, slipping and sliding. But going up was another matter- I couldn't make it all the way to top, so would get muddy falling and slipping to push the bike over the top. Other than a few really steep drops and climbs, it was just dirt single track, with a stretch of "rocks' that looked like broken up cement. I rode through all the water, except one really deep on that I made it almost all the way across and had to put a foot down just on the other side- it was halfway up to my knee.
    I ran out of time before I ran out of trail and had to start back, I think it was about 7 miles total because of the ride on al foster trail to get there.
    I had a blast. I was wet and muddy head to toe, and my bike was very muddy too. Despite sliding down one hill on the deralleur side, it changed gears flawlessly. However, I understand disc brakes on mountaing bikes now, after listening and feeling my sandy brakes trying to work (they worked, but I could feel the grit). I also understand hydration packs- my water bottle was covered with mud.
    I can't wait to go back, when it's a little drier.
    I hosed my bike off and dried it with a towel, anything else I should be doing after it's first adventure?
    thanks
    vickie

Probably relube your chain and check the chain for rust. If your bottom bracket was under water, you might want to pay very careful attention to it.

Sounds like you have been bitten by the bug!!! Your profile doesn't say where you live, but are you aware that riding muddy trails can be very destructive to them? Not try to slam you, just hoping for education. Every community has different attitudes towards this. You might check with your local club about their suggestions for how many days to wait for things to dry out when it's "crisco like mud". I know when conditions are really goopy around here, it's tough to have to wait it out until the trails are ready.

congrats on breaking the new bike in properly - on the dirt!!

Stinging Nettle is part of Castlewood State Park. This is outside of St. Louis. This trail is right along the Meramec River and tends to retain water making it very muddy in puddles. This is a fun trail and I would rate it at a beginning level. If you get more adventurous, go over to the main parking lot at Castlewood. Try the Love trail - this is a little bit more challenging than Stinging Nettle.

Oh, one more thing, definitely apply some lube onto your chain.

thanks
    it was recommended by a guy at work, I don't think he's been out there much because he didn't know the names of the trails, but thought since it tended to be sandy it wouldn't rut much. I kept checking and I wasn't leaving ruts in the trail itself, although I did leave gouges in almost every steep part- that was my elbows and knees, no tire ruts because the bike was on it's side. I saw some hoof prints but even they hadn't sunk in deep.
    I'd like to try it when it's drier, because I'm definitely not ready for anything more complicated. Next time I might try riding to castlewood by starting on al foster, and just staying on it when it turns to stinging nettle. I think I turned around where it has the trail to the cement plant (or something like that), but I went out on stinging nettle loop, and came back where it turns into al foster trail again.
    I'm a golf widow today, so have the boy. We tried riding the 2 mile paved loop in rte 66 state park, and he had to stop for every single bug we saw, so although it was a looong ride, it was only 2 miles. I can't wait to get out on the mountain bike again.
    My husband worried about me riding the trails alone, have there been any problems with the castlewood trails? I know al foster trail passes through some real backwoods type backyards of houses along there, but there seem to be lots of families on the trails. I've heard of cars being broken into at the parking areas for the katy trail, but nothing around castlewood or al foster.
    I saw the trailhead for chubb trail- no way, not yet.
    vickie

Vickie - I do ride those trails often by myself. I haven't heard of any issues out on them with weirdos.

The thing with trying to go from Stinging Nettle to Castlewood is that you have to go through some railroad private property. Technically this would mean trespassing to get there. You didn't hear it from me that folks go through there all of the time. The illegal section is also very washed out from all of the flooding. You would probably want to walk your bike through that section.

I've ridden Castlewood by myself and had a blast! I understand about being alone on those trails, but really, Castlewood seemed just fine. Lions Club too. I did, however, attempt Mark Twain by Newburg and changed my mind. It seemed creepy to me. Give me a holler if you want to try them with me. I'm absolutely no good at them, so you'll be totally comfortable with my "expertise".lol
    Claudia

2009 Trek 7.6fx
    2013 Jamis Satellite
    2014 Terry Burlington

good to know about castlewood.
    I'd love to have some company riding the lion's club trail, that's my plan next weekend when I make my weekly trip to rolla.
    All I know about mountain bike riding is that I'm no good in the mud.
    But the bike feels and handles really good!
    I've instructed the golfer to come straight home after work tomorrow morning (he works at a golf course, so sunday work usually also involves playing golf afterwards) , so I can try al foster and stinging nettle again, if it's not raining. Hoping it dried out some today.
    vickie

Lion's Club next weekend sounds good! Let me know if you want to do it and when. I've wanted to try the Al Foster trail, but alas, not this weekend. I'm choreographing for fine arts camp in Jeff City. No time for bikes.
    Last edited by uforgot; 07-26-2008 at 06:48 PM.
    Claudia

2009 Trek 7.6fx
    2013 Jamis Satellite
    2014 Terry Burlington

today I went to al foster trail again. It was hot, but still seemed to be lots of mud. But before I got to the part where al foster joins stinging nettle, I ran over some dog poop and splashed it all over my leg and my bike. I got the clumps off with a stick, and poured some water on my leg so I didn't have to smell it the whole ride.
    I stayed on the upper part of stinging nettle- I had my hands full just with the mud there, didn't want to try the steep parts and dips combined with the mud again. I ended up over at castlewood, on river scene trail. I did walk the part along the river- with the steep dropoff on one side and I've discovered I have a tendency to fall over in mud, I didn't risk it. I rode around river scene trail, just to kinda get a alook at castlewood, then headed back. When the trail got real close to the river, I laid my bike down and waded out into the river to get my head wet, and wash off my leg better.
    I rode the rest of way soaking wet, but it felt good. I got muddy after that anyway. My bike was covered with mud again, I think I'll let it dry and brush it off today. Lots of people on the trail today- more hikers than anything else.
    saw a great place to take the dogs sometime where they can play in the water at castlewood. Next time I think I'll try parking at castlewood and checking out any easy trails there, hopefully with less mud. The castlewood trails seemed very sandy.
    vickie

Quote Originally Posted by Irulan View Post
    . If your bottom bracket was under water, you might want to pay very careful attention to it.
    If you can, remove the seat post from the tube, turn the bike upside down and let any water drain.
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

thanks, zen, I just went out and did that. I dried off the chain and bike is out in the hot sun to make sure it dries completely (where I couldn't get with the towel).
    Here's my chocolate bike after today- not as muddy as friday, but still quite a cleaning job ahead of me!
    vickie
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mudbike1.jpg 
Views:	222 
Size:	160.9 KB 
ID:	6634  

foothills of the Ozarks aka Tornado Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by fastdogs View Post
    I hosed my bike off and dried it with a towel, anything else I should be doing after it's first adventure?
    Yeah, take pictures! You had a respectable amount of mud on you and your bike. I'm jealous that you had so much fun in the mud.

Another yay for Castlewood. I know you're really really psyched to be mountain biking and I'm always psyched to see another chick out there but please please please wait until it's drier. I doubt you on your own are doing much damage but when you consider how much dirt you are bringing home and then the number of other people who are tempted to ride and bring home same you can prolly see how that would affect the trail. I'd sure hate to see trails closed off to bikes.

Once you get comfortable with a little singletrack (and we finally dry out) you could also try the Love trail as has been mentioned or the lower part of Chub trail from the parking lot by the train tracks over to the hill that would take you to Lone Elk or Lost Valley or Brommelsiek or even Queeny Park's outer loop. Some of these trails dry a lot quicker than those floody river bottoms trails do. Also, I haven't had a chance to ride with them in the woods but the St. Louis Adventure group rides Castlewood on wednesday eves and some profess to be beginners. GORC- Gateway off road cycling- does some beginner rides too.

Remember, horses and hikers have the right of way. Pass sensibly. If you ever see a chick on a mtb tandem with a little kid say hi and join us if you want. We don't care about speed (we aren't all that fast anyways) so long as we're having fun and we don't care if you have to walk some stuff either, we all did our share of that and still do, in some spots!
    I used to have an open mind but my brains kept falling out.

Quote Originally Posted by Irulan View Post
    Sounds like you have been bitten by the bug!!! Your profile doesn't say where you live, but are you aware that riding muddy trails can be very destructive to them? Not try to slam you, just hoping for education. Every community has different attitudes towards this. You might check with your local club about their suggestions for how many days to wait for things to dry out when it's "crisco like mud". I know when conditions are really goopy around here, it's tough to have to wait it out until the trails are ready.

congrats on breaking the new bike in properly - on the dirt!!
    This isn't a slam at all. Our trails aren't closed on muddy days as they are at some parks and there's not much in signage to let beginners know so they have to get the information somehow. What better way than a board of friendly, sometimes been there done that-don't make my mistake, mtb'er chicks?
    I used to have an open mind but my brains kept falling out.

thanks for the tips, I definitely don't want to ruin any trails for others.
    I'm trying to stick with real beginner trails, and only know of stinging nettle and river scene trail, in the castlewood area. I guess over towards greensfelter park there are a couple that are supposed to be "easy", but I'm suspicious- I've hiked with the dogs on greensfelter and it's even hard to walk there with the hills and rocks, much less ride. It's also muddy there a lot.
    Al foster is about 45 minutes from me, and with my 90 mile commute I'm probably not going to be going during the week- I'll just ride around my little trail here at home.
    They make tandem mountain bikes? I've got one of those trail a bikes, but my 4 year old still can't reach the pedals on it, and he's too slow on his little 16" bike with training wheels. We ride rte 66 state park sometimes, and it's best for me to be walking with the dogs rather than on a bike. He makes lots of stops for bugs.
    I yield right of way to everyone. If it's narrow I stop and get off the trail, and smile at them and say hi.
    If you see an old fat woman with a beautiful brown bike crawling out of the stinging nettles, that's me.
    vickie