Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

What a good dog!

To disable ads, please log-in.

I got up too early this morning and rode a little bit of the Cycle Across Maryland ride. After deciding I was horribly unprepared and just plain tired I gave up, came home and took a three hour nap.

While I was laying on the couch, the little dog (Roxina)
    (ok, that's not really the little dog, this is) started barking at something. Then the big girl (Ginger aka Gingy)joined in. I got up to discover a man right outside the door taking photos of the house. I told him to get off my property or I would let the dogs out. He was saying something but the dogs were so loud I had no idea what it was. As far as I know there is no reason for anyone to be taking photos of my house.
    He seemed to be getting pretty cocky, going as far as to put his foot on the low wall of my porch, leaning forward and resting his forearm on his knee.

So I let Ginger out.

I had no idea how this was going to play out since I'm not the person who trained her but my gamble paid off.
    She stayed on the property but told him in no uncertain,teeth-baring terms to get the heII out of there which he promptly did.

I'm so proud of my girl.
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

Sounds like he did not handle it well, but he could have had a legit reason for taking photos. Often when an appraisal is done a few other comparable houses in the are will be photographed and included in the appraisal. Then again he could have just been some weirdo....
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

Appraisal comps are done from recent listings of houses for sale or recently sold.
    I've seen lots of those lately.

His camera was pink
    No professional man would use a pink camera.

Did you ask for his name? it's always worth investigating people that show interest in your house.
    Of course he could be more than legitimate, for example architecture students do this all the time - or people like me that have chosen architectural photography as a hobby... BUT, until you know that someone has a legitimate reason (or a warrant) to collect evidence at your house (and pictures are evidence) - it is a good idea to look into it.
    But, hey, tell Ginger "good job"!

I thought of many possibilities and decided that, depending on the need for photos, he could have left a card or given advance notice.
    All I know for sure is I live alone and trust no one.

Good dogs, both of 'em! I assume you gave them treats and rubs? I can't think of any good reason for a stranger to come all the way up your walk to the front door and be taking pictures. If he's just interested in the architecture, he can see it from the roadside, and even that would be a bit spooky for me if I were living alone. We get people doing that here, but we know they're looking at the fjord view between our house and the neighbors. Other places I've lived, I'd've been spooked.
    Last edited by Duck on Wheels; 07-25-2008 at 02:16 PM.
    Half-marathon over. Sabbatical year over. It's back to "sacking shirt and oat cakes" as they say here.

I agree with Zen, if he had a legit reason for being there he could have knocked on her door to ask her permission since she was home. If he found that she wasn't home, he should probably still leave a note explaining what he was doing in case neighbors noticed and reported it to her when she returned. I'd find it creepy too if a stranger was taking pictures of my home without permission. Hopefully he's learned something from this experience because I've met homeowners that have a policy of shoot first and ask questions later.
    Everything in moderation, including moderation.

2007 Rodriguez Adventure/B72
    2009 Masi Soulville Mixte/B18
    1997 Trek 820 Step-thru Xtracycle/B17

Dh and I do lawns for foreclosed homes. We have had several occassions this year that they have given us the wrong address, we had one this week in fact. Our contractors tell us to take and send photos so that they can show evidence of the home being lived in and try to get the correct address. If my husband could have a pink camera and not be ridiculed by his friends, family, and anyone else, he would have one.
    Last edited by crazybikinchic; 07-25-2008 at 02:26 PM. Reason: to many words

Zen: I'm with you -- if it's legit they should knock and let you know before just wandering around your home. Good dog, Ginger!
    Everyone Deserves a Lifetime

Quote Originally Posted by jesvetmed View Post
    Zen: I'm with you -- if it's legit they should knock and let you know before just wandering around your home. Good dog, Ginger!
    My thoughts exactly. The guy should have knocked first. Atta girl, Ginger. Way to show 'im those pearly whites (without actually using them and getting Zen sued...).

A couple months ago, some neighborhood dumbazz tried stealing my kids' basketball right out of our garage, with me yelling at him to stop, and sprinting after the squealing-away car he jumped into. I figured someone that stupid had to also be stupid enough to steal something in their own neighborhood. Sure enough, I found the car just two streets away and promptly started taking pics of the license plate with my cell phone. Driver of car (not the thief, but an accomplice nonetheless) came out, said "hey, you can't do that." I was angry as hell and said if the basketball wasn't back at our house within the evening, I would be turning in the guy's license plate to the local police in the morning. Needless to say, we got the basketball back within an hour's time. I had my doggie Mayah at my heels as I answered the door, who played the part by giving the guy a low, continual growl of distrust (probably felt my animosity towards him). I think that sealed the deal. I love my dog!

~BikeMomma
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." --Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by BikeMomma View Post
    Atta girl, Ginger. Way to show 'im those pearly whites (without actually using them and getting Zen sued...).
    Even that crossed my mind (whew).
    I told the man if he didn't leave I was going to let her out. I guess he didn't believe me.

That's creepy, you did the right thing. Lucky you to have dogs, too.

By the way Zen, I know it's a pretty obvious question, but... Did you make a police report?
    Even if the trespasser did not give his name, you saw him so you can still give a description, correct? And if he touched anything on the property, like a gate or something, they could lift prints and run a check. It may turn out to be nothing, but better safe than sorry. And remember, cctv's on a home (along with the "area monitored by cctv" sign) never hurt and often serve as a good deterrent - although their maintenance may be a pain sometimes
    Also, if it was really someone with bad intentions (like a burglar or whatever), he may have checked out other homes in the area, and if more than one report from the same neighborhood are filed - that may convince the cops to investigate further and maybe patrol the area more.

All the self-defense and security experts say that the best home defense you can have is a good dog.

Good dogs!
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    All the self-defense and security experts say that the best home defense you can have is a good dog.
    Good dogs!
    Especially if he/she has BIG teeth and likes to show them at the right moment!
    Although a protective detail would probably eat less...