Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean

Any of you use ground public transportation?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Just curious..if with or without bike, you use ground public transportation?

If yes, how often and for what purpose?

If no, is it because you don't have a good public transport options nearby or you can do everything you need by car /bike?

Folks, like me forget that some people might use ground public tranportation... maybe only every few years.

Jolt is offline Dodging the potholes...
    Yes, I use the commuter rail and the T to get to school in Boston (depending on the semester it has been 3-5 days a week). It makes a lot more sense than driving because of the price of gas/parking and the fact that I can get reading done on the train as opposed to having all that unproductive time in the car. Plus, it pollutes less. I do have to say that the commuter rail line I use needs to expand service, and it would also be nice if they added capacity for bikes during peak hours (bikes currently not allowed on trains during peak hours because there's just not enough room). Then if I could only get up the guts to try riding in Boston...
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

I use our city's light rail if I'm going downtown. I avoid having to park, not to mention driving after an evening of partying.

I am, however, a bus virgin. I keep checking out the routes to work, one of these days I'll actually do it.

I take the commuter train (I guess it's "heavy" rail) to work w/ a bus shuttle to and from the work site,
    It's about the same , (faster in the morning, slower in evening(but not much)) as driving, but less stress
    Last edited by Fredwina; 07-27-2008 at 10:31 AM.

yep

We do

I think the trains in Perth are pretty good! You can't take your bike on the train during peak hours but that doesn't bother me.

i take buses when i am too tired to ride or it's rainy or i'm lazy or a hurry.
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

Our bus routes don't reach most of the city (Omaha). They seem to think everyone works downtown too, so if I were to walk to the nearest stop about a mile away, I would have to change busses twice to travel four miles to the closest point to my job. Then a two mile walk from there towork.

I suppose I could do it but it's very time consuming and inconvenient.

We are currently selling our second car as we haven't touched it in months. The other car gets driven mostly on weekends when we go camping, visiting, need the room to haul things or just can't deal with the "public" part of public transit.

We take the bus most days to work otherwise we ride our bikes or motorcycles. We have to pay to park at work ($10/day, $200 month) so the discounted transit pass is way cheaper by far at $11/biweekly. It also covers the light rail and the streetcar (which also have bike racks). The cool thing is, since we are a major employer in Portland, we have expresses running quite regularly right up to the door and all around the hospital campus. Even Vancouver, WA has expresses to work. A majority of the employees take mass transit no matter where they live, at least part of the way. They've certainly made it easy to do so. As Jolt said, we read on the way or nap or...
    Anytime we decide to go into Portland city (we live about 15 miles out), the airport, college... we always take a mix of bus and light rail. No worrying about finding a parking space, getting the car dinged, stolen, broken into,... One of the biggest reasons I moved here last year. Well, besides the bike friendly attitude and, of course, my DW.
    Although, I must say, overall,we both would rather live in Eugene, OR. Their transit system is great too. The difference is, it's a small city/college town that has endless bike/walking paths that are totally useable to go anywhere you need to, not just to loop through a park, like here. And - it's blissfully flat!!!!!

X-onelesscarmostofthetime-rayted
    Oh, that's gonna bruise...
    Only the suppressed word is dangerous. ~Ludwig Börne

I will be taking the commuter rail to my classes in Cambridge starting in September (a different line than Jolt). There's no parking at all in Porter Square and the university highly discourages people from taking their cars. However, there's no student discount for the commuter rail, only for trolleys, buses, commuter boats. I felt a little weird about asking about the student pass at my age, but, I figured what the heck? The train home leaves at the same time as my last class ends, so I am going to try to get permission to leave 5 minutes early (the station is next door to the building where I will be). Otherwise, I will be hanging around an extra hour and 15 minutes, since it becomes off peak time, after 6:30PM.
    The good thing is, the train station is 5 miles from my house and the local grocery store lets people park in their lot; otherwise, there's like ten spaces by the station. Parking at the local commuter rail stations is a real problem in the suburbs here. There just isn't enough space.

I ride to the bus (6-15 miles, depending on which bus I want to catch) on the days I don't ride all the way into Providence.

RIPTA buses all have racks - room enough for two bikes. The closer bus (6 miles from my house) already has two committed commuters who get on the bus (and take both rack spots) a few stops before mine. So if I use this bus, I have to lock my bike at the bus stop. If I go for the other bus, there's usually room for my bike.

RIPTA recently experienced a huge budget problem. Most of their revenue comes from the state in the form of gas tax revenue. So obviously, their income dropped this year. Combine this with a huge increase in ridership due to gas prices going up, and RIPTA has a problem. Now they say they will have to cut some longer routes - and both buses I can catch are being reviewed!

Ironic!
    I can do five more miles.

Not available where I live in Ohio.

Where I live in Florida, within my town it's just as easy to bike. To go to the next town (20 miles) would be a 2 hour bus trip with 2 transfers. I could tighten that up a little by biking some of the way, but there are no safe biking routes at most of my ultimate destinations in the next town.

When visiting Europe, DC or NYC we always use public transport. The latter two cities are frequent destinations (family nearby); other US cities, we're not so familiar with the public transportation network, also more likely to have a rental car, so somewhat less likely to use public transport.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I would use public transportation if it was available. There's nothing up here.

Slightly on a tangent... I can't believe there's not a commuter train between San Francisco and Tahoe. There's a train that goes to Sacramento and then you have to take a local bus to San Fran. It takes about 7 hours (vs 4 in a car).

I ride the bus to and from work every day. When I lived in Hoboken I would take the ferry across the Hudson to NYC to work. I've had two jobs that I had to drive to in my entire adult life, and I avoid it like the plague. When we move, public transportation is one of the primary things we look at.

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Part of my bike commuting route is parallel, to the aboveground light rapid transit train. Yes, it's easy to whimp out when it suddenly pours....

In Toronto, I lived for 14 yrs., 1/2 block away from a subway station in the suburbs. But during non snow/ice-seasons I biked to and from work 3-4 times per week where work was located downtown.

Took city buses most of my life before cycling and also during , though at different times I lived so close that I just walked. Walking was 1-3 kms. However it nearly boggles my mind that during first 2 yrs. of university I actually walked 16 kms. round trip daily with my heavy knapsack of books. And often enough in snowy season, wearing a heavy long wool coat.

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    Quote Originally Posted by shootingstar View Post
    Just curious..if with or without bike, you use ground public transportation?
    If yes, how often and for what purpose?
    If no, is it because you don't have a good public transport options nearby or you can do everything you need by car /bike?
    Folks, like me forget that some people might use ground public tranportation... maybe only every few years.
    What, exactly, do you mean by public ground transportation? When I think of "ground transportation" I think of the shuttle van that takes you from an airport terminal to the long-term parking lot at the airport. When I think "public transportation" I think of bus, subway, light and heavy rail.
    Are you saying for work commuting, or for any transportation needs?
    I have used all of the above - as I described them - mainly for work. The metro-D.C. area has some pretty good bus and rail networks. Often the source of public scorn and ire, but I find they are generally okay. If I am not riding my bike to work, I take the subway (that runs both above and below ground). I have taken the bus, but not often. Sometimes, if I'm in a rush, I'll take a cab. The cost gives me a start, but I do it rarely, so I deal.
    We talk about getting rid of the second car and just going with Zip car or something, but it's just talk. Right now, the minimal cost of owning it is equal to the convenience of having it.
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle